No announcement yet.

Serious Questions about Schedule

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think the past couple years have been great examples of fielding% not being indicative of good defense. I'm not sure anyone on the infield has range farther than they can fall down, and I'm not sure anyone in the outfield has range farther than they can throw their glove. Our catchers have 5 passed balls in 15 games and are giving up 76% stolen base success rate.

Any time I see/hear an opponent get a bunt down inside the lines, I assume they will reach at least 1st base, probably second. Any time I see/hear an opponent hit a ball towards 3rd I assume it is a double down the line.

The pitching is horrendous, but I wouldn't exactly say that anyone else on the field is really helping the pitcher out by taking a hit away every once in a while.

Comment

Originally posted by shockfan89_ View Post
      Decent seemed appropriate since we are 111 out of 300 D1 teams and we have only committed 17 errors in 15 games (1.133/game) for a .969 fielding %.

In 2015 we committed 69 errors in 59 games .970 fielding %
      In 2014 66 in 59 games - .970%
      In 2013 61 in 67 games - .977%
      In 2012 62 in 60 games - .974%
      In 2011 96 in 65 games - .962%
      In 2010 90 in 60 games - .961%

At this point fielding is one of our stronger areas of the struggling team. I whole-heartedly agree that those 17 errors have been very costly in prolonging innings and have hurt us a lot.
      If you have good pitching you can work around some errors. This year's teams errors are magnified because we don't have the arms to bail out the defense when needed. So any errors are just adding gasoline to the fire.

Comment

Decent seemed appropriate since we are 111 out of 300 D1 teams and we have only committed 17 errors in 15 games (1.133/game) for a .969 fielding %.

In 2015 we committed 69 errors in 59 games .970 fielding %
        In 2014 66 in 59 games - .970%
        In 2013 61 in 67 games - .977%
        In 2012 62 in 60 games - .974%
        In 2011 96 in 65 games - .962%
        In 2010 90 in 60 games - .961%

At this point fielding is one of our stronger areas of the struggling team. I whole-heartedly agree that those 17 errors have been very costly in prolonging innings and have hurt us a lot.
        I might very well be mistaken, but I believe 2012 and 2013 were WSU's best fielding teams, ever. I believe I remember this from 2012 where it was stated to be our best fielding %. At the same time, I notice that "our best" ever was 3rd or 4th in the Valley, just in that year. I believe we have always been a good, but just above average in fielding %.

Our offense has been on a general decline for about 15 years. Even times where we were ranked nationally, it was our pitching that was top 10-20, while our hitting was pretty much just above average. I was always amazed that we could not attract more and better offensive players (which were in larger supply) with us having top notch pitching (which was in lesser supply).

I always assumed the BK did most of the recruiting for pitchers during Gene's years. If Butler is now the recruiter for most of the pitching, that could explain two problems. BK, not Butler, should be doing the pitcher recruiting and second, BK may be very good at coaching his own style of recruits, not Butler's style of pitching recruits.

Not only were we not getting the type of hitters we were getting prior to the 2000s, their approach to hitting seemed to decline with it. This was why I was strongly in favor of replacing Thomas for Hooper or Standiford (both could have been a HCIW) as it would improve hitting, running the bases, and fielding, not to mention a new energy for recruiting. This may be too blunt, but I've never seen what worth Walker has been to this staff.

Comment

At the quarter poll and the record is 4 - 11.
          First a Baseball fan then a Volleyball fan and then I guess I follow the basketball team.

Comment

How did we win 4? It a miracle...
            First a Baseball fan then a Volleyball fan and then I guess I follow the basketball team.

Comment

Time for some motivation!!!!!!!!!

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
                I do not understand how anyone could classify our defense as 'decent.'
                Okay I withdraw the 'decent' label. SORRY, I was trying to look for a bright spot...

Comment

Okay I withdraw the 'decent' label. SORRY, I was trying to look for a bright spot...
                  lolz.

I can appreciate you trying to find something. Just nothing there this year.

Comment

Not a bad half inning, only 3 errors, 1 pass ball, 1 wild pitch, 1 walk.

Comment

I've got us at 1.13MM in NCAA shares so far. Just sayin'.

Comment

Fire everyone

Comment

Working...
                        X