Shocker Baseball Lost a great friend today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shocker Baseball Lost a great friend today

Shocker Baseball lost one of its biggest supporters today. Lloyd Phelps, known to many Shocker fans as Loyal Lloyd, died of an apparent heart attack this morning in his home.

Lloyd missed very few home baseball games since the early 1980s and attended most road games. At least one year he managed to attend every home and road baseball game.

Since 1993 he sat in the first row in the first seat on the first base side of Eck Stadium. He would usually get to the games very early and talk to most of the players. For several years he posted Ks for each strike out made by a Shocker pitcher and a bomb for each home run hit by a shocker batter.

While baseball was his first love, he was also a huge Shocker basketball and football fan. Lloyd was 66. He graduated from WSU in 1975.

RIP Loyal Lloyd.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by shocker3; December 9, 2015, 12:10 AM.

I
    Originally posted by shocker3 View Post
    Shocker Baseball lost one of its biggest supporters today. Lloyd Phelps, known to many Shocker fans as Loyal Lloyd, died of an apparent heart attack this morning in his home.

Lloyd missed very few home baseball games since the early 1980s and attended most road games. At least one year he managed to attend every home and road baseball game.

Since 1993 he sat in the first row in the first seat on the first base side of Eck Stadium. He would usually get to the games very early and talk to most of the players. For several years he posted Ks for each strike out made by a Shocker pitcher and a bomb for each home run hit by a shocker batter.

While baseball was his first love, he was also a huge Shocker basketball and football fan. Lloyd was 66. He graduated from WSU in 1975.

RIP Loyal Lloyd.
    Wow, I am shocked, he was truly a great fan.

I am sure he had seen more games than anyone but Gene Stephenson.
    An “Old West” Texas analysis and summary of Mueller report and Congress’ efforts in one sentence:

"While we recognize that the subject did not actually steal any horses, he is obviously guilty of trying to resist being hanged for it."

Comment

R.I.P. Lloyd

I first met Lloyd in probably 1975 when he tended bar at the Flicker. Maybe he ran the Flicker at that time, I'm not sure. Lloyd then opened Whiskey River in about 1979 and there was some good times there.

Lloyd was a passionate Shocker and fiercely defended the players during some of the bad times.

That first chair in the box seats down by the bullpen should be retired forever, imo.

R.I.P Mr. Shocker.
      Basketball Season Tix since '77-78 . . . . . . Baseball Season Tix since '88

Comment

I first met Lloyd as a member of the 2011 Shocker baseball team. Even though I wasn't there long, there is no doubt he made a lasting impression on my life. One thing that always struck me about him was although Shocker baseball wasn't anywhere close to "the best of times," he always kept his spirits up. He upheld the philosophy that anything is possible. RIP Lloyd.
        Once a Shocker, Always a Shocker-- RIP Guy Alang-Ntang

Shocker Basketball=Life

Comment

This is shocking news, Lloyd loved Wichita State, the DU house, and of course his greatest passion Shocker baseball.

Rest In Peace.
          “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

Always enjoyed Lloyd either at the Flicker or at a Shocker event. Saw Lloyd at a baseball tournament years ago at USA and he was there with one of his DU buddies Mike? Always positive about our Shocks. I will drink a beer to Lloyd tonight before the game. RIP

Comment

Lloyd was a grand fellow. First made his acquaintance in the DU house. RIP

Comment

“Loyal Lloyd” Phelps leads Wichita State baseball’s list of diehard fans

Article by Paul Suellentrop.

Comment

Very sad news.

Comment

Lloyd will be missed by many including myself. Tom, Lloyd, and I attended many games together, home and away, and Lloyd was a "best bud" to the players and a personal friend as well. I was the "johnny come lately", as I began following the program in 1988 and met Lloyd in the early nineties. His support of the baseball program continued from the day I met him until Tuesday. His support never waivered. He was not only loyal in attendance but a fierce defender of players and the baseball program until his passing. Lloyd and I attended many "fall ball" games to meet the rookies, learn names and faces, and renew friendships with upper classmen. Lloyd you will be missed now, next season, and your spirit will be with the players, team, and program forever. RIP "Biggin". Alan W.

Comment

Originally posted by pogo View Post
                      Always enjoyed Lloyd either at the Flicker or at a Shocker event. Saw Lloyd at a baseball tournament years ago at USA and he was there with one of his DU buddies Mike? Always positive about our Shocks. I will drink a beer to Lloyd tonight before the game. RIP
                      LLoyd was there with his good DU buddy Mike Edwards. Mike lives in the Gulfport, MS area.
                      Last edited by shocker3; December 10, 2015, 09:12 PM.

Comment

Sad news. I remember seeing him all the time; our seats were near the home dugout as well.

Comment

Working...
                        X