2016 Shocker Baseball Schedule

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2016 Shocker Baseball Schedule

WICHITA, Kan. – The 2016 Wichita State baseball schedule features 18 games against 2015 NCAA Tournament teams along with 34 home games, head coach Todd Butler announced Dec. 8.

http://www.goshockers.com/schedule.aspx?path=bsb&

Looks like a decent schedule highlighted by 3-game road series at New Mexico, Cal-State Fullerton and Nebraska, a 3-game home series with TCU. Home and home arrangements with Oklahoma, Kansas, Kansas State and ORU plus a late season home game with Creighton. Also we get MSU and DBU at home this year in Valley play.
    Last edited by 1972Shocker; December 8, 2015, 12:46 PM.

That's a decent schedule IMO. There are by my count 22 home vs. 13 away non-con. Not bad and the non-con is pretty salty. Butler and staff need to make some hay this year.
    Basketball Season Tix since '77-78 . . . . . . Baseball Season Tix since '88

Comment

Originally posted by Shocker85 View Post
      That's a decent schedule IMO. There are by my count 22 home vs. 13 away non-con. Not bad and the non-con is pretty salty. Butler and staff need to make some hay this year.
      The away portion of the non-con schedule looks decidedly tougher. They definitely need to make hay on the home portion of the schedule and hopefully just hold their own on the road and not totally blow-up on the road portion of the non-con schedule. 5 - 8 in those 13 non-con road games would not be great but considering he competition would not be too surprising. Anything better than that would be a good outcome IMHO. A 7-6 result would be very good IMHO.

Comment

Coach Butler certainly does not lack nads - that is one hell of a tough schedule in a year where he is facing some pressure to rack up W's.

I hope we can perform well.

Comment

Maybe he knows he isn't facing pressure to produce W's?

Comment

it's time for this program to make noise again. I like the schedule.

Comment

Collegiate Baseball Pre-Season Poll:

Comment

2 MVC teams ranked in front of us: Missouri State # 17, Dallas Baptist # 31, WSU # 66.

I was a little surprised when I looked back at the poll after reading that the poll considered:
                1. Voting by Division I coaches
                2. How a team finished last year
                3. Returning players
                4. Quality of recruiting classes.

With the players we are returning and what other teams lost in the draft, I really hope we have a chance at winning the conference this season. Maybe I am basing too much hope on the final 15 to 20 games of last year?

Comment

Originally posted by shockfan89_ View Post
                  2 MVC teams ranked in front of us: Missouri State # 17, Dallas Baptist # 31, WSU # 66.

I was a little surprised when I looked back at the poll after reading that the poll considered:
                  1. Voting by Division I coaches
                  2. How a team finished last year
                  3. Returning players
                  4. Quality of recruiting classes.

With the players we are returning and what other teams lost in the draft, I really hope we have a chance at winning the conference this season. Maybe I am basing too much hope on the final 15 to 20 games of last year?
                  Yes and no. Just as I used it for Gene, I'll use it for Butler....winning the Valley, or at least being in the top 2 every year, is my first litmus test as to a WSU baseball coach's success. Regardless of returning players, rating quality of last year's class, or how we finished the season, Butler is in his 3rd year and WSU very much needs to be, at minimum, a strong contender for the Valley championship.

I like Butler and have backed him, but it is time to regain dominance of the Valley if he has any chance of higher goals in the future. Short of a lot of key injuries, this is not asking to much given the history and backing of WSU and the level of salary he is getting. His honeymoon period is rapidly coming to an end. It's time to start getting results on the investment.

Comment

It is a positive that WSU showed up in the poll after having it worst season (in modern times). But it hard to be to optimistic until this program actually proves it back and win on the field.

Comment

The Valley is going to be pretty good again this year. Kind of top heavy still, but I'd put up DBU and Missouri State against anyone. I'm not just saying this to pander to this audience or anything but I think Wichita State will be in the hunt for an at large. Butler is kind of meh to me, but you have the financial backing and history to keep being a factor in this league moving forward.

Comment

I guess my question to you, and other long-term Shocker baseball fans, is if we finish 3rd in the MVC behind MSU and DBU what does that mean for the direction of the program? Are we on the right track? Butler has a 7 year contract so no concern about a head coaching change, but fans will really start to ask questions if three seasons in the best we have to show for it is a 3rd place finish and .500 overall record (we need to win at least 30 games this year to ensure we stay above .500).

To me, I need to see an improvement in baseball IQ from the staff and players. Last year there were a lot of things that left me scratching my head and having to admit this just wasn't good baseball whether the talent was there or not. If that improves a lot this season I will be pleased. Kind of sad that is my biggest goal for the upcoming season...

Comment

I guess my question to you, and other long-term Shocker baseball fans, is if we finish 3rd in the MVC behind MSU and DBU what does that mean for the direction of the program? Are we on the right track? Butler has a 7 year contract so no concern about a head coaching change, but fans will really start to ask questions if three seasons in the best we have to show for it is a 3rd place finish and .500 overall record (we need to win at least 30 games this year to ensure we stay above .500).

To me, I need to see an improvement in baseball IQ from the staff and players. Last year there were a lot of things that left me scratching my head and having to admit this just wasn't good baseball whether the talent was there or not. If that improves a lot this season I will be pleased. Kind of sad that is my biggest goal for the upcoming season...
                          A little luck with healthy starting pitchers is a nice start. Our pitching staff was decimated with injuries.

Comment

I guess my question to you, and other long-term Shocker baseball fans, is if we finish 3rd in the MVC behind MSU and DBU what does that mean for the direction of the program?
                            I guess it depends whether it is a third with at being at-large, or a third with a losing conference record. I think the first thing the program has to do is get back to the post-season. If WSU doesn't make the post-season next year, I think you will start hearing questions asked in the media about the direction.

I heard Lutz ask Kemnitz if he felt they were on the hot seat this year - he deflected the question with the standard "we expect to win every year" reply. They other thing that could be in play is the basketball team. They have been taking attention away with from the baseball team with their performances the last 6 years and people not paying much attention until basketball is over. But with the start of this year season - baseball might be under more of microscope this year.

Comment

Pre-Season Al Americans

Comment

Working...
                              X