Fire Todd Butler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
    Those Butler trend lines are hilarious, SB.
    In an utterly depressing kind of way.

Comment

• I don't think I saw anybody mention it, but Jeb Bargfeldt, who supposedly left so he could be a two-way player, is not playing two-ways in juco, but did sign in the fall with Miami(Fla). One of the reasons I am just now getting on the Fire Todd train is that there is a lot of potential in this freshman class of hitters, and with a pitching staff that is going to need to be rebuilt from the ground up, I didn't want to see these freshmen hitters transfer out. But now I'm wondering if hiring a guy like Hooper that everyone seems to instantly take to might convince more guys to stay than the promise of another season like this one.

To be honest, I'd have to advise these guys to put out some feelers this summer and look into following Bargfeldt's lead if there isn't a coaching change. We'll all still be here whenever the program becomes respectable again, but its not fair to ask these kids to waste the only college career they get playing for a lame-duck coach in a program that is not in the least living up to what they were sold on during their recruitment.

Comment

• Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
        Actually, Gene pretty much rode the talent he had in the program at the time he went to OU and came back for the next 3 year, but after talent left he didn't replenish it.

Since WSU last CWS, you can divide WSU history up into 4 groupings.

1. Pre-Molina (includes the '99 season) - WSU was winning at high level, was a national contender.

2. Pre-OU - drop off in talent (some might say the Molina incident was used against the program, but there was some off the field issues and distractions). Program was no longer a national contender, but a regional contender. But the program seemed to be recovering and building momentum

3. Post-OU - WSU momentum was stopped, and reversed itself after the immortal words of "I think we took it as far as we could possibly take it.". The program was fairly stable as Gene road talent that was in the program, but it became clear the talent level was dropping off and the program only hope to make the post-season was win the MVC tournament.

4. Butler Regime - as expected their was still negative momentum, when Butler took over there was no recruits signed for the next year. So you could say he really only into year 2, but the concerning thing is the decline is accelerating, not slowing down or reversing.
        Thanks, SB. As always, I admire a person, who speaks with facts and data.

You have painted an effective picture and an ugly picture.

I loved '98. What a fun year.
        "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

• Originally posted by WSUwatcher View Post
          Gee, that's easy, shockfan -- he's only 5-11. Everyone knows you need to be at least six feet tall to play baseball.

Also, in regard to the recruiting toward the end of the Gene regime: no question it was a killer to lose guys like Kozma, Norris, and Logan Watkins (and it didn't help that Dusty Coleman also got a surprisingly large offer to turn pro sooner than expected). But there was a time, back when WSU worked harder at recruiting, that they tended to shy away from guys who figured to be top five round prospects (local players like DDreifort and Pelfrey being the exceptions), because they didn't think they'd be able to keep them anyway. Instead they emphasized guys likely to be drafted lower but still blessed with some tools, and then developed them.

The downturn in recruiting was at least in part because the staff got a little lazy about digging up hidden gems, and instead devoted too much effort to guys who were high draft risks (although in fairness they were also unlucky that a couple of very talented local kids in Watkins and Norris turned out to be much greater draft risks than might have been reasonably anticipated).
          Good points. I don't think I will ever forget the year that the Shockers lost all of their recruits to the pros. Afterwards, the coaches recruited all summer for replacements. I do not remember the year, but SB will know.
          "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

• I've started to hear rumblings of him being fired at seasons end on campus. At least it sounds like these feelings of discontent are spreading. Let the fire burn I say!

Comment

• Originally posted by mr_baseball View Post
              I've started to hear rumblings of him being fired at seasons end on campus. At least it sounds like these feelings of discontent are spreading. Let the fire burn I say!
              You would have to be a hermit not to hear the rumblings. The question is are you hearing rumblings from small fry like me who has no real influence or rumblings from a source that can actually do something about it?
              Last edited by 1972Shocker; April 14, 2016, 05:25 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                You would have to be a hermit not to hear the rumblings. The question is are your hearing rumblings from small fry like me who has no real influence or rumblings from a source that can actually do something about it?
                I'm not rich enough to be around one of those sources ;)

Comment

• Originally posted by wsu789 View Post
                  My apologies if this has already been posted, but I found the comment about WSU's recruitment of this player somewhat interesting. Possibly, the baseball coaching staff does not follow the Marshall "shaving" approach to recruiting, as they have apparently promised, but failed, to follow up with the nation's leading junior college hitter. I guess we have all the really talented hitters that we need....

http://www.kansas.com/sports/college...e71416492.html
                  I have to think that kid is a sure-fire high draft pick this June and perhaps the staff didn't want to waste the resources. Still, you have to keep in contact. He's in your back yard. You could use two cans and a string. There's almost no risk unless you start attending his games.

Yeah, I know, he's not tall enough.

Comment

• This weak arse administration is going to rationalize that losing our best pitcher (again) and having such a young group of players is the reason why this season turned to dog poo. They'll convince themselves that Coach Butler and the program was just unlucky and will give him another opportunity to prove them right. Pride won't allow them to cut bait. Color me surprised if they do, but I'm betting that Coach Butler and Co., come back for 2017 - talk about the potential of a drama filled season.

Comment

• Originally posted by mr_baseball View Post
                      I'm not rich enough to be around one of those sources ;)
                      Join the club.

Comment

• In the all american club for the OU game were a lot of unhappy rich (richer than me) people and heard lots of mumbling while up there. I was only there because I got free tickets. I know Boatright was up there mingling with some of the people up there.

Comment

• Originally posted by mjbaker84 View Post
                          In the all american club for the OU game were a lot of unhappy rich (richer than me) people and heard lots of mumbling while up there. I was only there because I got free tickets. I know Boatright was up there mingling with some of the people up there.
                          This is encouraging...I guess. As encouraging as pissed off rich folks can be, anyhow. HA!

Comment

• Lol
                            It was bad at times when they would rather read a newspaper instead of watching the game

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
                              I have to think that kid is a sure-fire high draft pick this June and perhaps the staff didn't want to waste the resources. Still, you have to keep in contact. He's in your back yard. You could use two cans and a string. There's almost no risk unless you start attending his games.

Yeah, I know, he's not tall enough.
                              You just went totally "At this level"

Comment

• Originally posted by mjbaker84 View Post
                                Lol
                                It was bad at times when they would rather read a newspaper instead of watching the game

Well for the money they paid for access, they have to use it for something since there is no baseball to watch.

Comment

Working...
                                X