Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Easy Answer to Fixing Shox Decline

Hiring Standiford is a no-brainer:

FINANCIAL: Give him a raise from his Tabor job but don't pay him full price until Butler's contract runs out (or amortizes out if Butler gets a lump sum). Then, if the program is headed in the right direction, pay him what he is worth.

COACHING STAFF: Do NOT tie his hands on assistant coaches; give him free reign to pick who he wants. He knows plenty of people and he knows how to win.

TIMING: ASAP! The quicker he gets to recruit and change the culture, the sooner the program gets back on the right track.

RECRUITING: As far as recruiting D1 players, if he can get players into pro ball with limited resources at Tabor, he will do just fine at WSU.

I know there is already a thread about our current coach; I started a new thread because I think it is time to move forward and I thought the title of the old thread was negative. It's time to bring some hope (and fans) back to Shocker Baseball!
    Last edited by Ed Harley; March 24, 2017, 11:05 AM.

I would rather have Hooper. He seemed to embraced the community of wichita when he was with the wing nuts and the kids loved him.

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
      I would rather have Hooper. He seemed to embraced the community of wichita when he was with the wing nuts and the kids loved him.
      Hooper is a roving instructor which is one of the best coaching jobs in pro ball. Who knows if he would be willing to give that up.
      Its a good landing if you can walk away, its a great landing if the plane can be reused the next day.

Comment

Hooper is ALSO a no-brainer, he would fix the program too. Winner and overachiever personified. Probably a bit more expensive than Standiford (who has other sources of income) but if he would leave the Padres organization, he would be an excellent choice. I suggested Standiford first because I KNOW he would want the job, already lives here, would be a cheaper way to help offset eating HCTB's salary, and has college recruiting experience. At this point (and also back when Gene was fired IMO), either one would be a great solution the problem.
        Last edited by Ed Harley; March 24, 2017, 11:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by WheatShock View Post
          Hooper is a roving instructor which is one of the best coaching jobs in pro ball. Who knows if he would be willing to give that up.
          I can think of one way to find out.

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
            Heh, I would be happy with either or both but if we are using community ties and involvement as a measuring stick than Hoop is a distant 2nd to Stub.

Let's just grab them both.

Comment

I don't think we have to back up the Brink's truck to attract either Hooper or Standiford.

Give them a fair but not exorbitant base salary that will grow over time. Not sure where you would start at without having more information on what Kevin and Mark are making now.

Load the contract up with some attractive performance bonuses so that success is amply rewarded.

Guarantee the first 4 years. After that a buyout equal to one year's base salary based on the most recent base salary.

Make sure they have adequate resources to attract quality assistants and to recruit well.
              Last edited by 1972Shocker; March 24, 2017, 01:43 PM.

Comment

Dream scenario, Gene throws out the first pitch at Standiford's first game in front of a sellout crowd. Catcher throws the ball back to Gene who walks over and gives it to HCMS, crowd goes wild. The hatchet is buried, and we can all move on and forget the Butler years happened. We may never get back to the Glory years but at least we will have a coach who will give a damn and have pride in the program and carry that "Shocker" chip on his shoulder. Like it or not, our baseball and basketball programs aren't the "good guys" so to speak. Nobody besides us gets warm and fuzzy about the Shox, much like Marahall, we need a head coach who isn't afraid of proudly wearing the black hat and stirring the pot to get results. Butler is a "good guy"'his persona just never fit here.

Comment

Working...
                X