Dusty Coleman - Relief Pitcher???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dusty Coleman - Relief Pitcher???

Gene and Brent, what are you guys thinking????? The Dusty Coleman as relief pitcher experiment MUST END. This isn't a knock on Dusty at all, this is on Gene and Brent.

He has had no success against legit D-1 opponents and it has cost us games. Furthermore, when he enters the game as a pitcher, you take the defender with the most range away from the most important defensive position on the field, and either put a freshman with limited experience there or put another good, experienced defender out of position and a freshman in his spot (Gillaspie to SS, Muncrief to 3B).

In case anyone doesn't realize it, the move on Sunday also took Dirks out of the game as DH. When a position player enters the game as pitcher, you lose the DH. If the game would have been tied after 9 innings, the DH was due to hit 2nd in the 10th, but Dirks would have been a non-factor.

This is bad baseball.
    Basketball Season Tix since '77-78 . . . . . . Baseball Season Tix since '88

Yes!

Couldn't agree more, 85. Coleman may have the stuff and makeup to be a relief pitcher -- I'll certainly defer to Brent on that. But if so, he clearly isn't ready to translate them into performance in game situations.

If they insist on giving him work in spots, how about when they have what is suddenly a 14-7 ninth inning lead, rather than burning an inning by the guy who has been pretty (although I admit not totally) reliable? If you could go back and replay Sunday's 9th inning, wouldn't you rather have had Fleming come in to try for those last two outs after Hoch's defensive mishap and walk to fill the bases? That would also have left Gillaspie at third and Dirks in as DH.

Comment

Re: Dusty Coleman - Relief Pitcher???

Originally posted by Shocker85
      Gene and Brent, what are you guys thinking????? The Dusty Coleman as relief pitcher experiment MUST END. This isn't a knock on Dusty at all, this is on Gene and Brent.
      There were several head scratcher type decision in this game - it make you really wonder if the game has PASSED them by like they are always fond of saying.

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock
        There were several head scratcher type decision in this game - it make you really wonder if the game has PASSED them by like they are always fond of saying.
        I have to agree, I don't know that I've ever complained about a decision made, but while I was listening to the game, and heard that Gene was sending Weber home, in the 9th I thought to myself "Why?". It was obvious to me he was going to get thrown out and I wasn't even watching the game! I even thought to myself, "At least it won't come back to bite us..." I assumed like everyone else that we would finish the game out and win...I sat down my radio for a minute and started watching TV and then remebered the game was going and picked it back about 15 or 20 minutes into the ISU 9th expecting to hear the post game show, but instead hear Mike Kennedy say the winning run was at third, and something about Coleman out of the game. I had no idea about what had just happened, but WTF!! were they thinking!?!

Comment

Originally posted by martymoose
          Originally posted by SB Shock
          I have to agree, I don't know that I've ever complained about a decision made, but while I was listening to the game, and heard that Gene was sending Weber home, in the 9th I thought to myself "Why?". It was obvious to me he was going to get thrown out and I wasn't even watching the game! I even thought to myself, "At least it won't come back to bite us..." I assumed like everyone else that we would finish the game out and win...I sat down my radio for a minute and started watching TV and then remebered the game was going and picked it back about 15 or 20 minutes into the ISU 9th expecting to hear the post game show, but instead hear Mike Kennedy say the winning run was at third, and something about Coleman out of the game. I had no idea about what had just happened, but WTF!! were they thinking!?!
          Moose,
          It was worse to witness in person.
          When I saw Gene doing his windmill with Weber, I literally yelled out "NO!" The InSU catcher had enough time to text his girlfriend AND order a pizza before Weber finally arrived. It was THAT bad.
          The musical chairs they played with Coleman, Gillespie and Muncrief looked like a Keystone Cops re-make. When the ground ball went under Muncrief's glove it was obvious he wasn't loose and couldn't reach it. Gillespie, at the very least, would have kept it in the infield. The whole deal sucked. 8)
          Above all, make the right call.

Comment

The bottom line is this team does not have a reliable go to closer. Dusty simply has not had enough work and with the injuries to Workman and Sisney our flexibility on the infiled is limited.

Ideally, Gene probably should have left Logan Hoch in the game, but he did walk the guy after blowing the potnential game ending double play.

Andy Womack and Matt Smith just have not proven they can get the job done.

Anthony Capra is probably our best candidate to be a stud closer, but Cameron Maldonado's injury limited our options for starting pitching.

Justin Kemp is a guy I would like to see get more chances to shut down games. I understand he is very inexperienced but we have to develope someone to close and the sooner the better.

Comment

Simply said......don't we have enough PITCHERS on the bench to use!?

Comment

Originally posted by 4shocks
                Simply said......don't we have enough PITCHERS on the bench to use!?
                Oh we had pitchers all right, but they would have given the same result.

Comment

If we had an IF to replace DC with when he pitches he would have gotten more innings early in the year and would be more effective now as a result.He has nasty stuff and would be a good closer if he had more innings.Anybody miss Harrison Dreiling after seeing Sisney and Brown fill in?I know I do.

Comment

Working...
                  X