No announcement yet.

Fire Todd Butler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• While the overall results of the last 3 years are disappointing what is even more troubling to me is the direction the program is trending.

We have gone from 39-28 (Gene's final year) to 31-28 to 26-33 to 21-37. I hope and pray that trend is broken because a 16-42 finish is hard to fathom. I really don't see that happening though but if it does anguish will prevail.

We do have some nice pieces returning among the position players, at least offensively. However, in the post-gorilla ball era pitching and defense are of primary importance and in those areas we have a lot of improvement needed. I have no difficulty giving kudos to our 3 freshman All-Americans. All 3 of those players made great strides at the plate. That said all 3 showed they still need to make great strides in the field and they aren't the only ones. Not only technically but from a BBIQ standpoint as well. The good thing is that we are young and natural improvement should occur. Trey Vickers is probably the one position player who brings a well-rounded game to the ballpark.

Clearly though the elephant in the room is the pitching. Not sure that pointing a finger of blame does much good but fair or not the guy at the top of the food chain is ultimately responsible. It is also clear that there were significant philosophical differences between Coach Butler and Coach Kemnitz that, along with some unfortunate injuries, clearly hampered the effectiveness of the staff. Whether or not replacing Brent will resolve some of those issues remains to be seen. But the pitching clearly has to be improved if the bottom line results are going to improve.

It is nice to have 3 Freshman All-Americans in the fold and I congratulate those young men but we would be much, much better off it those were 3 pitchers instead of 3 position players (one who was selected as a DH).

There is no sugar-coating it though. Right now we are not a good baseball program. Will that start to change next year. I have no idea. I hope so.

Things that might be attractive to incoming recruits is that we do have great (although gradually fading) tradition and very good baseball facilities. More importantly though we have a plethora of opportunities, especially for pitchers, to come in and make an immediate impact if they have what it takes. So while we have a lot of problems to fix, the other side of that coin is that there is a lot of opportunity if you can be part of the solution.

BTW, I don't think there is much being posted on ShockerNet that is not pretty much obvious on the face of it. Articles in the local media have not exactly been fawning over the current state of the program either although the media is a bit more restrained and perhaps less blunt in how they portray their thoughts then you see on ShockerNet. That should be a surprise to absolutely no one. Clearly ShockerNetters are more emotionally involved.
    Last edited by 1972Shocker; June 10, 2016, 09:05 AM.

Comment

• Some of you guys might want to pace yourselves, the issue of Butler's status for 2016-17 has been settled and I'm guessing from Boatright's comments, 2017-18 as well. Someone said there is no hope for the future right now. I disagree. There's no guarantee the Shocks don't lose 40 games the next 2 years, of course, but I am optimistic that things start moving in the right direction next year. I'm always going to be disappointed that Butler screwed with the one thing that was still working right here, Kemnitz recruiting and having full control of the pitching staff, but I hope Butler finds some mechanics guru who can flip a few switches Brent couldn't. I also hope we have a few freshmen pitchers next year ready to push their way into key roles just as several freshman hitters did this past year. Baseball is a funny game, sometimes small adjustments make huge differences in both individual players and in teams. I'm confident the coaches and players want a big turnaround next year more than any of us do and are all working hard towards that goal. I'm rooting for their success.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockdaWorld View Post
        Thanks guys...now look at FutureShockerDad's join date...
        Your correct as to when I joined the board and I'm a Butler fan.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
          I believe her actions took place before Butler's hiring and before Gene was let go: February 2012 through November 2013 with Gene let go in June 2013. So, I'm guessing that she did care.

Note on both my last posts: I was in agreement that Gene needed to go and was a backer of Butler, said so here, and had told him so personally.
          It is a minor point that the infractions happened before butler got to WSU. It matters that the cloud was over the program when the NCAA sactions and penalties took place.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
            Perhaps they should know the truth. This was a once-proud program. Now some folks want to mute anyone that isn't OK with a .400 record because some recruit might not like it. Get real. The only impressive thing left is that there are some fans left that care enough to stick with it and complain.
            Not only is the recruit reading it but the other coaches using it against WSU.

Comment

• Originally posted by JohnQShocker View Post
              Haha....Scotch, maybe but very doubtful anytime soon.

I actually don't even feel worthy enough, you know. Dude has almost 25K posts since 2005 (so I assume he's some sort of admin).....and doing the math, that's nearly 200 posts a month. Wow!!! I don't even have 20 posts, man.....and a good portion of those posts have been attacked by Mr ShockerFever. Let's table that thought for a bit, shall we?....
              You don't have a twin brother named Willie Jeffries, do you?
              Deuces Valley.
              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• "Don't go to WSU! Look at their message board! They expect to win there!"

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                  You don't have a twin brother named Willie Jeffries, do you?
                  Nope....but I have been to Orangeburg a few times.

Comment

• Is your name Melissa?
                    Deuces Valley.
                    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                      Is your name Melissa?
                      Cant you read my handle??....its John....:)

Comment

• Originally posted by Dave Stalwart View Post
                        "Don't go to WSU! Look at their message board! They expect to win there!"
                        +1

Comment

• Originally posted by FutureShockerDad View Post

I noticed you didn't retort the 3 Frosh All American comments.
                          I will retort. It is hard to get too excited by the inclusion of a player on an All American team, when 28 outfielders, 7 designated hitters and 8 first basemen were selected.
                          "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

• Originally posted by BOBB View Post
                            I read it as acceptable as a milepost, not a destination. Would a top three finish not be a big improvement?
                            Too little, too late. We are talking about year 4 now.

Comment

• Plus, the MVC will be down so much again next year that a top 3 finish should be attainable if we play the same as this year. Next year has to be a conference win. Not that anything will happen if it isn't...

Comment

• Originally posted by FutureShockerDad View Post
                                WRONG, recruits that come in as freshman are signed in November of previous year.
                                And in the spring.

I'm pretty sure I read a story where Butler said he was surprised when he took over the job that there had bee no recruit signing for the fall or spring.

Comment

Working...
                                X