SEBaseball Regional Projection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bored, cont'd

Dizzle, before you get all worked up about nothing, have you considered the possibility that the guy doesn't have a clue? We already know he has no influence, so what the hell -- he can blow smoke all he wants.

Maybe he does believe that the world will end on May 11, in which case none of us will be around to scoff at his silly projection anyway

Comment

Originally posted by CharlieHog
      Originally posted by ShockerFever
      I bet it has more to do with the RPI. I really don't think anybody that legitimately follows college baseball (Mark does) would have a bias against non-BCS schools.
      A team with a Top 30 RPI, a 24-4 record, and a No.5 national ranking and to be a No.2 seed at the No.5 national seed's ballpark isn't bias?

You're joking right?

Well the top 16 teams get 1 seeds. So a top 30 RPI gets you a 2 seed. Not saying RPI is all they do or should go by, but it's an explanation that doesn't require a tin foil hat if you know what I mean.
      If that theory held true, then a non-power baseball conference school would never get a No.1 seed. The Valley is going to continually penalize WSU's RPI because WSU is in the Valley. Is that WSU's fault?

Let me ask you something.

If Arkansas had the same numbers WSU had (and yes I know if Arkansas had a No.5 ranking, they'd likely have a Top 5 RPI, but let's just say hypothetically), what would you think their seed and hosting/traveling responsibilities should be?
      Deuces Valley.
      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by Cdizzle
        I bet it has more to do with the RPI. I really don't think anybody that legitimately follows college baseball (Mark does) would have a bias against non-BCS schools.
        A team with a Top 30 RPI, a 24-4 record, and a No.5 national ranking and to be a No.2 seed at the No.5 national seed's ballpark isn't bias?

You're joking right?

Well the top 16 teams get 1 seeds. So a top 30 RPI gets you a 2 seed. Not saying RPI is all they do or should go by, but it's an explanation that doesn't require a tin foil hat if you know what I mean.
        So will the RPI ever be used without a double standard?

You'll have to explain that to me.
        If they want to rank everyone by their RPI, I wouldn't have a problem with it. Not at all. We could look at the schedule and say, "we should have done this differently". But if they're just going to rank people however they want, and then use that as an excuse in certain cases, then I don't buy it. As others have pointed out, there really isn't much need to worry about it right now anyway, the only thing we can do at this point is win. We do that, and everything else will take care of itself.

Comment

You're joking right?

If that theory held true, then a non-power baseball conference school would never get a No.1 seed. The Valley is going to continually penalize WSU's RPI because WSU is in the Valley. Is that WSU's fault?

Let me ask you something.

If Arkansas had the same numbers WSU had (and yes I know if Arkansas had a No.5 ranking, they'd likely have a Top 5 RPI, but let's just say hypothetically), what would you think their seed and hosting/traveling responsibilities should be?

I am not arguing that RPI is or should be the only deciding factor in deciding seeding. I said that's just one possible explanation. Also just looking at WarrenNolan's RPI really quick I think I counted 10 non-BCS conference teams with RPI's higher than yours, and several in the top 16.

Comment

I am not arguing that RPI is or should be the only deciding factor in deciding seeding. I said that's just one possible explanation. Also just looking at WarrenNolan's RPI really quick I think I counted 10 non-BCS conference teams with RPI's higher than yours, and several in the top 16.
            I think you missed the key phrase in my post... 'non-power baseball conference'. There's a difference in power conferences for baseball and other sports. The Big West and Conference USA are power baseball conferences. The Valley, on the other hand, is not.

And you still didn't answer my initial question..
            Deuces Valley.
            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Rivals is all a joke. WSU at #14? In the 4 other major polls we are 5,5,8, and 9.

Comment

So is it time then for WSU to look for another conference?

Could WSU fill that 12th spot in the Big 12 and still play MVC in everything else?

Comment

Originally posted by rrshock

Could WSU fill that 12th spot in the Big 12 and still play MVC in everything else?
                  I think there are two spots b/c neither Colorado nor Iowa State have baseball.

This is an idea that has been discussed, but even calling it unlikely is a stretch.

There was a newspaper columnist in Texas, possibly Houston, that suggested the Big 12 add WSU and Rice for baseball only.

That would be one helluva baseball conference.

Comment

Be careful what you wish for, the record of never winning less than 40 games a year could be in serious trouble it that scenario played out.
                    Let's hope he can hit a D-1 Curve ball!

"God gave us the ability to reason, not religion" http://www.deism.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Shirley Schmidt
                      Be careful what you wish for, the record of never losing less than 40 games a year could be in serious trouble it that scenario played out.
                      If I had a record of never losing less than 40 games a year, I would be happy to see it broken.
                      "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Originally posted by ABC
                        Originally posted by rrshock

I think there are two spots b/c neither Colorado nor Iowa State have baseball.

This is an idea that has been discussed, but even calling it unlikely is a stretch.

There was a newspaper columnist in Texas, possibly Houston, that suggested the Big 12 add WSU and Rice for baseball only.

That would be one helluva baseball conference.
                        That would indeed.

I was just throwing that out as an option. If everyone is so unhappy with the MVC holding down WSU.

Comment

You're joking right?

Charlie ... Is your post serious? RPI means nothing.
                          Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
                          Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

Re: SEBaseball Regional Projection

Originally posted by SekShocker
                            What a joke:

Lincoln Regional

1. Nebraska
                            4. Illinois Chicago

2. Wichita State
                            3. Oral Roberts

Nebraska as the #5 National Seed. Check out some of the other host sites that they project. Are you kidding me. I know it doesn't mean anything, but come on we deserve more respect than this we should be projected as a host and 1 seed, if not a possible national seed at this point in the season. I know it only matters in June, but this still pisses me off a little.
                            The products that SEBaseball put out are quality (it's not rival).

Bottomline is WSU body of work at this moment has not earned them a No. 1 seed. Keep winning mid-week games and dominate the MVC.

Here is the Top 16 seeds, who should WSU replace as No. 1? I have highlighted the teams I think that WSU could replace. Here is WSU numbers to this point:

RPI 29, 5-3 versus Top 50, 2-1 versus Top 51-100

1. Florida St. - RPI 1, 11-2 versus Top 50
                            2. Miami - RPI 2, 10-2 versus Top 50
                            3. Arizona St. - RPI 3, 9-2 versus Top 50
                            4. N. Carolina - RPI 4, 3-3 versus Top 50, 15-3 versus Top 51-100
                            5. Nebraska - RPI 5, 6-4 versus Top 50, 16-0 versus Top 51-100
                            6. California - RPI 7, 12-4 versus Top 50, 6-2 versus Top 51-100
                            7. Stanford - RPI 6, 12-5 versus Top 50 (negative 2-4 versus 101-200)
                            8. CSF - RPI 11, 10-8 versus Top 50, 5-2 versus Top 51-100

9. Florda - RPI 13, 10-7 versus Top 50
                            10. S. Carolina - RPI 12, 7-8 versus Top 50, 9-0 versus Top 51-100
                            11. UNC-Wilmingtnon - RPI 20, 3-1 versus Top 50, 4-1, versus Top 51-100
                            12. Georgia - RPI 18, 12-7 versus Top 50,
                            13. S. Miss - RPI 8, 4-7 versus Top 50, 8-2 versus Top 51-100
                            14. Rice - RPI 23, 6-8 versus Top 50, 2-0 versus Top 51-100
                            15. UC-Irvine - RPI 9, 2-3 versus Top 50, 11-1 versus Top 51-100
                            16. Oregon St. - RPI 15, 5-7 versus Top 50, 3-2 versus Top 51-100

Comment

I think you missed the key phrase in my post... 'non-power baseball conference'. There's a difference in power conferences for baseball and other sports. The Big West and Conference USA are power baseball conferences. The Valley, on the other hand, is not.

Okay then I agree. You are the one that said "BCS BS" not "power conference" BS. That's why I said you can't have a BCS bias and follow college baseball, because not all power conferences are BCS conferences.

You guys are a traditional baseball power, in a relatively weak geographical area (for hosting regionals), with a nice big stadium. You guys need to shrug that chip off your shoulder in this sport.

Comment

Okay then I agree. You are the one that said "BCS BS" not "power conference" BS. That's why I said you can't have a BCS bias and follow college baseball, because not all power conferences are BCS conferences.

You guys are a traditional baseball power, in a relatively weak geographical area (for hosting regionals), with a nice big stadium. You guys need to shrug that chip off your shoulder in this sport.
                                But Charlie! Our weather the first week of June is usually just as good as the SEC's weather the first week of March. :D

In all reality you are right. It is harder for us to host in the Midwest than if we were in the South. If one or two Big 12 North teams have a great year we struggle to host no matter how good we are.

Comment

Working...
                                X