• Could we use a player like this?

Avg: .495
    HR: 12
    RBI: 53
    SB: 19

Why not. Built like Mark Standiford.

I'd give him a shot.

Comment

If he was from Oklahoma, they probably already would have signed him. Some MVC team (or KU/K-state) will take him, and he will pummel WSU.

Comment

Re: Could we use a player like this?

Originally posted by RoyalShock
        http://www.hutchnews.com/Sports/hcchoover2008-04-26T22-43-06

Avg: .495
        HR: 12
        RBI: 53
        SB: 19

Probably not. Possibly possesses too much power.

What's his 60 time? Can he be a plus defensive LF? If not, no use.

:roll:

Comment

The Hoover family is very athletic, but all are small guys. Hopefully someone will take a chance on him as I am sure he will show them that his size doesn't mean that he can't play.

Comment

Sign his ass up. Small guys can be successful, Kevin Hooper, UC Irvine's Olie Litton, etc.

He might have a dirtbag attitude that will fit well with the Shox too.

Comment

Maybe Jim Thomas is so great at developing a hitter, that he doesn't need one that's solid from the start?

:lol:

Comment

If you guys aren't interested, send him up our way.

If he signs with us, we could actually have a player shorter than our coach. :D

Comment

Originally posted by Ricky Bobby
                  Maybe Jim Thomas is so great at developing a hitter, that he doesn't need one that's solid from the start?

:lol:
                  You know, Thomas isn't exactly statuesque -- and wouldn't he love to hear that word used in the same sentence as his name -- himself. Shouldn't he have a soft spot for a 5-6 guy?

Comment

Shocker baseball history boasts more than its share of small guys who could flat out play, some with some pretty good pop in their bat.

Kevin Hooper, PJ Forbes, Blake Blasi, Mark Standiford and Jeff Ryan come to mind.

Jeff wasn't real small, but compare his size and power production to the guys we have now. What was Jeff, 5'9" and 185.

If you can play, you can play. I love the undersized guy that just drives the other team nuts because they can't them out in a clutch situation or they can't seem to ever get a ball past them in a clutch situation.

Comment

He's getting looks from Central MO and Bellevue, NE which are pretty good programs. He may be injury prone or it may be just bad luck, but I'd take a chance on the unknown kid.

Instead of playing summer ball, would he have to load up on summer courses to get the 60 credit hours needed to transfer to a D1? That appears to be a big challenge since not all JUCO credits transfer over to a D1 school.

Comment

How do you not give a guy like this a chance?
                        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

It would be an absolute crime if WSU doesn't give this guy a very strong look.

Comment

i've talked to one of his former coaches that said he just did things that forced you to put him on the field. he's built like an nfl running back, and runs like one. wouldn't hurt us to go outside of the mold for this one.

Comment

With the recent pipeline to HCC - Kent Becker, Noah Krol, Andy Dirks, Logan Hoch - one would think the staff knows about him.

I could see coaches wondering if this year is for real. But how do you ignore a line like his? Even a HS kid hitting .495 with power and speed would get noticed.

Comment

Working...
                              X