WSU Students Commit to Building Excellence Phase I Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WSU Students Commit to Building Excellence Phase I Project

"WICHITA, Kan. – Wichita State University today announced the commitment from the WSU student body for nearly $1.4 million over 10 years in student fees to bring Phase I of the Building Excellence for the Student-Athlete project one step closer to fruition, Director of Athletics Jim Schaus announced today."

WICHITA, Kan. ? Wichita State University today announced the commitment from the WSU student body for nearly $1.4 million over 10 years in student fees to bring Phase I of the Building Excellence for the Student-Athlete project one step closer to fruition, Director of Athletics Jim Schaus announced today.

This brings Phase I to within about $400,000 of its target.

--'85.
    Basketball Season Tix since '77-78 . . . . . . Baseball Season Tix since '88

Great news! :clap:

Comment

I didn't sign anything at school. Oh well...

Comment

Originally posted by Hotel Paper
        The president of the student body probably did. They're not going to go around and try and get a signature from each student about this. That's what the SGA is for, to speak on behalf of the thousands of students.
        "You can observe a lot just by watching."
        -- Yogi Berra

Comment

I'm all for it. I'm willing to pay the extra bit in student fees.
          Deep in the heart of couldn't give a crap about college basketball-land and I miss the SHOX.
          Students > Alumni
          If you EVER want to open your damn mouths about Selection Sunday, READ THIS FIRST: http://www.midmajority.com/p/1296
          The ONLY document that means ANYTHING: http://www.bbstate.com/schools/WICH/sheet

Comment

Originally posted by Hotel Paper
            The president didn't ask me if I wanted a $1,500 rebate check. Oh well.

Now we need to get the student body to raise fees for football... ;-)

Comment

I think that we all ought to sign our rebate checks from uncle sam over to the university to start football.
              Let's hope he can hit a D-1 Curve ball!

"God gave us the ability to reason, not religion" http://www.deism.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Shirley Schmidt
                I think that we all ought to sign our rebate checks from uncle sam over to the university to start football.
                I'd do it if it brought football back.

Comment

Is JS still AD?
                  Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
                  Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

Always easy to spend other people's money. On the other hand, $1,400,000 over 10 years spread among 15,000 studemts is not a huge deal.

In addition there is some value given in exchange for the support which I have no problem with:

The contribution provides the students usage of the indoor practice facility for intramurals, club sports, general recreation or special events. They will also receive an additional 10 years of complimentary tickets to men’s basketball games at Charles Koch Arena.
                    I guess they did not want complimenary baseball tickets.

I am still somewhat surprised that only 180 donors have participated in the project so far. I have to say I am surprised with how shallow the support for Shocker Baseball has been with this project, especially after the support shown at last year's regional and super-regional.

$400,000 more to go for Phase 1. Should be doable. Phase II may have to be deferred indefinitely.

As far as donating rebate checks to Shocker football. I think I will pass. If it takes us this much time and effort to raise these funds for our nationally respected baseball team, then football remains a pipe dream at best unless we have a Boone Pickens in hiding among Shocker alumni.

Comment

Originally posted by SpanglerFan316
                      Is JS still AD?
                      I think until April 22nd. Eric takes over on April 23rd I believe, although I heard he has pretty much been Jim's shadow since his hiring was announced.

Jim was at the basketball banquet last night. Saw him on the tube.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker
                        In addition there is some value given in exchange for the support which I have no problem with:

The contribution provides the students usage of the indoor practice facility for intramurals, club sports, general recreation or special events. They will also receive an additional 10 years of complimentary tickets to men’s basketball games at Charles Koch Arena.
                        I guess they did not want complimenary baseball tickets.
                        I think students can enter free at Eck with their student ID during the regular season. So I don't think they need tickets to that.
                        "You can observe a lot just by watching."
                        -- Yogi Berra

Comment

Kennedy went off script at the hoops banquet last night to honor JS. He received a well-deserved standing ovation. Jim's wife, Priscilla, was extremely emotional at the end of the evening, as I think this was one of their last public events. Pretty touching stuff, actually.
                          Wear your seatbelt.

Comment

Like it or not football would raise money easier than baseball no matter how good the baseball team is. That's just the way it is. I'd give my rebate check for football as well if it would help. Then I'd give a little more.
                            Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                            RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                            Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                            ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                            Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                            Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

I have quite a hard time believing that football would be a money maker. I have no problem with bringing it back if it can be financed, I just have a hard time swallowing the economic benefits.

Of the teams in the Valley who play football, is it a money maker for them? I have no idea, I can only ask, rhetorically, "there are schools in the Valley who play football?"

Comment

Working...
                              X