Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shocks vs Southern Illinois (3 Game Series)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shocks vs Southern Illinois (3 Game Series)

Shockers kick off their final tour through the MVC against the Salukis this evening. Probable starters are Zach Lewis (1-2, 3.27 ERA) vs. Chad Wittmer (RHP, 2-2, 4.03 ERA).

This is a phenomenal day in the history of Wichita State. Let's get a W tonight.

Go Shocks!

Shocks vs Southern Illinois (3 Game Series)

The Shocks (14-14, 0-0) will open Valley play at home agaisnt the SIU Salukis (15-15, 3-0). SIU swept Evansville 3-2, 5-2 and 8-3 this past weekend in Carbondale.

Games are Friday at 6:00 pm, Saturday at 2:00 pm and Sunday at 1:00 pm.

Boyd's World isn't overly impressed with SIU as they are 201st in his ISR ratings compared to 106 for the Shockers.

SIU has a team batting average of .264, a OPS of .742 with 19 home runs in 30 games and they are scoring 5.63 runs per game.

SIU has a team ERA of 4.22 and are allowing 5.40 runs per game.

The Shocks team batting average is now .239, they have an OPS of .3655 with 9 home runs in 28 games while socring 4.39 runs per game.

The Shocks have a team ERA of 4.03 and are allowing 4.75 runs per game.

Statistically looks like a toss up with Boyd's World ranking the Shocks much higher than SIU.

The announcement to joine the AAC might work againts the Shocks a bit because these Valley teams may sense that this is their last shot at revenge for all the beatings over the years at a time when the Shocks are vulnerable.

I'm assuming SIU's starters will be Michael Baird (1.61 ERA), Joey Marciano (3.28 ERA) and Chad Witmer (4.03 ERA).

I assume the Shocks will stay with a weekend rotation of Zach Lewis (3.27 ERA), Tommy Barnhouse (3.42 ERA) and Cody Tyler (4.23 ERA)
    Last edited by 1972Shocker; April 7, 2017, 02:49 PM.

Comment

Would be nice to get one last MVC baseball title for the program.

Comment

One correction. We are at home this weekend to open Valley play!

Comment

Originally posted by shockfan89_ View Post
          One correction. We are at home this weekend to open Valley play!
          My bad. Not sure how I screwed that up. Not sure what schedule I was looking at. Maybe the softball schedule. Anyways corrections made.

Comment

In the preseason Coaches' poll SIU was picked to finish 2nd in the league behind DBU. The Shocks tied for 4th place with Indiana State.

SIU is 15-15 against a less than stellar schedule. 20 of their games have been against sub-500 teams and 10 against teams with a combined record of 79-60. The best team they played was 20-9 Memphis out of the AAC. SIU lost 2 of 3 to Memphis but all 3 games were decided by 1 run.

This series could go either way. The Shocks need to take 2 of 3 if they are going to be a player in the Valley race this year.

Comment

Originally posted by shocks02 View Post
              Would be nice to get one last MVC baseball title for the program.
              I'm not sure it's worth it.

Comment

Perhaps one of the mods could merge the two SIU threads. Looks like @Play Angry: and I started threads at about the same time.

Thanks.

Comment

Perhaps the weather tonight will be more conducive to scoring runs for the Shockers. Warmer weather and a good breeze blowing out to left field.

Comment

Mike will have ADDB on the Baseball pregame show to talk about the move to the AAC.

Update: Apparently this isn't going to happen.
                    Last edited by 1972Shocker; April 7, 2017, 05:52 PM.

Comment

Zach Lewis (3.327 ERA) starting as expected for the Shocks. Chad Witmer (4.03 ERA) will start for SIU tonight with Michael Baird (1.61) starting on Saturday and Joey Marciano (3.28 ERA) on Sunday.

These 3 starters and closer Ryan Netemeyer (1.62 ERA and 9 saves in 16.2 innings over 15 appearances) form the core of the SIU pitching staff.

Saluki Stats

Comment

Lewis sharp thru the first 2 innings.

Comment

Originally posted by Play Angry View Post
                          Lewis sharp thru the first 2 innings.
                          Zach has been very good lately. Now the Shocks need to figure out how to get him some run support. Need to get a couple of balls up in the jets stream blowing out to left field.

Comment

Why no Katzfey again tonight? Is he hurt?

Comment

I guess they really like Dugas and Young in the lineup.

Comment

Working...
                              X