Who would you like to see hired?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who would you like to see hired?

Clearly HCTB has an important decision to make. Many have suggested Steve Lienhard.

Who would be considered a home run hire?

I doubt we could poach a guy like Scott Brown at Vandy for instance. Are there names anyone has heard or assistants somewhere that might be looking to move up?

Who would you hire?

I liked the point that was made earlier about Ehimen Orukpe being 7' tall which clearly means he will be the best choice.

Comment

Haha

Could we get a guy like Dan Roszel at East Carolina or Drew Thomas at Coastal Carolina maybe? Is that reaching?

Comment

Nobody but someone who has invested interest in this program is going to take over this dumpster fire. Why risk it? We haven't proven we can win without Gene and after 5 years of Butler Ball, we will be in a hurtbag. Hopefully Butler rights the ship and quick, because the alternative is not going to be any better.

Comment

Originally posted by Shockerman View Post
          Nobody but someone who has invested interest in this program is going to take over this dumpster fire. Why risk it? We haven't proven we can win without Gene and after 5 years of Butler Ball, we will be in a hurtbag. Hopefully Butler rights the ship and quick, because the alternative is not going to be any better.

Are we talkin' about the same thing? I mean a pitching coach. You don't think we can hire a pitching coach?

Comment

Why do I feel like we'll hire a former Arkansas grad assistant with a very light resume?

Edit: My money's on this guy: http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/coache/christian-kowalchuk-2/
            Last edited by wu_shizzle; June 13, 2016, 02:02 PM.
            "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
            -John Wooden

Comment

Originally posted by wu_shizzle View Post
              Why do I feel like we'll hire a former Arkansas grad assistant with a very light resume?

Edit: My money's on this guy: http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/co...n-kowalchuk-2/
              Don't go giving them ideas. We know all the coaches and recruits read this board and take it very seriously.

Comment

@Cdizzle: I know you're one of the loudest dissenters against HCTB. May I ask who, realistically you'd like to see hired?

It's my opinion anyone with ties to FHCGS is not realistic. Outside of that, is there anyone you'd be happy to see hired? Outside of a new HC?

Comment

Originally posted by Shocker3435 View Post
                  @Cdizzle I know you're one of the loudest dissenters against HCTB. May I ask who, realistically you'd like to see hired?

It's my opinion anyone with ties to FHCGS is not realistic. Outside of that, is there anyone you'd be happy to see hired? Outside of a new HC?
                  I'm not sure it's a winnable hire at this point. You have a program in shambles and a coach that is clearly on the hot seat in the next 1-2 years. You also just had the head coach relieve one of the best collegiate pitching coaches of the last 30 years of his duties and hang recent performances around his neck. None of those things bode well for hiring an established producer or an up-and-comer. So, no, I don't really have any suggestions. Other than I would definitely let Butler make the decision himself so there is no one left to blame. Best case is probably somebody looking for their first shot, and we get lucky. Which is always a possibility.

Honestly, at this point, I'm hoping either we get lucky, or we don't ruin anyone that would be a good candidate for that position in 1-2 years.

Comment

Andy Davis
                    The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

@Cdizzle: I know you're one of the loudest dissenters against HCTB. May I ask who, realistically you'd like to see hired?

Shocker3435 - I think everyone is concerned that we can't get anyone good because of the circumstances. I believe HCTB only has 1 or MAYBE 2 years to show considerable improvement or he will no longer be the coach. What established pitching coach do you think we can get given that you have 1 or 2 years to turn a bad pitching staff into a decent one? I realize assistant coaching contracts are usually year to year, but I don't think any pitching coach of any worth is making so little that they would risk a move to Wichita for a one-year contract worth $100,000. Do you think any of the guys you listed would even consider the job for longer than 15 seconds?

Comment

I like Andy Davis from Tabor or Bryan Wolff from SIU (if we could get him).

Comment

Originally posted by shockfan89_ View Post
                          Shocker3435 - I think everyone is concerned that we can't get anyone good because of the circumstances. I believe HCTB only has 1 or MAYBE 2 years to show considerable improvement or he will no longer be the coach. What established pitching coach do you think we can get given that you have 1 or 2 years to turn a bad pitching staff into a decent one? I realize assistant coaching contracts are usually year to year, but I don't think any pitching coach of any worth is making so little that they would risk a move to Wichita for a one-year contract worth $100,000. Do you think any of the guys you listed would even consider the job for longer than 15 seconds?
                          I'm right with you about being concerned. Coaching is a brutal profession and you have to win, no matter how good a guy you are.

I agree with your time table.

I believe, and I realize others will disagree, that WSU is still a premier program, with a lot to offer, including money, that many other programs can't offer and won't offer.

Yes I think many coaches will listen. Maybe not as many as I think, but I bet more than what some of the negative guys are thinking. There's always gray.

I believe HCTB will make a great hire.

Comment

I believe, and I realize others will disagree, that WSU still has the potential to be a premier program, with a lot to offer, including money, that many other programs can't offer and won't offer.
                            Fixed. :)

Comment

Sully mentioned on twitter yesterday he was hearing Jerry Oakes from Pitt being mentioned for the job. The team ERA trend line in the four years he's been there must have jumped out at Butler: 3.59 - 3.97 - 4.56 - 4.62.

In all fairness though, the first year was in the Big East and the last three as a pretty overmatched program in the ACC.

Plus, he's 6'5".

Comment

Working...
                              X