Wichita State @ LaTech (Game 1)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wichita State @ LaTech (Game 1)

Perhaps it is a waste of time to start a game thread for this game considering it starts at the same time as the Shocker's Arch Madness game this evening.

Shocker Game Notes

The game notes report that LaTech has a team ERA of 1.92 and a team BA of .274. However, those numbers do not include the high scoring loss to Arkansas in the 2nd game of their mid-week series which has not been included in the stats on the LaTech site. Including that game LaTech's team ERA is 3.00 and its team BA is .277.

LaTech has an OBA (including HBP) of 0.370 and an OPS of .446 for a modified OPS of .816 (including the loss to Arkansas)

The Shocks have an OBA (including HBP) of 0.376 and a SLP of .437 for a modified OPS of .813

The reason I have included the HBP numbers in my OBA is because of the eye-popping LaTech stat for HBP. They have been hit by pitches 22 times to go along with 41 walks. The Shocks have 27 walks and 4 HBP. Not sure if these LaTech guys are crowding the plate or what the story is but it will be interesting to see how the Shocks will pitch these guys if that is the case.

I have not seen the anticipated pitching matchups but I assume Willie Schwanke (2-0, 2.13 ERA) will go for the Shocks and it looks like Jr. RH Kent Hasler (1-0, 0.69 ERA) will probably take the mound for LaTech.

I noticed that WSU is hitting .343 with RISP. The team has certainly not been beating the cover off the ball, but from what I have seen/listened to so far, there do seem to be a few more productive outs and timely hits. I'd rather take advantage of charity that not, so that's nice. Hopefully that trend can continue. A few guys are going to need to step up and become everyday hitters.

Comment

It is kind of interesting how a cherry-picked statistic can be used to imply something more positive than reality.

For example, the game notes mention that Dayton Dugas is currently on a 6-game hitting streak and Greyson Jenista is on a 5-game hitting streak.

Dayton is batting .241 with a .267 OBA and a .310 slugging % for a OPS of .577 and he has a 10 to 1 strikeout to walk ratio.

Greyson is batting .379 with a .419 OBA and a .552 slugging % for a OPS of .971 and he has a 3.5 to 1 strikeout to walk ratio.

Comment

Huuuuge game tonight. Any Stream available? Or, someone willing to buy the CUSA-TV odd and setting up a stream for shocker fans? (I could help with setting it up)
        Brummett throws, STRUCK HIM OUT! THE SHOCKERS ARE NATIONAL CHAMPIONS! AN UNBELIEVABLE STORY!

Comment

LaTech up 1-0 after 2 innings. They are knocking Willie around a bit. He has given up 3 doubles and a single in 2 innings. Lucky to only be trailing by 1.

Shocks are hitless so far against LaTech's ace Kent Hassler.

Comment

Willie gave his 4th double in the 3rd with 1 out which almost left the park but was able to work out of it again.

Comment

When my number one lineup concern is protecting Bohm, I often put the lowest BA on the team behind him....

Comment

A 1-out single by Alec and a walk to Luke puts runners on 1st and 2nd with Gunner at the plate. Need a productive AB here but at the very least Gunner needs to avoid hitting into the DP.

Troutwine walks.

Now the Shocks need a big hit from Trey Vickers. At the very least a productive AB that will get this game tied up.

No speed on the bases though, that's for sure.

Vickers is up in the count 3-0. Needs to take one and then be very picky if it goes to 3-1.

Trey walks. Shocks tie it up. Trey with no hits in 2 ABs but buth ABs were productive.

Travis Young struck out for out #2 and Jordan Boyer grounded to the SS for a force out to end the inning. At least Jordan hit the ball soldily.

Shocks have too few hitters willing to shorten up their swings, make solid contact and hit the ball where it's pitched.

Willie has been giving up quite a few balls hit into the air which indicates he may not be totally sharp although it sounds like the pithers are not getting anything extra on edges of the strike zone.

Alex Bohm backhands a line drive down the 3B line to save Willie from giving up a 5th double which may have scored the go ahead run to end the 4th inning.
                Last edited by 1972Shocker; March 3, 2017, 07:29 PM.

Comment

Willie has been living on the edge this entire game and a throwing error on Josh Debacker on a potential double plays ball allowed the go ahead run to score. Then a 2-out Texas Leaguer fell into to put LaTech up 3-1. Willie than issues back-to-back walks to force in another run. Willie is done. Trailing 4-1 with 2-outs in the 5th and the bases loaded.

Chandler Sanburn on in relief and get's the final out.

Willie simply was not particularly sharp today.

Comment

Good to see Butler's not going to let this new-found bullpen success stop him from consistently leaving starters in a couple batters too long.

Comment

1 run, 2 hits, 2 errors so far?

Yep, that's the WSU team I know so well.

2-5 will be a win.
                      Deuces Valley.
                      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                        1 run, 2 hits, 2 errors so far?

Yep, that's the WSU team I know so well.

2-5 will be a win.
                        It will be 2 wins!

Comment

Dayton Dugas' average is down to .219, Luke Ritter is down to .136 and Gunner Troutwine is down to .200. Dugas is batting in front of Alec Bohm and Ritter and Troutwine right behind him.

I really question whether or not Todd Butler has a very high degree of baseball savvy.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                            Dayton Dugas' average is down to .219, Luke Ritter is down to .136 and Gunner Troutwine is down to .200. Dugas is batting in front of Alec Bohm and Ritter and Troutwine right behind him.

I really question whether or not Todd Butler has a very high degree of baseball savvy.
                            I know it's still a small sample size, but it's also not like those are hard-luck averages either based on what I've seen.

Comment

LaTech now leading 6-1. Put this one in the LaTech deep freeze. Hopefully, the Shocks can rebound tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
                              X