Fire Todd Butler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
    If Shelley's post is correct ("Don't lay Gene's firing on Sexton. Sexton did exactly what he was told to do by Boatright! That's a fact. Sexton was never a leader. This ALL is on Boatright."), that would explain a lot of what may be going on.

1) Butler is Boatright's man and ADDB is right when he says it is not financial that Butler's still here.

2) Gene will not entertain mending fences as long as both of them are around WSU.

I do believe that ADDB was probably strongly influenced in his decision by Gene's off field goings on, big donors' strong displeasure with the attention it was drawing, and Gene's salary of $500,000 for continued non-at-large performance. What we don't know for sure, but highly suspect, is Gene's unwillingness to work with the athletic department and the tensions that created on both sides.
    At the time this all went down, I said the same thing and was roundly shouted down or ignored. Folks forget the degree of public off field antics by FHCGS and many boosters, including more than a dozen or so in here know a great deal more that wasn't generally for public discussion. The entire incident is regrettable but Gene was not going leave without burning the ship/program to ground on his way out. It is sad in many ways.

Go Shocks!
    “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

• Originally posted by DUShock View Post
      At the time this all went down, I said the same thing and was roundly shouted down or ignored. Folks forget th degree is public off field antics by FHCGS and many boosters, i cluding more than a dozen or so in here know a great deal more that wasn't generally for public discussion. The entire incident is regrettable but Gene was not going leave without burning the ship/program to ground on his way out. It is sad in many ways.

Go Shocks!
      If your last two lines are true, and I have no reason to doubt they are, what a SAD commentary about his character. Hope it would not be that way....

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
        ran across this while checking KWCH to see if they were reporting the Chandler to Sunrise story. they're not, but...

It seems Butler decided not to recruit the B12 Newcomer of the Year (.405 BA) who was D1 eligible after one year at Neosho JuCo and would have required a recruiting trip all the way to Sedgwick, KS, but Brylie Ware is only 5'11"

http://www.kwch.com/content/sports/S...424196074.html
        Its stuff like this that makes everyone mad. In his own backyard and he didnt talk to him. It is time for a change. This too short bs is just stupidity.

Comment

What we don't know for sure, but highly suspect, is Gene's unwillingness to work with the athletic department and the tensions that created on both sides.
          I think we have a PRETTY strong feel for his "willingness" to work with the athletic department.

Comment

• Originally posted by molly jabali View Post
            If your last two lines are true, and I have no reason to doubt they are, what a SAD commentary about his character. Hope it would not be that way....
            The recent "I'll never forget OR forgive" attitude contributes to the character commentary as well.

Comment

• This is so sad.

One person posts a baseless opinion and everyone jumps on it like they are facts.

I bet it doesn't take 15 seconds to google this kid and Wichita State and find 5 articles talking about Coach Butler recruiting him.

This isn't 1995. It sure as heck isn't basketball where kids who get full athletic scholarships commit and decommit like crazy. This is a different world. These kids are getting fractional scholarships to play baseball. They have to find the programs they want to major in and the grants/scholarships to pay for the gaps.

Do a little research. See how many ot the top 500 HS baseball players in Class or 2018 have not already committed to a program. Keep in mind most of these will be drafted, and only end up on campus if spot money not high enough.

Now search 2019. Then 2020. That is where you will start to see a large number of high level players. If we "Fire Todd Butler", it is 2021 before we start to see an impact.

AAC will definitey help by putting us into North Carolina, Louisiana, Texas, Tennessee, etc. Hitting coach needs replaced yesterday. Sign Mike Steele if we can convince him to stay. Remember how many injuries to pitching staff we faced.

Y'all are becoming a sad bunch. Gonna bail again before you break out your rusted pitchforks.

Comment

• Originally posted by OregonShocker View Post
                I think we have a PRETTY strong feel for his "willingness" to work with the athletic department.
                Respectfully, unless you are with first-hand knowledge, please stop speculating on positions, motivations, willingness, etc. While (collectively) your positions may conveniently give you and others a basis of rationale that you live with comfortably, don't assume or regard the state of baseball (and the series of events of how it got here) like you know the whole picture. You don't. The waves of speculative (without first-hand knowledge) rhetoric is something I would hope, you will think about, including what you defend. We all have the choice about how we treat everything.
                Last edited by J2210P; May 30, 2017, 03:41 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by J2210P View Post
                  Respectfully, unless you are with first-hand knowledge, please stop speculating on positions, motivations, willingness, etc. While (collectively) your positions may conveniently give you and others a basis of rationale that you live with comfortably, don't assume or regard the state of baseball (and the series of events of how it got here) like you know the whole picture. You don't. The waves of speculative (without first-hand knowledge) rhetoric is something I would hope, you will think about, including what you defend. We all have the choice about how we treat everything.
                  Thanks. I'll stand by my statement based on my sources. Not present in the room, so not "first hand," but not speculative, either. Enough info that I have a PRETTY strong feel.

Comment

Thanks. I'll stand by my statement based on my sources. Not present in the room, so not "first hand," but not speculative, either. Enough info that I have a PRETTY strong feel.
                    Yes, your call about what you believe. Must say, I think it is perplexing and greatly assumptive to think that anyone could have a strong feel of another's disposition of heart and mind. Seems to me that someone in your universe lacks tact and discretion, and may be playing a game called Higher Power.

Comment

• Originally posted by J2210P View Post
                      Yes, your call about what you believe. Must say, I think it is perplexing and greatly assumptive to think that anyone could have a strong feel of another's disposition of heart and mind. Seems to me that someone in your universe lacks tact and discretion, and may be playing a game called Higher Power.
                      Mirror, anyone?

Comment

• Regardless of one's position in the matter, I would hope that all WSU baseball fans could reasonably agree that the program is now a mess.

And I think it would further be reasonable to agree that it is disappointing that those with the tools to clean up the mess are apparently not interested in doing so.

Comment

• Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown View Post
                          This is so sad.

One person posts a baseless opinion and everyone jumps on it like they are facts.

I bet it doesn't take 15 seconds to google this kid and Wichita State and find 5 articles talking about Coach Butler recruiting him.

This isn't 1995. It sure as heck isn't basketball where kids who get full athletic scholarships commit and decommit like crazy. This is a different world. These kids are getting fractional scholarships to play baseball. They have to find the programs they want to major in and the grants/scholarships to pay for the gaps.

Do a little research. See how many ot the top 500 HS baseball players in Class or 2018 have not already committed to a program. Keep in mind most of these will be drafted, and only end up on campus if spot money not high enough.

Now search 2019. Then 2020. That is where you will start to see a large number of high level players. If we "Fire Todd Butler", it is 2021 before we start to see an impact.

AAC will definitey help by putting us into North Carolina, Louisiana, Texas, Tennessee, etc. Hitting coach needs replaced yesterday. Sign Mike Steele if we can convince him to stay. Remember how many injuries to pitching staff we faced.

Y'all are becoming a sad bunch. Gonna bail again before you break out your rusted pitchforks.
                          I don't disagree with most of what you are saying here, but I count one post making the statement and link (where I didn't see anything making such a statement) and one other poster replying to the post as if it were true. So, I'm not sure where you come up with "everyone".

Perhaps, @Aargh: should have said "probably didn't recruit him". From all that we can tell, Butler does not recruit players under 6', or at least, has not signed one. I'm pretty sure he has also made some statements that he targets bigger athletes.

Nevertheless, Aargh's statement could very well be true as we've seen zero evidence otherwise. There just has been nothing concrete saying so.

I try on this board to speak a lot with "hedge words" to avoid the confusion between "absolutes" and "most likely".

Comment

Mirror, anyone?
                            In some circumstances, perhaps. In this, crystal clear. For those who assume any "facts," mirrors would be perfect. Often, those who do the most pointing have the most introspection needed.

It is not that those of us who support Gene (including the legions of his players) are not "over" this. It is about setting the record straight. As a fan of the program, why wouldn't any of you seriously be concerned about NOT having it straight, particularly with such a nationally significant program history?
                            Those of us who do know are offended by such crass, horribly-spirited commentary.
                            A cloak of anonymity in such a forum is never a license to profess false knowledge. It is not OK. You are only worsening the future as any kind of base. Or, if you think that this does provide such a license, enjoy.
                            Last edited by J2210P; May 30, 2017, 05:22 PM.

Comment

I don't disagree with most of what you are saying here, but I count one post making the statement and link (where I didn't see anything making such a statement) and one other poster replying to the post as if it were true. So, I'm not sure where you come up with "everyone".

Perhaps, @Aargh: should have said "probably didn't recruit him". From all that we can tell, Butler does not recruit players under 6', or at least, has not signed one. I'm pretty sure he has also made some statements that he targets bigger athletes.

Nevertheless, Aargh's statement could very well be true as we've seen zero evidence otherwise. There just has been nothing concrete saying so.

I try on this board to speak a lot with "hedge words" to avoid the confusion between "absolutes" and "most likely".
                              http://www.kansas.com/sports/college/state-college-sports/article81184832.html

http://www.kansas.com/sports/college/state-college-sports/article76853942.html

Comment

• [QUOTE=J2210P;736381]
                                Those of us who do know are offended by such crass, horribly-spirited commentary.
                                A cloak of anonymity in such a forum is never a license to profess false knowledge. It is not OK. You are only worsening the future as any kind of base.QUOTE]

If YOU were present in the room, with first hand knowledge, then shed your cloak and I will humbly bow to your knowledge. I am the first to apologize when I have wrong info. If you weren't in the room, then your source is no more or less speculative than mine, right? Even those actually in the room may say something less than truthful for their own reasons. I only state that I've got a PRETTY good feel about cooperation, not certainty. But please, if you were there, correct me. I'll apologize.

Comment

Working...
                                X