Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wichita State @ Indiana State (3 Game Series)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wichita State @ Indiana State (3 Game Series)

Shockers (26-26, 9-9) conclude the regular season with a 3 game road trip to scenic Terre Haute starting this evening at 5:30 PM CST. WSU needs to take at least 2 of 3 from Indiana State (25-23, 10-8) to grab the 3 seed in Springfield next weekend.

These teams are about as even as it gets on paper:
    • Avg (WSU - .270; ISU - .269)
    • ERA (WSU - 4.79; ISU - 4.80)
    • RPI (WSU 139; ISU 165)

ISU does, however, hit for considerably more power than the Shocks (53 HR vs. 33).

WSU's rotation has been in flux lately due to injuries and is anticipated to be as follows per the Game Notes:
    • Thursday, 5:30 PM CST - Zach Lewis (RHP, 4-3, 2.36) vs. Will Kincanon (RHP, 5-5, 5.19)
    • Friday, 5:30 PM CST - Codi Heuer (RHP, 1-1, 4.83) vs. Tyler Ward (RHP, 4-3, 3.77)
    • Saturday, 1 PM CST - Robby Evans (RHP, 0-0, 2.86) vs. TBD

Hopefully we can grab the series victory to preserve some momentum heading into the MVC Tournament and start on the opposite side of the bracket from the Bears.

Spent a week in Terre Haute one night ... ;)

These two teams appear on paper to be statistically very similar. Differences? They don't have Zach Lewis. Shocker pitching has given up 46 HR INS has given up 39. INS has hit 53 HR, WSU has hit 33. Shox can't win on the road.

I expect a 1-2 outcome this weekend. Shocks are currently tied with SIU who plays a bad Bradley team in Peoria. A 4th place finish seems likely.
    Basketball Season Tix since '77-78 . . . . . . Baseball Season Tix since '88

Comment

Originally posted by Play Angry View Post
      Hopefully we can grab the series victory to preserve some momentum heading into the MVC Tournament and start on the opposite side of the bracket from the Bears.
      Winning this series series does not guarantee the Shocks will avoid Missouri State's side of the bracket. It will depend on what SIU does. Sweeping the series would guarantee that since the Shocks own the tiebreaker over the Salukis.

If the Shocks win the series 2-1 but the Salukis sweep Bradley then the Shocks will be the #4 seed and on the Bears side of the Bracket.

With games starting on Thursday this week the weather could be a factor. Hopefully, they will consider staying over to Sunday to finish these series if they have to but I don't know if they have that option or not.
      Last edited by 1972Shocker; May 18, 2017, 02:14 PM.

Comment

Unless my eyes are going bad, I believe WSU won the series over the Egyptian Dogs. A sweep clinches the third spot. A series win plus a loss from SIU accomplishes the same thing.
        78-65

Comment

Yea, we took 2 of 3 from SIU. Probably thinking of Bradley where we dropped 2 of 3 in frustrating fashion.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
            Winning this series or even sweeping this series does not guarantee the Shocks will avoid Missouri State's side of the bracket.

If the Shokcers sweep the Sycamores but the Salukis also sweep Bradley then the Shocks and Salukis will be tied for 3rd with the Salukis owning the tiebreaker by virtue of their series win over the Shocks. The Shocks would own the #4 seed which is on the Bears' side of the bracket.

If the Shocks go 2-1 they and the Salukis sweep Bradley then the Shocks and Sycamores tie for 4th with the Shocks holding the tiebreaker. But still they would be the #4 seed.

If the Shocks go 2-1 and the Salukis go 2-1 then we end up with a 3-way tie for 3rd between the Shocks, Sycamores and Salukis. The Shocks would own the head-to-head advantage over the Sycamores but the Salukis own the head-to-head over the Shocks but Sycamores own the head-to-head over the Salukis all by a 2-1 margin. All 3 teams were swept by the Bears. However, the Sycamores were swept by DBU also while the Shocks and Salukis each one a game agaisnt DBU. Not exactly sure what the tiebraker is here but seems like this scenario would favor the Salukis. If that is the case the Shocks end up as the #4 seed again.

The Shocks need to either sweep the Sycamores and get 1 Bradley win over the Salukis or they need to win the series over the Sycamores 2-1 and have Bradley win the series over the Salukis. Either way it looks to me like the Shocks need some help form the Braves to grab the #3 seed.

Of course, the other possibility to avoid the Bears' side of the bracket is for the Shocks to get swept and have Evansville win 2 of the 3 from DBU in which case the Shocks would fall to 6th place. I don't see Evansville doing that although I suppose stranger things have happened.

With games starting on Thursday this week the weather could be a factor. Hopefully, they will consider staying over to Sunday to finish these series if they have to but I don't know if they have that option or not.
            Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post
            Unless my eyes are going bad, I believe WSU won the series over the Egyptian Dogs. A sweep clinches the third spot. A series win plus a loss from SIU accomplishes the same thing.
            Four years and $1,200,000+ coach salary later and we're still hoping for a good seeding in the Valley tournament so we can possibly backdoor another NCAA. :livid::dejection::banghead::disgust::hopelessness :

Comment

Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post
              Your correct. My bad. Corrected my original post. Makes it much simpler.

Comment

I suppose the Shocks have an outside chance of winning the Valley tournament if they can avoid the Bears. If Zach Lewis can pitch effectively on Wednesday and in the Championship game on Saturday (should the Shocks be fortunate enough to get there) who know what might happen. What happens with the pitching in between those 2 games will most likely determine the Shocks fate.

OTOH, if the Shocks lose their 1st game they are petty much toast.

Comment

Salukis beat Bradley 8-3 in game 1 of that series this afternoon.

Comment

Originally posted by Play Angry View Post
                    Salukis beat Bradley 8-3 in game 1 of that series this afternoon.
                    Shocks need to hold serve.

Comment

Jenista led off the game with a bomb, but the Sycamores respond with a 2 run homer in the bottom of the 1st.

2-1 ISUb to the top of the 2nd.

Comment

Not a good evening for Zach.

5-1 ISUb, still bottom of the 2nd.

Comment

Shocks digging themselves an early hole. Down 5 - 1 after 2 innings. Zach Lewis isn't especially sharp so far. 3 walks and has made 45 pitches in two innings.

Comment

So the Shox Ace in the hole getting shelled. This negates the only real obvious advantage they might have over INS.

Comment

Bases loaded no outs. Shox get 1 run. The bottom of the order is just so, so weak.

First INS hitter gets the run right back. HR

Comment

Working...
                              X