UNI dropping baseball?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UNI dropping baseball?

I hope they do. Frees up an extra weekend where we can go schedule the U, or Rice. It will also help the Shox by not having to play an RPI killer in conference. I'm all for it.

Any time a mens sport gets cut it is bad news. I hope they keep it and believe they will. When the Valley added UNI and Eville everyone was skeptical. UNI has proven itself as legit while the Eville experiment has been a disaster. I would love to see them build an on campus facility there next to the dome and arena.

Comment

Ironic after they're having their best year ever that this news comes out.
      Deuces Valley.
      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by Shockerman
        Any time a mens sport gets cut it is bad news. I hope they keep it and believe they will. When the Valley added UNI and Eville everyone was skeptical. UNI has proven itself as legit while the Eville experiment has been a disaster. I would love to see them build an on campus facility there next to the dome and arena.

I do not agree that they have proven themselves as ligit. PERHAPS they are the neighbor down the street in the cheap house on the block that keeps a nice yard, but do not think for 1 second that having them on the block doesn't drive the value of the other homes down.

They made the good deal, not the Valley.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu
          Originally posted by Shockerman

I do not agree that they have proven themselves as ligit. PERHAPS they are the neighbor down the street in the cheap house on the block that keeps a nice yard, but do not think for 1 second that having them on the block doesn't drive the value of the other homes down.

They made the good deal, not the Valley.
          I couldn't agree more! The Valley could make some monumental steps forward by replacing Drake, UNI, and Evansville.

Comment

What is it with Iowa and collegiate baseball? UNI is thinking about droppping, Drake doesn't have it and Iowa State dropped baseball about 5 years ago. It is sad these teams cannot field a team given the strength of baseball in the state of Iowa in general.

Comment

Its called "Wraslin" With Title IX, its pretty tough to fund both of those mens sports. By the way, I love wrestling, but cutting one of the few sports that has revenue potential is crazy.

Comment

Revenue

Good point about wrestling, Shockerman, but revenue potential may be exactly what this is about.

It's no big deal in the Kansas college ranks, and I admit I don't what kind of wrestling history or tradition UNI has, but there are certainly schools that can make money on the sport. I know, for instance, that a school like Oklahoma State or Iowa can literally fill its arena for a big wrestling meet. If UNI can draw a good crowd to their little dome, they might very well get more attendance and gate money from a couple of meets than they do from an entire season of baseball. That being the case, if they had to choose one or the other to keep, it would be no contest.

Comment

Working...
                X