• Extend Butler.
    Deuces Valley.
    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• BOBB
      BOBB commented
      Editing a comment
      You're batting right around the Mendoza line with this George Costanza/Reverse Psychology thing. I hope you make solid contact this time!
      Last edited by BOBB; May 6, 2018, 01:55 PM. Reason: Grammar

• Will the improvement from last year to this year earn Butler an extension?

I'm at a loss for why the team can't get over the hump in conference action.

It is one of the toughest conferences in the country.

That said, Butler's record at McNeese looks a lot like his record at Wichita State.

Comment

• I am opposed to any extension of Todd Butler in any circumstances that does not contain a reasonable buyout provision which I would consider to be in the neighborhood of $150,000. He has had 5 full years now so I don't think it can be argued that he was not given adequate time.

The only reason to grant an extension at this point is for recruiting purposes but it has to come with an escape clause for the program.

I am not convinced that the best course of action at this point isn't to just buy him out at the end of this season but that is not a decision that needs to be made until this season comes to an end. Furthermore, not being privy to the finances of the athletic program it's hard to know if a $640,000 buyout is palatable and doable although you have to take into account lost and declining baseball revenue as well. I think it is pretty obvious that the move to the AAC has put a strain on the ahtletic departments finances. The poor showing of AAC basketball teams in the NCAA Tournament certainly didn't help that any.
      Last edited by 1972Shocker; May 6, 2018, 03:58 PM.

Comment

• I've been pulling for Butler and the guys to get it turned around but conference play has done it for me, its time for a change and I hope its a WSU alum that replaces him.

Comment

• I think everyone is setting themselves up for disappointment. Butler has made good friends in Wichita, and more importantly at WSU, where he needed to make good friends.

Not saying that’s what I want, but...
          Last edited by SHOCKvalue; May 7, 2018, 11:03 AM.

Comment

• It's Kevin Hooper time!

T

...:cool:

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
              I think everyone is setting themselves up for disappointment. Butler has made good friends in Wichita, and more importantly at WSU, where he needed to make good friends.

Very possible although the level of dissappointment and/or apathy surrounding Shocker baseball is already pretty significant so I am not sure adding more disappointment and apathy to where the program currently finds itself will be that significant.

But if WSU athletics are at the point of evaluating coaching perfourmances based primarily on friendships that would be an even bigger disappointment and concern.

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
                I think everyone is setting themselves up for disappointment. Butler has made good friends in Wichita, and more importantly at WSU, where he needed to make good friends.

I agree.....on both points.

I've said here that Butler is ADDB's man. Unfortunately, the conference performance will be ignored (except to point to the conference's strength) and the solid non-con performance touted. Nothing said about loses to the roster after this season, but positives regarding incoming recruits mentioned. Encouragement said regarding the latest assistant coaches, silence about the late season collapse including the fall from top notch defense early to comedy of errors late.

I'm hoping for nothing worse that a soft extension. Of course, there is still season left, so all of this could possibly change with a continued collapse or strong finish.

Comment

• If they give him an extension, I think I would pull my financial support from WSU.

That would be the absolute DUMBEST move an AD could make. There is absolutely ZERO justification for an extension. Zero.

The guy should have been canned last year.
                  Deuces Valley.
                  ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• ShockTalk
                    ShockTalk commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I don't disagree, Fev.

• Shox The Revenant
                    Shox The Revenant commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I'm with you, Butler has been given ample opportunity to restore the program back to its winning ways but has failed. This is his best club since he's been here, stacked with juniors and seniors including two top 5 round draft picks and the Shox are still in jeopardy of limping into the tourney - AT BEST.

Our AD is simply an enabler of mediocrity if he chooses to extend Butler and that will be unacceptable.

• Coach Stephenson started here in 1978 with no existing program and no facilities; in 1982 the Shockers played in the CWS Championship game . . .
                  just sayin' . . .

Comment

• Hire former players who were well liked and have instant support / respect from players and fans.
                    Do that and watch the fans return quickly.

Comment

• Coach Stephenson started here in 1978 with no existing program and no facilities; in 1982 the Shockers played in the CWS Championship game . . .
                      just sayin' . . .

Comment

• So Brad Hill is available now....

Comment

• ShockTalk
                          ShockTalk commented
                          Editing a comment
                          But we'd be looking to improve, not get worse.

• I thought this might be the year that this team got over the hump and started a major upward trend. It's starting to look like that is not going to happen. True, this year is vastly better than last. I don't think that improvement can atone for the previous four seasons of garbage though. Cutting ties with Butler at season's end (or before) seems the best course of action. Give me Hooper or Standiford.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shox The Revenant View Post
                          So Brad Hill is available now....
                          Maybe KSU will go after Todd Butler with the success he has had against B12 teams this year?

Comment

Working...
                          X