• Show
Clear All

• Shox vs. NDSU Bison - 4 game series

Pitching
    RH Ben Mathiason 2-2, 6.97 ERA, 20.2 IP, 8 K, 9 BB, 4 starts
    LH Jake Laber 0-2, 8.14ERA, 21.0 IP, 16 K, 12 BB, 4 starts
    LH Shannon Ekermans 1-1, 6.06ERA, 16.1 IP, 9 K, 6 BB, 4 starts
    TBA

Chad Berg has 2 starts, 7 BB, 1 K in 5.1 IP. No wonder there's TBA game 4 starter.

Best reliever:
    Shane Bushland, 3-0, 1.08 ERA, 16.2 IP, 11 K, 5 BB, .211 Opp BA in 6 appearances.

Staff ERA is 6.88 in 13 games. 56 K, 49 BB, .329 Opp BA. <== These are very bad numbers all around.

Batting
    BA Leader Kole Zimmerman .356 BA, 1 HR, 5 RBI
    RBI Leader Ryan Langlais .286 BA, 0 HR, 12 RBI
    SB Leader -- this is almost incredible -- NDSU has 3 stolen bases TOTAL - 3 guys with 1 each.
    HR Leader 4 guys with 1 each (you guessed it, entire team had 4)
    Team BA is .257 with 84 K and 49 BB

Defense
    Team fielding % is .935
    Opp SB 19-24
    Ryan Langlais (SS) has 6 errors, fielding % .898

The Shox strategy is obvious for the weekend.

The pitchers need to throw strikes and make the Bison put the ball in play. They appear to have little power and absolutely no team speed, so probably play station-to-station when they get runners on base.

The hitters need to make the Bison pitchers throw strikes, and if they prove they are willing to do that, put the ball in play and put pressure on the defense with hit-and-run and stolen bases.

Despite the better RPI ranking for NDSU vs. Binghamton, it looks on paper like NDSU is not very good (that's a compliment). How they beat Minnesota is a mystery.

NDSU plays their first home game on 4/11/08.

Let's get 4. This should be a track meet for the Shox.

--'85.
    Basketball Season Tix since '77-78 . . . . . . Baseball Season Tix since '88

Why are you guys not playing a conf. series this weekend?

Comment

Drake doesn't play baseball; there are only 9 baseball teams in the Valley.
      Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
      Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

It's unfortunate that we couldn't schedule a stronger opponent during our bye week.

Comment

Re: Shox vs. NDSU Bison - 4 game series

Originally posted by Shocker85
          How they beat Minnesota is a mystery.
          Um, because the games aren't played on paper? :sarcasm:

Comment

Originally posted by haysdb
            It's unfortunate that we couldn't schedule a stronger opponent during our bye week.
            That my become more difficult with the uniform starting date as there won't being that many weekends outside of conference play that teams will have available as may have been the case in the past.

Comment

No doubt, no doubt.

Comment

Originally posted by CharlieHog
                Why are you guys not playing a conf. series this weekend?
                I believe every week, one MVC team has a designated weekend off from MVC play due to only 9 schools fielding baseball teams. This is our weekend off.

Comment

I was a little worried when we put up 8 quick runs in the first 2 innings of a 4-game series. I hope these guys don't think they can just show up and win the next 3. We all know how dangerous these 7 inning games can be.

Comment

Working...
                  X