Positives...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Positives...

Well I'm back from a week-long vacation and I only had 1600 posts to catch up on and I have missed 7 baseball games. After reading through the weeks action it appears I have missed some ugly and some pretty things. Thought I would try something new with this post... Lets talk about only the positives in this thread... If someone wants to make a negatives thread go right ahead but please keep this thread on topic. I'd like it if someone could start out by offering up some of the good stuff I missed in the last weeks worth of action.

Although I have been really negative, I also feel this team could do some things once post-season rolls around. They really need to be ultra-focused and have some fun with it.

Probably the higlight of the last 7 games is Dusty Coleman hitting for the cycle Friday night.

Tyler Hill was 4 for 5 today.

It is time fellas. Let's Roll!

Comment

Clinton McKeever hit a bomb into 21st street. I have not seen that since maybe Drew Moffitt.
      First a Baseball fan then a Volleyball fan and then I guess I follow the basketball team.

Comment

Originally posted by shock10
        Clinton McKeever hit a bomb into 21st street. I have not seen that since maybe Drew Moffitt.
        The big time bombs are always good. Especially if they hit a car :D .

Comment

Big Keeve has improved all season long.

Comment

It's been awhile since we have seen one of those. That was fun to watch.

Comment

The current structure of Regionals doesn't demand the pitching depth that used to be required.

I don't think the Shox lack of wins against top teams means they can't beat top teams. It only means they haven't done it yet. Shox are due!! for some big wins. I'm looking for the Shox to go on the road for both a Regional and a Super-Regional.
              The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
              We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

As bad as I want to say wait til regional play comes and we face good pitching and then see how good our bats do...

It was a very fun weekend. Reminded me of the 1990's of what we did every weekend to Valley teams, instead of once a year.. sweep and sweep big.

Let's keep the momentum going into next week.

:posterwsu:
                Deuces Valley.
                ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by rrshock
                  The big time bombs are always good. Especially if they hit a car :D .
                  Chicks dig the long ball :good:
                  “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

Positives:
                    • Weekend pitching. We have three reliable starters. That's all any team needs to be successful in the postseason.
                    • Andy Dirks is having one hell of a season. .386 batting average, .500 on-base percentage, 69 runs scored, 9 home runs, 24 stolen bases.
                    • Ryan Jones has been solid in the #2 slot all season, hitting .339 with 16 stolen bases.
                      Both of these guys have been outstanding defensively.
                    • Conor Gillaspie could be the first Shocker to hit .400 in awhile. 65 RBI, a .658 slugging percentage, 16 stolen bases, 8 triples (tied for the most in the nation).
                      All three of these guys are outstanding baserunners - a combined 84% success rate stealing bases, and a stat not kept - they have done a super job in taking extra bases and advancing on pitches in the dirt.
                    • Clint McKeever has hit well since entering the lineup full time. I don't have the stats just over his last X number of games, but he's hitting .322 on the season now.
                    • Dusty Coleman has been an overall pleasant surprise offensively. He's hitting .328 with 67 RBI, with 12 stolen bases in 13 attempts. He went through a period where he was struggling with breaking pitches, but a lot of his hits lately have come off curve balls and sliders.
                    • Josh Workman has been a surprise (to ME at least) at just how good he has been defensively. And other than the pulled ribcage muscle has been healthy all season for the first time. Josh has been turning on some pitches lately, indicating he might finally be getting his swing (and his swagger) back.
                    • Tyler Weber hasn't had the kind of offensive season he would have liked, but he's a rock solid backstop.
                    • Tyler Hill also hasn't had a good season offensively, but he has been a very solid defensive first baseman. (.997 fielding percentage)
                    • Kenny Williams was a key part of our early season success. Mike Kennedy said he might be in uniform this week.

Comment

Been doing some research on the draft the last couple of days, Gillaspie is looking more and more like he could/should sneak into the first round. It would be the first time a player has done that in how long? That would be very cool.

Power is the obvious concern for a corner guy, but scouts are projecting his gap hitting to greater power in time.

Comment

How about...

Back to back conference championships. Been a while since thats happened.

Comment

I want to throw in that overall, Khol Nanney and Tim Kelley have had decent seasons in the closer and midweek starter roles.

Comment

Also the Shockers have now won every weekend series since the Long Beach St. Series. The Shockers won 12 weekend series and lost just 1. Went 30-8 for the year in weekend series.

I think that shows how well this team can play when Musgrave, Shafer, and Capra toe the mound on consecutive days. Don't count this team out of anything with those three all healthy and pitching well.

Comment

Originally posted by goshox24
                              Also the Shockers have now won every weekend series since the Long Beach St. Series. The Shockers won 12 weekend series and lost just 1. Went 30-8 for the year in weekend series.

I think that shows how well this team can play when Musgrave, Shafer, and Capra toe the mound on consecutive days. Don't count this team out of anything with those three all healthy and pitching well.
                              Exactly. Perfect combination for the postseason, if you ask me.

And it's probably why we're still hanging in the top 25. They can't drop us off that list, because they know this could be a dangerous team.

Can we get the Valley Tourney Championship?

Comment

Working...
                              X