Wheat Shockers versus Corn Huskers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheat Shockers versus Corn Huskers

Nebraska is coming off a 1-2 series loss to OK State. They'll be pissed when they face us at home and will want to make themselves feel better by making us feel worse.

As a team, they are batting .282 while holding their opponents to a .235 average. They do not appear to be too good offensively, so this is good for us. But, they have faced stiffer competition than we have so the lower team batting average probably has contributed to this.

This game may or may not have some sort of influence on who gets to host. Both teams hosted regionals in 2002 (I believe), so if we win or lose, doesn't mean we blew our chance to host. But winning sure won't hurt either.

As far as pitching is concerned, we may see Johnny Wholestaff or one or two of their weekend starters. The only pitcher I can eliminate is their ace Johnny Dorn. Their third and fourth guys in terms of innings thrown, pitched today 4 innings a piece. Their second place inning guy, Thad Weber only pitchd 3 innings on Saturday. I wouldn't be suprised that they use Thad Weber, Dan Jennings or Aaron Pribanic 3 or 4 innings when they face us.

The series is tied 4-4 the past 8 games. With the home team seemingly the winning team.

Am I 1-0 so far or 2-0?

I feel good about our chances. Tim Kelley has been pretty solid, and has gotten better each outing IMO. Fleming threw two innings today, but should be ready. Logan Hoch did not throw at all this weekend. Nanney threw just one inning. I'd like to get 6 from Kelley and then turn it over to the bullpen and cross our fingers.

Comment

With the way Hoch and Nanney threw last week in Manhattan, I would be surprised if they let Kelley go longer than 5 innings. Not that he isn't capable, but I think the coaching staff would rather pull him before something does happen. If we hold a one run lead after 5, I think you let Hoch try to hold them right where they are. This game is huge.

Comment

Originally posted by haysdb
        Am I 1-0 so far or 2-0?

I feel good about our chances. Tim Kelley has been pretty solid, and has gotten better each outing IMO. Fleming threw two innings today, but should be ready. Logan Hoch did not throw at all this weekend. Nanney threw just one inning. I'd like to get 6 from Kelley and then turn it over to the bullpen and cross our fingers.
        Are you counting the Tabor game already?

Comment

Am I 1-0 so far or 2-0?

You are 1-0. We started after the Kansas game. Are you going to count the Tabor game? Please say no.

Comment

Looks like the Corn Huskers are starting Junior RHP Erik Bird. He is 1-1 with a 5.19 ERA. He's been used in middle relief and as a mid-week starter. He got shelled against OK State this weekend in relief and has mid-week starts against Northern Colorado and SDSU.

The site also states that they expect one of their biggest crowds of the year for this game and it will be televised in the area. We have got to punish this guy and get out on top big to take the crowd out of the game. This is winnable since they are batting .282 as a team and throwing out a guy with a 5.19 ERA.

Our offense needs to show up like the second game at Creighton instead of games 1 and 3 against them.

The Huskers site says they are 38-19 since 2002 against ranked teams at home.

Comment

WRONG better make that 38 & 20!!

Go Shocks!!!!
              “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

Originally posted by KC Shox
                Looks like the Corn Huskers are starting Junior RHP Erik Bird. He is 1-1 with a 5.19 ERA. He's been used in middle relief and as a mid-week starter. He got shelled against OK State this weekend in relief and has mid-week starts against Northern Colorado and SDSU.

The site also states that they expect one of their biggest crowds of the year for this game and it will be televised in the area. We have got to punish this guy and get out on top big to take the crowd out of the game. This is winnable since they are batting .282 as a team and throwing out a guy with a 5.19 ERA.

Our offense needs to show up like the second game at Creighton instead of games 1 and 3 against them.

The Huskers site says they are 38-19 since 2002 against ranked teams at home.
                That would be nice but im much more concerned with our fielding and our pitchers giving away bases with no outs. Combine the two and things get real messy real fast. I hope the guys are ready to focus and kick some ass.

Comment

The Official Athletic Site of the University of Nebraska, partner of WMT Digital. The most comprehensive coverage of the University of Nebraska on the web with rosters, schedules, scores, highlights, game recaps and more!

Comment

Am I 1-0 so far or 2-0?

You are 1-0. We started after the Kansas game. Are you going to count the Tabor game? Please say no.
                    It is the replacement game so I think it should count.

Link to the original bet? I forgot it was just OOC games.

Comment

FYI: We get it on KN22 here in the big ICT.

Comment

No, it wouldn't be right to count Tabor.

If the bet started after the Kansas game, then it would include Oral Roberts and K-State. 2-0.

Comment

Big game tonight. The temp will be in the 60's throughout the game with a strong wind from the south at around 25mph. I have never been to Haymarket. How will the strong south wind effect the hitting/pitching?

Comment

Nevermind, looks like a south wind will blow out to left field.

Comment

Originally posted by shocks771
                              Nevermind, looks like a south wind will blow out to left field.
                              To an extent, yes, but not so much as Eck. More help down the left field line. Think of how a stiff north wind helps balls at Eck down the right field line, that's sorta what a south wind does to balls at Hawks Field to left.

Does that make any sense at all?

--'85.
                              Basketball Season Tix since '77-78 . . . . . . Baseball Season Tix since '88

Comment

Working...
                              X