Fleming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fleming

Tyler has done a hell of a job out of the bullpen this year and has really adjusted well coming from JUCO into the d-1 level. Does he deserve to be the 4th starter or is he too valuable out of the bullpen?

I like Fleming in the long-relief stopper role. If a starter struggles or gets injured, he's available to hold the fort for 3-5 innings.

Capra did that role well as a FR and there have been a number of other good long-stoppers in the past.

It is OK to develop the young talent in mid-week as #4 and #5 and keep Fleming available for emergency duty. I would be interested to know Brent's thoughts on days off after 4+ innings in relief and if there is a pitches-per-week or innings-per-week limit. Does Fleming need 2, 3, or 4 days off after a long outing or can he go short innings after just a couple days? Does in-game pitch count total dictate number of days off?

Also, the Shox in all liklihood will lose #1, #2, and #3 starters to graduation/draft this year and need to get some of the FR and SO pitchers game-ready.

--'85.
    Basketball Season Tix since '77-78 . . . . . . Baseball Season Tix since '88

Comment

That is a good point, but it looks as if Fleming will be a canidate for a weekend starting spot for next year.

Comment

Tyler Fleming = This year's Noah Booth

Comment

Why don't we use him as the mid-week starter? I know he is valuable out of the pen due to our obvious shortcomings and I may have answered my own question, but we have some very important non-con games for the upcoming season during the mid-week and I think he would give us the best opportunity to win these important games.

Comment

Originally posted by KC Shox
            Why don't we use him as the mid-week starter? I know he is valuable out of the pen due to our obvious shortcomings and I may have answered my own question, but we have some very important non-con games for the upcoming season during the mid-week and I think he would give us the best opportunity to win these important games.
            Flip side of that ...

Why not keep him in the bullpen and make him available for 2 or 3 appearances per week of 2, 3, or sometimes 4 innings to nail down wins?

There are valid points both ways, but you can't win anymore with just your starters. Even deep into the season, 100-110 pitches is the absolute limit and on average that gets you into the 7th or 8th inning. You have to have a go-to reliever to finish-up.

He's been good so far, and I'm happy either way.

--'85.
            Basketball Season Tix since '77-78 . . . . . . Baseball Season Tix since '88

Comment

Tim Kelley will remain our #4 guy, but we will need a #5 guy. I don't have a clue who that will be at this point.

As our starters get to where they are going 7 innings, and if some guys step up to give us reliable 8th and 9th inning relief, I can see giving Tyler an occasional midweek start.

Comment

Working...
              X