No announcement yet.

First Base

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like Tyler Hill, but damn, he's not hitting for average, he's not hitting home runs (0), he's not getting on base (7 BB vs. 21 Ks), he's not stealing bases (1), he's not even sacrificing runners (2). He's a fine defensive first-baseman, but is that enough to keep him in the lineup?

Unfortunately Clint's numbers are even worse.

I believe in both of these guys. All I can do is hope they get it going by the end of the season.

Comment

Hill was safe at the plate last night.

Comment

what we have now are more than enough guys that can get the job done offensively, so it's not so important to have a 1st baseman that can hit. If Tyler is getting the job done at first base defensively, as he has been so far, then he needs to stay there. His teammates can pick him up offensively

Comment

Re: Hill

Originally posted by RoyalShock
          Originally posted by xazshox
          Someone told me that last year Hill led the team in RBI's when there were 2 outs when there were runs to be driven in. In other words, he's a clutch hitter when it counts the most
          Doesn't Bill James say there is not such thing as a clutch hitter? :D
          There is! They even have a stat category for it. Its LIPS (Late Inning Pressure Situations). No joke.
          "You can observe a lot just by watching."
          -- Yogi Berra

Comment

Originally posted by BA2929
            Someone told me that last year Hill led the team in RBI's when there were 2 outs when there were runs to be driven in. In other words, he's a clutch hitter when it counts the most
            There is! They even have a stat category for it. Its LIPS (Late Inning Pressure Situations). No joke.

Sabermetrics guys would argue with you. Much of their statistical research shows little to no statistically significant variation over multiple years...at most being "more clutch" on average once every few hundred at bats.

I have however read other recent studies that conflict to a degree with conventional "saber" thinking. These have shown that often times singles hitters tend to be more likely to show more clutch tendencies (when compared to the norm or expected) than power hitters.

I also think it's more likely that younger hitters with less refined ability could show more clutch and more choke tendencies than big leaguers.

Comment

Originally posted by 7hottamales
              Originally posted by BA2929

Sabermetrics guys would argue with you. Much of their statistical research shows little to no statistically significant variation over multiple years...at most being "more clutch" on average once every few hundred at bats.

I have however read other recent studies that conflict to a degree with conventional "saber" thinking. These have shown that often times singles hitters tend to be more likely to show more clutch tendencies (when compared to the norm or expected) than power hitters.

I also think it's more likely that younger hitters with less refined ability could show more clutch and more choke tendencies than big leaguers.
              My post was more of a joke on how baseball has a stat for everything, even something like LIPS (Late Inning Pressure Situations). I do believe that some players are more clutch than others, however. It may not show up in a stat book or study, but some players just don't succumb to the pressure like others. Those are the players I consider "clutch". Stats or no stats.
              "You can observe a lot just by watching."
              -- Yogi Berra

Comment

We talked about "clutch"in a class of mine today. Apparently there was a basketball player who made some crazy amount of game-winning shots. Apparently, he made so many, that someone decided to monitor him late in a game. Where other player's heart rates would go up, his actually went down...

Dunno if there's anything to it, but maybe clutch IS real,and possibly something we can screen for...
                Deep in the heart of couldn't give a crap about college basketball-land and I miss the SHOX.
                Students > Alumni
                If you EVER want to open your damn mouths about Selection Sunday, READ THIS FIRST: http://www.midmajority.com/p/1296
                The ONLY document that means ANYTHING: http://www.bbstate.com/schools/WICH/sheet

Comment

Working...
                X