Kansas Stars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kansas Stars

Has anyone went out to their games? I've been to all of their games and had a good time just watching them enjoy themselves.

If you haven't went, why or why not? I think it is a great thing for the NBC. That tournament has been hurt by a number of things, including the decline of Wichita State baseball.

Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
    Has anyone went out to their games? I've been to all of their games and had a good time just watching them enjoy themselves.

If you haven't went, why or why not? I think it is a great thing for the NBC. That tournament has been hurt by a number of things, including the decline of Wichita State baseball.
    Went Monday night and it is concerning the lack of attendance for the games they are playing. Makes me wonder if even building a new stadium and adding affiliated baseball will work. I am all for a new stadium, but it is concerning. I think the decline of the tournament has to do with the declining talent that is coming with these teams. Not seeing the same level of play as I did in the 90's.

Comment

Level of play has been an issue. I'm not a fan of the format. 14 days is a long tournament and all the pool play can make for meaningless games. A lot of what I grew up on is gone: the buy-in free games, around the clock, teams from Alaska. I've been to two of the three Stars games and two other nights and have enjoyed the weather, but been disappointed by the quality of play at times.

Side note: As we learned in the early 2000's "Chicks dig the long ball". Wood bats and a large LD stadium make for very few home runs and lots of room for outfielders to run down fly balls.

Comment

Originally posted by shocktheheart View Post
        I think the decline of the tournament has to do with the declining talent that is coming with these teams. Not seeing the same level of play as I did in the 90's.
        One year on my birthday, my dad and grandfather took me to the title game. Midlothian beat Liberal 21-1. Those guys could mash the baseball!
        78-65

Comment

Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post
          One year on my birthday, my dad and grandfather took me to the title game. Midlothian beat Liberal 21-1. Those guys could mash the baseball!
          Aluminum bats helped those scores as well. I know why they use the wood bats now, but does make for a lot of pitcher duels which the non baseball diehards have trouble paying attention.

Comment

A further point on level of play. Stars beat Liberal 8-0 on just four hits. Four errors for Liberal (2 easy fly balls pop out of gloves) and a bunch of walks and back to back HBP. Tough to watch, even with Major Leaguers.

Now, the catch by the right fielder, wow. Best catch I have ever witnessed. Over the shoulder while sliding to avoid running into the wall.

Comment

I never went to go see the Liberal Bee Jays or El Dorado Broncos or Anchorage Glacier Pilots.

I went to go see Nate Robertson, Casey Blake, Kevin Hooper and the like. There are probably 1,000 people just like me who now have no interest in the tournament due to lack of Shocker influence and swagger.

All that being said, the Stars have made it interesting again for me to go.

Comment

Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
                I never went to go see the Liberal Bee Jays or El Dorado Broncos or Anchorage Glacier Pilots.

I went to go see Nate Robertson, Casey Blake, Kevin Hooper and the like. There are probably 1,000 people just like me who now have no interest in the tournament due to lack of Shocker influence and swagger.

All that being said, the Stars have made it interesting again for me to go.
                Perhaps you aren't quite as aged as I am but I remember going out to the NBC Touranment to watch Isaiah "Fireball" Jackson. I assume most on here know that story, but some may not. For those who saw Fireball it was a lasting memory.

In any case here is an article about Fireball's life. It's from 12 years ago but I have never seen it. I thought it was very good.
                Last edited by 1972Shocker; August 4, 2017, 04:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                  Perhaps you aren't quite as aged as I am but I remember going out to the NBC Touranment to watch Isaiah "Fireball" Jackson. I assume most on here now that story, but some may not. For those who saw Fireball it was a lasting memory.

In any case here is an article about Fireball's life. It's from 12 years ago but I have never seen it. I thought it was very good.
                  Are you kidding me? The LSP Red Sox were one of the first teams I remember seeing play in person. In addition to Fireball, they had a couple of other really good players. Sherman Coleman, who recently passed away, played in the Yankees organization and they had another couple of guys that had played pro ball at some level. Too bad none of them could stay out of trouble. I'm actually contemplating writing a book about Fireball and his cast of characters.

Comment

Service Auto Glass and the Boeing Bombers had some very good teams in those days also.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                      Service Auto Glass and the Boeing Bombers had some very good teams in those days also.

Helps when you've got 4 or 5 guys that at least got a cup of coffee in the bigs and are still under 40.

Comment

Working...
                      X