New Batting Order

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Batting Order

We're just over half way through the season and the Shox have played a few decent teams and a quite a few patsies. There have been enough games and enough ABs to indicate who is getting it done and who isn't.

I, for one, think it is time to adjust the line-up some to maximize production. Here's my batting order and why.

1) Kenny Williams, Jr. - Discussion on another thread. Kid is a legit hitter and FAST! 7 2B, 2 3B, .442 OBP. Strikes out a little too much for a leadoff guy, but he's getting better every day as he gains experience.

2) Josh Workman - .430 OBP, and fast, too. Josh seems a bit hesitant to steal bases, but otherwise a decent baserunner. He's a patient hitter who gets on base. I like the idea of hit-and-run with Gillaspie or Dirks when Workman in on base.

3) Conor Gillaspie - Best Shocker hitter in A LONG TIME. It seems like he hits the ball hard every time. Sick average, amazing gap power.

4) Andy Dirks - Very selective hitter. Makes solid contact. Fast. He's a great leadoff hitter, but he's also the best bat in the line-up to protect Gillaspie due to his patience at the plate and gap power. Andy may lead this team in HR by the end of the season. #2 on the team in Slg%.

5) Ryan Jones - Another guy with gap power and decent speed. I think he's hitting well enough to be a run producer

6) Dusty Coleman - Dusty hasn't hit a bomb since the Harvard series - that's a month. Other than the 2 HR vs. LBSU, Dusty's HR's were vs Harvard and a D2 team. Leads the team in K. Moving down to the lower part takes the pressure off. I love Dusty, but he's too high in the order. If he can't adjust to the breaking pitches, maybe he moves down even further.

7) Clint McKeever - Has had some good ABs recently and takes a might cut. Still strikes out too much, but he can be a factor. Clint has good speed for a big man.

8) Tyler Weber - Good average so far, but somewhat inconsistent. Tyler is a base clogger when he's too high in the order.

9) Tyler Hill - Tyler needs to get his head right at the plate. He's tied for the team lead in 2B but is striking out way too often. I like him in the lineup, because I think he's a very good 1B.

This is just an idea, and is an awful lot of shuffling (which I doubt Gene would do). Swap Jones and Workman, and it isn't a whole lot different than the current line with KWJ moved into the leadoff spot and Dirks in the 4 hole, in fact I debated the 2/5 since Jones and Workman are so similar. There needs to be someone hitting behind Gillaspie to keep teams honest, and I think Dirks is the best bet.

--'85.
    Basketball Season Tix since '77-78 . . . . . . Baseball Season Tix since '88

Dirks also received POtW honors this week.

WICHITA, Kan. ? Wichita State baseball student-athlete Andy Dirks has been named the Missouri Valley Conference Player-of-the-Week for the week of March 31-April 6.

Comment

While I wouldn't mind a little shake-up to the line-up, taking Dirks out of the leadoff role would not be a good move. Dirks is exactly what you want from the leadoff spot. Look at his OBP. Enough said.

Comment

I really like the lineup we have right now. I think I would move dusty back to the 4 hole and weber to the five. The reason many may wonder is that our first 3 are so good at getting on base and advancing with or without hits driving them around that dusty can consistently get the ball to the outfield for pop sacs.

Comment

I think you would be insane to take Dirks out of the leadoff spot. To take that .515 obp out of the one hole could totally change the flow the team is in right now. Gillespie doesn't need more protection, he needs teammates on base in front of him. I also disagree with moving Williams to the leadoff because I think one of the reasons he is hitting so well is he is comfortable in the 9 hole. He will continue to get good pitches to hit with Dirks standing on deck.

Coleman may not hit at the incredible pace he hit to start the season, but he is going to produce runs when they are on base in front of him still.

I know this team could be successful any way you put them out there, but why mess with something that is working right now? The only changes I see Gene making permanently is Weber in the cleanup with Coleman hitting 5 hole.

Comment

I say leave it. Last year the team batted .299, in '06 they batted .305 and in '05 they batted .289. I can remember many a discussion on Shockernet about how ineffective this offense was. Not being able to lay down sac bunts, can't complete a hit and run, no timely hitting etc.

Face it, the offense was anemic the past three years. Now, the team is batting .328 thus far and have actually bailed out the pitching many times this year, which was unheard of the past three years. Leave it, let the regulars get more at bats for the post season run and let them get comfortable in their spot in the line-up. Looks like it is working.

Comment

Don't mess with the guys who are obviously comfortable right where they are: 9-1-2-3.

Comment

Yea, don't touch the line-up when you're 24-4 and ranked as #5 in some polls. Dirks is exactly what you want in a lead-off. Jones is an exciting player batting 2nd, but can also do the little things you need from that spot. Conor is a beast. I think I like Weber at 4 and Coleman at 5. Just because it seems like when Weber hits 5th he's been leading off a lot of innings and that clogs up the base paths for the inning. Plus, with Dusty hitting 5th, you can hide him a little more and he might see more fastballs. K-will is great in the 9-hole, just like a second lead-off hitter.

Comment

Originally posted by haysdb
                  Don't mess with the guys who are obviously comfortable right where they are: 9-1-2-3.
                  While I somewhat agree with that, but with the current trends everyone will be pitching around Gillaspie if SOMEONE in the Shox lineup doesn't start making them pay for it.

Originally posted by KC Shox
                  I say leave it. Last year the team batted .299, in '06 they batted .305 and in '05 they batted .289. I can remember many a discussion on Shockernet about how ineffective this offense was. Not being able to lay down sac bunts, can't complete a hit and run, no timely hitting etc.
                  .328 right now, after cruising through the easy part of the schedule and mostly at home. Conference roadies and many more mid-week games vs. Top 75 teams could have a big affect on that average. To be honest, they're not still not sac bunting with much success (10 so far this year after just over 1/2 of the games, 40 all of last season, 49 on '06), and I'll wager there's been fewer hit-and-run plays called.

Originally posted by t7017s
                  I really like the lineup we have right now. I think I would move dusty back to the 4 hole and weber to the five. The reason many may wonder is that our first 3 are so good at getting on base and advancing with or without hits driving them around that dusty can consistently get the ball to the outfield for pop sacs.
                  Playing for sac flies is Brownlee Ball, not Shocker Baseball. Not sure if you've been to many games, but any pitcher who gets ahead of Dusty can throw him breaking balls and strike him out - watch it the next time you're at the ballpark. He is not a power hitter, despite leading the team in HR - face it, 3 HR vs. the weakest teams on the schedule and 0 in the last month bear that out. LBSU thought they could get away with fastballs since he was in the 7 hole, but now the book is out.

This team can be even better if Conor gets a chance to swing away with guys on base. A better hitter behind him is critical as the tough part of the schedule looms. Nebraska, OU, OSU, Creighton, etc. will have enough confidence to pass Conor and get everyone else out.

It might sound like I'm picking on Coleman, but that is not the case. If he's batting 6th, 7th or 8th he will see more fastballs and his numbers will start back up. I really want him to get even better.

--'85.
                  Basketball Season Tix since '77-78 . . . . . . Baseball Season Tix since '88

Comment

Originally posted by WSU4Life
                    Yea, don't touch the line-up when you're 24-4 and ranked as #5 in some polls. Dirks is exactly what you want in a lead-off. Jones is an exciting player batting 2nd, but can also do the little things you need from that spot. Conor is a beast. I think I like Weber at 4 and Coleman at 5. Just because it seems like when Weber hits 5th he's been leading off a lot of innings and that clogs up the base paths for the inning. Plus, with Dusty hitting 5th, you can hide him a little more and he might see more fastballs. K-will is great in the 9-hole, just like a second lead-off hitter.
                    Agreed.
                    Deuces Valley.
                    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by Shocker85
                      any pitcher who gets ahead of Dusty can throw him breaking balls and strike him out - watch it the next time you're at the ballpark. He is not a power hitter, despite leading the team in HR - face it, 3 HR vs. the weakest teams on the schedule and 0 in the last month bear that out. LBSU thought they could get away with fastballs since he was in the 7 hole, but now the book is out.
                      One week ago Dusty was hitting .367 and leading the team in RBI. His slugging percentage was second only to Conor and more than 100 points higher than the next best. He has had a rough week, in which he is just 4 for 19, but let's not be too quick to toss Dusty under the bus. That said, moving him down in the lineup is appropriate. Maybe he gets a few more fastballs, or maybe it takes a little of the pressure off, or maybe it challenges him. All good reasons.

I was at Long Beach. Dusty's two home runs were legit. One cleared the 387 sign in left center, the other 400 to straightaway center field. Both were no-doubters, both cleared the fence by a comfortable margin, and neither was wind-aided in any way. Dusty is not a "home run hitter," but face it, we don't have any Drew Moffits on this team. What we have are line-drive hitters who will occasionally hit one out.

The best we can do at #4 and #5 is try to get the hottest hand among Coleman, Weber, Workman, McKeever and try to make teams pay for pitching around Conor.

Comment

Originally posted by vbird53
                        While I wouldn't mind a little shake-up to the line-up, taking Dirks out of the leadoff role would not be a good move. Dirks is exactly what you want from the leadoff spot. Look at his OBP. Enough said.

Comment

Originally posted by Shocker85
                          Originally posted by haysdb
                          While I somewhat agree with that, but with the current trends everyone will be pitching around Gillaspie if SOMEONE in the Shox lineup doesn't start making them pay for it.

Originally posted by KC Shox
                          .328 right now, after cruising through the easy part of the schedule and mostly at home. Conference roadies and many more mid-week games vs. Top 75 teams could have a big affect on that average. To be honest, they're not still not sac bunting with much success (10 so far this year after just over 1/2 of the games, 40 all of last season, 49 on '06), and I'll wager there's been fewer hit-and-run plays called.

Originally posted by t7017s
                          Playing for sac flies is Brownlee Ball, not Shocker Baseball. Not sure if you've been to many games, but any pitcher who gets ahead of Dusty can throw him breaking balls and strike him out - watch it the next time you're at the ballpark. He is not a power hitter, despite leading the team in HR - face it, 3 HR vs. the weakest teams on the schedule and 0 in the last month bear that out. LBSU thought they could get away with fastballs since he was in the 7 hole, but now the book is out.

This team can be even better if Conor gets a chance to swing away with guys on base. A better hitter behind him is critical as the tough part of the schedule looms. Nebraska, OU, OSU, Creighton, etc. will have enough confidence to pass Conor and get everyone else out.

It might sound like I'm picking on Coleman, but that is not the case. If he's batting 6th, 7th or 8th he will see more fastballs and his numbers will start back up. I really want him to get even better.

--'85.
                          Havent missed a home game in over 5 years for the record. i agree Dusty is not a power hitter. But like Hays has said we dont have a power hitter on this team. We have a bunch of gap hitters with good speed. I know pop sacs is brownlee ball and west coast but a run is a run. I think dusty can hit the breaking pitches but i think he is forcing to much right now and it reminds me a bit of matt brown and he seems to swing to hard at everything and im not so sure he wouldnt be better off taking just a smidge off his swing and settle for key hit. I think hes trying to hard to be the cleanup guy and hit for power. Call it brownlee ball all you want but when dirks gets on and can get to 2nd with no outs how do you not take advantage of such an opportunity... youd be crazy not to. point is if dusty can get a hit... great. But if he cant, he can at least consistently get it to teh outfield and bring someone in from 3rd and weber hasnt shown me that. Look this isnt the 98 team with a closer that leads the nation in home runs. Take runs when you are given them is smart baseball.

Comment

Working...
                          X