No announcement yet.

Grand Canyon @ WSU (game 2)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two shocker shut-outs in row. To put that in historical perspective looking back through the 2001 season - it is rare.

2013 at MVC tournament,
    2010 vs SWMO
    2009 vs ILSR
    2007 vs ILSR
    2005 vs BU, SIU/CU
    2003 vs Hilo (3 shut-outs in row)

Comment

GCU gets 7 hits and 5 BB but strikes out 15 times. They stranded 12 runners. A crap ton in the 7th 8th 9th. Ouch.
      Basketball Season Tix since '77-78 . . . . . . Baseball Season Tix since '88

Comment

Originally posted by Shocker85 View Post
        A little drama with 2 on, but game ends 4-0.

Pitching so far has been the clear bright spot. Maybe more quality innings by the bullpen already in 5 games than the entire 2016 season.

5-0 on the season.
        Good stuff, especially pitching. Hope they can keep it rolling. Need to find a little more offense. I still think the lineup is a disaster, but I suppose you ride it until it costs you games.

Comment

Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
          Good stuff, especially pitching. Hope they can keep it rolling. Need to find a little more offense. I still think the lineup is a disaster, but I suppose you ride it until it costs you games.
          Yes indeed. The line-up seems almost up-side-down.

Comment

So far I feel we've won games in every fashion imaginable except having it handed to us by opponent errors. We've blown someone out, come from behind, won a pitchers duel, added late-inning insurance, hit with two outs, lights out bullpen, good starting pitching. We will need that confidence starting next week.

Comment

1.80 team ERA through the first 5 games is a very pleasant result. Kudos to Coach Steele and the Shocker pitchers.

I suppose it is a little diffiucult to know how good of hitting teams UVU and GCU are but if this pitching holds up through the La Tech, OU and LSU road trip starting next week we may have something.

I still don't care for the batting order HCTB is using. But he seems committed to it for now. I am just not seeing the benefit of it at this point but it is early.
              Last edited by 1972Shocker; February 26, 2017, 12:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                1.80 team ERA through the first 5 games is a very pleasant result. Kudos to Coach Steele and the Shocker pitchers.

I suppose it is a little diffiucult to know how good of hitting teams UVU and GCU are but if this pitching holds up throught the La Tech, OU and LSU road trip starting next week we may have something.

I still don't care for the batting order HCTB is using. But he seems committed to it for now. I am just not seeing the benefit of it at this point but it is early.
                Agree on all points. Though I will add that regardless of your opponents in college ball, that ERA through 5 games is a good sign. It may turn out to be a product of bad opponents, but this pitching staff couldn't throw strikes and avoid giving up runs consistently against any ​level of competition last year.

Comment

Telling stats of the season after just 5 games. Small sample size vs. unknown level of opponent, but ...
                  2016 WHIP 1.6065 (full season)
                  2017 WHIP 1.0666

2016 BB/9ip 4.3
                  2017 BB/9ip 2.8

Comment

Can we get Vickers and Young moved up to the top of the order and Jenista in the three hole where he belongs? Dugas hasn't figured it out yet ... let him hit 6th or 7th.

Btw, I sure thought Alex Jackson handled the bat well today.

Comment

2-6 with 2 RBI's and only 1 strikeout for your first day of collegiate baseball is not to shabby. Congrats to the kid!

Comment

Originally posted by Shocker85 View Post
                        Can we get Vickers and Young moved up to the top of the order and Jenista in the three hole where he belongs? Dugas hasn't figured it out yet ... let him hit 6th or 7th.
                        For the love...

Does anyone else NOT see this?

Comment

Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
                          For the love...

Does anyone else NOT see this?
                          You mean anyone else who counts?
                          Last edited by 1972Shocker; February 27, 2017, 02:09 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X