Daily Oklahoman: Despite family ties, Fleming chose Wichita

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daily Oklahoman: Despite family ties, Fleming chose Wichita

STILLWATER – During Tyler Fleming's baseball recruiting trip to Oklahoma State, his hosts entered the southwest lobby of Gallagher-Iba Arena and paused at the basketball memorial honoring those lost in the 2001 plane crash.

Fleming had stood there, emotion-filled, before.

A cousin of former Cowboy Nate Fleming, one of the 10 who died that January 2001 night in Colorado, Tyler considered Nate his role model. Partly for that reason, Tyler seriously considered OSU. Eventually, however, he went with Wichita State, set to visit the Cowboys tonight at 6:30 p.m. in a non-conference clash of regional baseball powers.

In the latest Baseball America poll, OSU is No. 13, Wichita State No. 14. Come time for postseason, both schools should be in the mix to host a regional or super regional – even competing for those coveted roles.

"I thought about that for a minute,” said Cowboys coach Frank Anderson, "but we've got so much more to take care of in conference and all that to just continue to play well. Conference is still the most important thing.

"So I don't know that it becomes any more or less important than any other mid-week game, other than it's Wichita State and it's a good regional rivalry and one we want to continue to have.”

Wow

That's pretty remarkable. How in the world did WSU manage to recruit this guy away from OSU?

Comment

Re: Wow

Originally posted by WSUwatcher
      That's pretty remarkable. How in the world did WSU manage to recruit this guy away from OSU?

WE ARE WICHITA STATE.

Comment

If I'm not mistaken I think a member of his family was also Brents mentor way back in the day. Obviously if your a pitcher WSU over OSU is a pretty simple choice. Or would appear to be on paper at least.

Comment

And if you are a hitter,OSU over WSU is the choice.At least these days it is.

Comment

The size of the home park has as much to do with it.

None of the HRs last night would have been HRs in our yard.

In other words, I'd win a lot of dunk contests on 8 ft goals. That doesn't make me a great basketball player.

Comment

Good point. Ballparks are a huge factor in stats.

Andy's second one might have been out of Eck, though.

Comment

I dont think his second would have been but his first clearly would have as it was dead center at the 398 mark on the fence.

Comment

Originally posted by t7017s
                  I dont think his second would have been but his first clearly would have as it was dead center at the 398 mark on the fence.
                  I thought his second one had more pop to it and could have been just as far as his first. It was a no-doubter that cleared the right field wall by at least 15-20 feet.
                  Deuces Valley.
                  ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Working...
                  X