Remaining season outlook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Silly

It's silly to speculate on what record or performance is required to be a regional host, inasmuch as none of us has a clue. Why not just watch and see what happens instead of getting all worked up?

Obviously the Shocks aren't playing well right now, but in basbeall all teams have slumps. We've seen this before, and sometimes they emerge pretty powerfully while sometimes (less often, I'd say, but that's just me) they continue to struggle and just fade away.

Personally, I expect this team to right the ship and perform well in post-season play. How far that leads is anyone's guess; baseball is a game of inches in which a hard-hit ball just fair or just foul, or a bad hop, or a bad call, can change the outcome of a given game -- and when that given game is a regional final, or in a super, it can thereby change the whole season.

I do expect good things to come, and I expect that whether they happen in Wichita or somewhere else. But nothing will surprise me -- a regional in Wichita, a regional on the road (I'm not on the selection committee and don't know anyone who is), a trip to Omaha, or a failure to make the super. As I've said previously, Musgrave, Shafer, and Capra are good enough that if they bring their A games and get hot, they can keep WSU playing well into June. Yet if even one falters at the wrong time, the season could also end prematurely.

I'll just have to wait and see -- and so will everyone else, I might add. So why worry about that which I can't control?

Comment

We are 30-10 with no wins against the Top 25 and an RPI of 29 (30 in Boyds World). We are not hosting a regional if these numbers continue to be status quo the remainder of the season. It is not too early to speculate, this is a no brainer at this point, again, we still have an outside shot if we can get healthy offensively and back playing with a chip on our shoulder.

But right now, that is a big IF. Combining the horrible defense of late with our lack of production in the 5-9 hitters, we are in trouble.

Comment

ESPN's projection - we ain't hosting. But I wouldn't mind seeing us in this one. I think we would have a chance.

Comment

Re: Silly

Originally posted by WSUwatcher
          As I've said previously, Musgrave, Shafer, and Capra are good enough that if they bring their A games and get hot, they can keep WSU playing well into June. Yet if even one falters at the wrong time, the season could also end prematurely.
          And then there's the thing you're forgetting. We can't constantly put the pressure on the pitching staff and have them hold opponents to 1 or 2 runs every freaking game. I'm not concerned with our pitching at all, well minus the relief part. It's all about the bats. Our offense has slid lately and thus that had made it seem like our starters are doing crappy, picking up the L's. But really, it's the lack of hitting and the retarded errors that are killing us.

I'm not on the selection committee, but I can tell you right now, we are not gonna host, unless some other team in front of us has a bigger meltdown and we get lucky.

Sorry.
          Deuces Valley.
          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by KC Shox
            ESPN's projection - we ain't hosting. But I wouldn't mind seeing us in this one. I think we would have a chance.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/...t&lid=tab6pos2
            A lot of storylines and history would go into that first game.. WSU vs. LSU. Wow. That's be interesting.
            Deuces Valley.
            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

LSU appears to be on par with us, not overwhelming offensively, even Nebaraska for that matter. Looks like this regional's winner will be the team that finds their offense first.

Comment

Re: Silly

Originally posted by WSUwatcher
                It's silly to speculate on what record or performance is required to be a regional host, inasmuch as none of us has a clue. Why not just watch and see what happens instead of getting all worked up?
                I don't think you have to worry about any more speculation (except maybe the deranged).

Comment

We may be playing oueselves into a long trip for regionals.Way out west.

Comment

1. Oklahoma State
                    2. Wichita State
                    3. Arkansas
                    4. Southern Cal

Tough regional!

Comment

Originally posted by CharlieHog
                      http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/college/on-campus/2008/265957.html

1. Oklahoma State
                      2. Wichita State
                      3. Arkansas
                      4. Southern Cal

Tough regional!
                      Any regional for us would be a tough regional.
                      Deuces Valley.
                      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Time to rachet down expectations for this year team. I'm not really concerned at all anymore about our chances for hosting a regional because we simply do not have enough quality wins on our resume. We have not earned nor do we deserve to host a regional.

At this point winning the MVC is becoming a big question mark. Our guys seem to have forgotten how to win. Earlier in the year I thought this might be a team that would develop a "refuse to lose" attititude, but that has long slipped away.

Will Musgrave, Shafer and Capra be able to carry us to an MVC Championship. I hope so, but I don't think it is a slam dunk by any means.

If we win the MVC, we shoud be able to get into a regional. Maybe we can catch new life in the post season assuming we get there.

Obviously, the upcoming series with UNI is huge and perhaps has become THE inflection point for this season.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever
                          Any regional for us would be a tough regional.
                          That's been the case the past 15 years.

Comment

HOLY SMOKES FOLKS! We went from having an RPI of 20 last weekend to having an RPI of 36 now. Those three losses really hurt.

Comment

Originally posted by KC Shox
                              HOLY SMOKES FOLKS! We went from having an RPI of 20 last weekend to having an RPI of 36 now. Those three losses really hurt.
                              With Evansville and Bradley on the docket - their RPI is about to take another hit.

WSU has to go 11-1 to have a RPI in the Top 32

If WSU goes 9-3, they will have an RPI in the top 45.

Comment

Working...
                              X