Catcher's Gear Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Catcher's Gear Questions

Hi, quick question about the rules regarding my son’s catcher's equipment. I was wondering about the difference between the full, hockey-style mask and the old-school style that goes over the skull cap. I recently purchased the facemask style that goes over the skull cap for my son who has recently picked up catching a big way. I got him this mask but a few of the parents at our workouts have made comments about some regulations or rules I was unaware of. In my nervousness, I just ordered this mask as well that looks a lot safer but I know it doesn't have that cool pro look my son wants. Should I bring both with me just in case? Or does anyone know how this aspect of the game is governed? Anything helps!

You need to check with your son's coach. He should be able to answer your question. If he is in a league or other sponsoring organization for traveling teams they may very well have their own set of rules governing that which may or may not be the same as the Official Rules of MLB.

Comment

All high school play and most youth leagues require the goalie-style helmet now that includes the ear protection. Skull caps/two-piece construction is frowned upon by most youth leagues, so the safe bet is to go with the hockey-style that is legal everywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by baseballpadre View Post
        Hi, quick question about the rules regarding my son’s catcher's equipment. I was wondering about the difference between the full, hockey-style mask and the old-school style that goes over the skull cap. I recently purchased the facemask style that goes over the skull cap for my son who has recently picked up catching a big way. I got him this mask but a few of the parents at our workouts have made comments about some regulations or rules I was unaware of. In my nervousness, I just ordered this mask as well that looks a lot safer but I know it doesn't have that cool pro look my son wants. Should I bring both with me just in case? Or does anyone know how this aspect of the game is governed? Anything helps!
        Definitely go with the hockey style mask. Your son will get much, much more protection from it, not to mention it'll be much cooler on those 90, 100 degree days.

Comment

Isn't your field of view better with the hockey style ones as well?
          Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

Get them whatever Ross uses. Hey Chicago, Go Cubs, Go!
            There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

Originally posted by MoValley John View Post
              Get them whatever Ross uses. Hey Chicago, Go Cubs, Go!
              Doesn't he have like 9 concussions? So, maybe the other one?

Comment

Working...
              X