Fire Todd Butler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
    I would like to say you're full of crap, but I think that scenario is entirely within the realm of possibilities.
    Well, 1972, I don't think there's much question that KC is full of crap -- he proved that years ago. But he may indeed be right about this particular speculation, and it wouldn't greatly surprise me.

If KC says 2+2 = 4, I'm not going to doubt him just because he's KC.

Comment

• Originally posted by shockmonster View Post
      How's Brent's radio show going?

Brent's never quoted in stories regarding the pitching staff in the paper.

I don't know if Brent is the problem or not but things have definitely changed within the program and within the pitching staff.
      You got that right. I was just thinking about your point on quotes today.
      "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
        He's freaking 10-22 at a historical baseball program. Why should anyone have to tell him to be worried about the status of a job? If he doesn't know it by himself, than he's an even bigger buffoon than he's leading on to be.
        It's also arguably the worst season in program history. If Todd doesn't know his job is in jeopardy, then he shouldn't have be given the job in the first place because that would make him the biggest idiot on the planet.

I mean seriously, most thought 2009 was a disaster of a season and we still won 30 games that year. At this point just 20 wins is almost a pipe dream because I can count about 10 losses at least in the final 20 games. That means we'd have to go 7-3 in the other 10 to get to 20.

Also, we haven't won less than 30 games since 1970 and we only played 23 games that year.

Imo, and I said something similar when it happened, firing Gene was probably one of the biggest mistakes this University has made in quite some time on the athletics side. He won 39 games his final year and went to a regional. I know a lot of fans would kill for that season again right about now.

But KC Shox is right. No chance they fire Todd this quickly. He'll be a lame duck coach in 2017, no 2018 recruits will want to come here and whoever gets the job after another disastrous season in 2017 will be stuck with next to nothing to build on.

Comment

• I was wondering when someone would resurrect this thread. I knew it wouldn't sit idle after a great series this weekend.

Comment

• Originally posted by XManCometh View Post
            Imo, and I said something similar when it happened, firing Gene was probably one of the biggest mistakes this University has made in quite some time on the athletics side. He won 39 games his final year and went to a regional. I know a lot of fans would kill for that season again right about now..
            He got fired because he lost the support of the money people who support WSU athletics and attendance was dropping like a rock.

Those 39 wins came because Gene had one of his weakest schedule ever. That team was 5-20 versus top 100 completion and 11-1 versus 200+. Had butler put together a similar schedule he could have 39 wins also (his team is 5-18 versus top 100).

Comment

• Originally posted by SPEShockAlum View Post
              I was wondering when someone would resurrect this thread. I knew it wouldn't sit idle after a great series this weekend.
              You're talking about one snapshot, instead of looking at the entire album.

I'm never gonna root against WSU in anything (obviously). But I was afraid after the weekend series win, that people would think this program has "turned the corner", quickly forgetting about the 13-23 record, the tens of people in attendance, and unarguably the worst baseball season in modern history.

Considering this team hasn't won more than 2 games in a row ALL season, we can chalk this thing up to a fluke. It'll be proven like it already has, time and time again.

Butler has 40 days and counting.
              Deuces Valley.
              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
                He got fired because he lost the support of the money people who support WSU athletics and attendance was dropping like a rock.

Those 39 wins came because Gene had one of his weakest schedule ever. That team was 5-20 versus top 100 completion and 11-1 versus 200+. Had butler put together a similar schedule he could have 39 wins also (his team is 5-18 versus top 100).
                Maybe.

Do you think WSU can make a regional this year though? How do this year's attendance numbers (actual) compare to anything during the Gene tenure?

Let's not be fooled. As mediocre as the 2013 team was, they would wipe the floor against Butler's 2016 collaboration.
                Last edited by ShockerFever; April 18, 2016, 10:48 PM.
                Deuces Valley.
                ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                  Maybe.

Do you think WSU can make a regional this year though? How do this year's attendance numbers (actual) compare to anything during the Gene tenure?

Let's not be fooled. As mediocre as the 2013 team was, they would wipe the floor against Butler's 2016 collaboration.
                  I agree. Butler has the same problems as gene did - attendance in decline, unable to win games against quality competition. What is the best this team has done - won 2 games in a row? So it not likely they can put a streak together to win the MVC tournament.

Time for Hooper.

Comment

• 19 games to play (plus the MVC Tournament). So far 2 wins in a row is our longest winning streak, lost 5 in a row twice, we have never had a week above .500, 2-13 on the road, only have a winning record against RPI 200+ (3-1), we are giving up 2 runs per game more than we score, few if any players showing improvement from year to year, and one of the worst pitching staffs in the country.

Of our 19 remaining games we have 7 games against top 100 RPI teams, 9 games against 100-200, and 3 games against RPI 250+. Luckily we only have 7 remaining road games and none of them are against teams with an RPI under 100.

Here is my hope for the remaining schedule:

Win 2 of 3 from Bradley (14-13, RPI 136) at home
                    Split with KSU (16-20, RPI 149)
                    Win 1 of 3 at SIU (21-16-1, RPI 126)
                    Win 2 of 3 from ISU Blue (23-13, RPI 94) at home
                    Lose to CU (25-8, RPI 42) at home
                    Win 3 of 3 at ISU Red (10-25, RPI 251)
                    Beat KU (13-20, RPI 187) at home
                    Win 1 of 3 from DBU (24-11, RPI 58) at home.

That would mean we finish 11-8 for a record of 24-32 and hopefully win 1 or 2 in the MVC Tournament (on the road). Does anyone else see more than 10 or 11 wins on the remaining schedule?
                    Last edited by shockfan89_; April 19, 2016, 10:30 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by shockfan89_ View Post
                      19 games to play (plus the MVC Tournament). So far 2 wins in a row is our longest winning streak, lost 5 in a row twice, we have never had a week above .500, 2-13 on the road, only have a winning record against RPI 200+ (3-1), we are giving up 2 runs per game more than we score, few if any players showing improvement from year to year, and one of the worst pitching staffs in the country.

Of our 19 remaining games we have 7 games against top 100 RPI teams, 9 games against 100-200, and 3 games against RPI 250+. Luckily we only have 7 remaining road games and none of them are against teams with an RPI under 100.

Here is my hope for the remaining schedule:

Win 2 of 3 from Bradley (14-13, RPI 136) at home
                      Split with KSU (16-20, RPI 149)
                      Win 1 of 3 at SIU (21-16-1, RPI 126)
                      Win 2 of 3 from ISU Blue (23-13, RPI 94) at home
                      Lose to CU (25-8, RPI 42) at home
                      Win 3 of 3 at ISU Red (10-25, RPI 251)
                      Beat KU (13-20, RPI 187) at home
                      Win 1 of 3 from DBU (24-11, RPI 58) at home.

That would mean we finish 11-8 for a record of 24-32 and hopefully win 1 or 2 in the MVC Tournament (on the road). Does anyone else see more than 10 or 11 wins on the remaining schedule?
                      Personally I think you are being pretty optimistic.

Comment

• Let's call this season, heck, HCTB's tenure at Wichita State for that matter, exactly what it is...

“Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

Personally I think you are being pretty optimistic.
                          Notice I said "Here is my hope for the remaining schedule:". I probably should have placed a lot more emphasis on the HOPE part. :)

I desperately want to get to 25 wins and not get to 35 losses. Not much confidence in that, but hope is all I got left...

Comment

• But that new scoreboard is really cool.

Comment

• That scoreboard could have bought out Butler's contract.

A freaking worthless scoreboard that nobody watches better not be the thing that holds this thing back at the end of the season.
                              Deuces Valley.
                              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Quite true. I know a couple that attended a dinner for the big money boosters in LA during WSU's sweet 16 appearance. This couple was stunned by the pressure that was being applied on Sexton by the big money folks to get rid of Gene Stephenson.
                                ShockerNet is a rat infested cess pool.

Comment

Working...
                                X