2017 Predictions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
    Not really sure. But from what I can see of the crowds on the ESPN3 internet streams not very good. Perhaps someone esle has a better feel for that.
    I would be surprised if we have been over 1,000 actual attendance more than three or four times this year. OSU, one game with Valparaiso (maybe), the Saturday SIU game, and KU last week. I remember counting the entire crowd right before the National Anthem at the OSU game and there were just under 150. The crowd did improve through the first few innings.

The crowds are so small the first base concession stand has only been open for a handful of games. Their sales have to be down so much I have been worried that at some point they won't even be able to staff the main concession stand.

Does anyone have any actual data?

Comment

• Unfortunately - all we have is tickets sold. The other unknown is how many are sitting in the All-American club.

Attached Files

Comment

• I am still very confused on attendance numbers. The number reported as attendance is tickets sold (or given away) correct? I'm sorry, but unless I am WAY off there is no way we are averaging 2,400 butts in the seats. If that is tickets sold/given away then it makes sense.

This graph shows that attendance has increased from last year. If we have a better record, finish better in the conference, attendance is up over last year, still owe guaranteed money on HCTB's contract, and have added expenses from moving to the AAC, what motivation does the AD have to make a move at this time?

Comment

• It

Originally posted by shockfan89_ View Post
          I am still very confused on attendance numbers. The number reported as attendance is tickets sold (or given away) correct? I'm sorry, but unless I am WAY off there is no way we are averaging 2,400 butts in the seats.
          I am not sure why you are confused - I thought I clearly said this data represents tickets sold. WSU reports their attendance as sold, not what the actual attendance was.

The difference between what is sold and what u see in the park I would suggest is

1. There is some (don't know what number) are sitting in the American club and sky boxes (because of weather).

2. You are probably seeing season ticket holders who have maintained their tickets and don't want to give up their seats, but don't come to the games.

Comment

• My apologies, I completely missed what you typed and jumped right to the graph! My confusion isn't a result of your graph, my confusion is based on my perception that only about 1/3 of the people with tickets to the game are actually in attendance.

I know the difference is not the All-American club and I would imagine the most that could be in the sky boxes is 100 and probably much less. Your #2 above is likely what we are seeing, but that would mean there are still about 1,000 people at each game even if no season ticket holders show up. I know it is a big stadium but to me it hasn't been even close to 1/4th full any time this year. I wonder how many of those "tickets sold" are promotional tickets that are given away or greatly discounted and never actually make it to the gate?

It really makes no sense to be a season ticket holder anymore. I have been one of those people that didn't want to give up their seats but that decision is getting harder and harder every year.
            Last edited by shockfan89_; April 25, 2017, 10:47 AM.

Comment

• I gave up my seats. Right behind first base, row 1. I had them for years.

As my mentor used to say with humor in mind, "It is getting worser and worser."
              "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

• Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
                1. There is some (don't know what number) are sitting in the American club and sky boxes (because of weather).
                Since they are reporting paid attendance and not actual attendance I have always wondered how they count the All-American Club and the Private Sky Boxes. My guess is that they count every All-American Club member plus the maximum capacity of each Sky Box that has been sold as part of the paid attendance regardless of how many actually show up for games. How much that differs from actual attendance for those accomadations is hard to say.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ricardo del Rio View Post
                  I gave up my seats. Right behind first base, row 1. I had them for years.

As my mentor used to say with humor in mind, "It is getting worser and worser."
                  I don't think you will have much difficulty getting very good seats to replace those in the future should you choose to do so.

Comment

• A 3-1 week against a couple of bad teams and our RPI dropped from 138 down to 146, but our NPI increased from 187 to 186. The MVC fell another place down to the 15th spot and the NPI held solid at 18th. Fortunately we got in all 3 games this weekend and were able to jump from 7th place to tied for 4th place in the MVC.

WSU is now 2-14 against the top 100 RPI, 10-7 against RPI 101 - 200, and 9-1 against RPI 201+.

This week we have four road games all against top 100 RPI teams which is where we have struggled all year (@ KSU RPI 98, and @ DBU RPI 48). I am hoping for a 2-2 record this week. KSU is hard to figure. They are 11-14 vs. the top 100 RPI and 13-4 vs. RPI 101+. KSU split with Omaha, but won 1 of 3 @ Oklahoma State and 1 of 3 versus Texas Tech.

Last week we needed to finish 10-6 to be over .500 for the year. With 12 games remaining we now need to go 7-5, which SHOULD be fairly easy given our remaining schedule. This week will likely be the determining week on whether we hit the .500 mark for the season.
                    Last edited by shockfan89_; May 1, 2017, 04:41 PM.

Comment

• K-State is in last place in the Big 12 at 4-11 but they have won 7 of their last 9 games although only 3 of those were Big 12 games.

The took both ends of a mid-week DH against #36 RPI New Mexico, won 2 of 3 from #10 RPI West Virginia, lost a 1-run game to #17 RPI Arkansas in Kansas City, and swept a 3-game series #257 Abilene Christian at home which is more or less equivalent to the Shocks sweep of Illinois State.

I would take a 2-2 week and if I had my druthers I would prefer the 2 wins to come in Dallas.

I guess we will find out if any progress was made agaisnt Illinois State or if that just more of the beating up on the weaklings we have seen from the Shocks this year.

DBU swept Illinois State at home by a combined 28-12. The Shocks swept them at home by a combined 33-13. DBU has not looked as strong this year as they were the last couple of years.
                      Last edited by 1972Shocker; May 2, 2017, 09:27 AM.

Comment

• Another 1-3 week but our RPI held steady at 146 and our NPI fell from 186 to 192. The MVC fell another place down to the 16th spot. We stayed in 4th place, 7 1/2 games out of 1st with 6 games to play.

WSU is now 3-18 against the top 100 RPI, 7-6 against RPI 101 - 200, and 12-1 against RPI 201+. We are 10-24 against the top 200.

This week we have four games at home, a rematch with ORU (RPI 94), and a weekend series with Evansville (RPI 255). I am hoping for a 3-1 record this week. ORU is very beatable and just lost 2 of 3 @ North Dakota State (RPI 257). We should also sweep Evansville at home this weekend but this team just hasn't displayed the consistency for me to predict a 4-0 week. Evansville is also only 1/2 game behind us in the MVC standings and have had very similar results in league play.

Last week we needed to finish 7-5 to be over .500 for the year. With 8 games remaining we now need to go 6-2, which is possible given our remaining schedule and 5 of the 8 games being at home.

Comment

• We should win the Evansville series. Maybe even sweep it but my level of confidence that this will happen is not very high at this point. If the Shocker pitching staff continues to dole out free bases like candy at Halloween things could easily go haywire. A bad weekend agaisnt Evansville and we might be staring at a 6th place finish. Of course, that's the pessimistic view although with the way things are going perhaps the more realistic view also.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                            We should win the Evansville series. Maybe even sweep it but my level of confidence that this will happen is not very high at this point. If the Shocker pitching staff continues to dole out free bases like candy at Halloween things could easily go haywire. A bad weekend agaisnt Evansville and we might be staring at a 6th place finish. Of course, that's the pessimistic view although with the way things are going perhaps the more realistic view also.
                            Looking at it all wrong my friend. That's the realistic view, although the way things are going perhaps the more optimistic view also.

Comment

• Originally posted by shockfan89_ View Post
                              Last week we needed to finish 7-5 to be over .500 for the year. With 8 games remaining we now need to go 6-2, which is possible given our remaining schedule and 5 of the 8 games being at home.
                              Looks like the 29.5 we both set as the over/under on regular season wins about 3 weeks or so back is looking a bit too optimistic. The Shocks would have to finish 8-0 to make the over. The chances of that happening seem extremely slim. At this point we probably have a better chance of a 30-loss regular season. Hard to expect much more than a 4-4 finish they way things are going which would put the Shocks at 26-29. Perhaps the pitching will turn around a bit over the next 12 days but at this point there is no evidence that will happen.

Comment

• I am probably a bit too optimistic but I'm thinking we finish 5-3 or maybe 6-2. I think we will split our mid-week games with ORU and KSU and then take 2 of 3 from both Evansville and Indiana State. It is probably more likely that we sweep Evansville and only get 1 of 3 on the road at ISU Blue.

I think we will win at least one game in the MVC unless we do something stupid like hold Lewis for the second game. Finishing 4th or 5th in the conference puts us in the bracket with MSU and Illinois State. That might actually be the best scenario because I am sure we can beat Illinois State and get at least one win in the MVC. :)

Comment

Working...
                                X