No announcement yet.

Mike Pelfrey -- new and improved thread for his future

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's nuts that a back-end starter is worth $8mil/per.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
      It's nuts that a back-end starter is worth $8mil/per.
      I think it's fair to say professional sports contracts have officially been 'nuts' for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
        I think it's fair to say professional sports contracts have officially been 'nuts' for a while.
        Yes, but starting pitchers especially, given their propensity to injury.

Just throwing some ballpark figures out there, using Pelfrey as a baseline:

#1 SP: $20 mil (Ace level)
        #2 SP: $16 mil
        #3 SP: $13 mil
        #4 SP: $10 mil
        #5 SP: $8 mil

That's my impression of what a contending team's starting rotation probably makes. That's $67 million. Even if none of them miss any starts, they'll pitch about 2/3rds of a game. Then assume they account for about 2/3rds of the defensive value (preventing runs) of those innings. That's basically 44% of the defense, which is half of what constitutes a game (50% defense, 50% offense). They account for 22% of total game influence. But they are going to earn probably a third of the team's salary.

Yes, I pulled some of those numbers out of my butt, but I don't think they are far off.

Comment

Arizona just signed Greinke for 6yr, $195 mil. That's $32.5 mil per year. Double nuts.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
            Arizona just signed Greinke for 6yr, $195 mil. That's $32.5 mil per year. Double nuts.
            I cant believe anyone locked him up for 6 yrs.

Comment

Mike has been called up for a spot start today and will make his debut for the White Sox against the Indians. He is taking James Shields' spot in the rotation during his DL stint.

Good luck today, Mike.

Comment

Originally posted by rrshock View Post
                I cant believe anyone locked him up for 6 yrs.
                Age 33. Fast ball pitcher. I do not know. Maybe 70 wins. Maybe 80 wins. What is 195 divided by 80? That would be $2,437,500 per win.
                "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

Originally posted by Play Angry View Post
                  Mike has been called up for a spot start today and will make his debut for the White Sox against the Indians. He is taking James Shields' spot in the rotation during his DL stint.

Good luck today, Mike.
                  Does that just leave the Royals to round out the Central? NM. I guess he hasn't played for the Tribe, either.

Comment

Mike has been phenomenal the last few weeks - over his last 3 starts he has lowered his ERA from 5.70 to 3.86 while earning a couple wins and allowing just 2 runs across 16 IP

Keep it rolling big fella!

Comment

Mike has continued his trend of improved performance recently.

Over his last 7 outing (6 starts), he has allowed just 7 ER in 32 IP, posting a 1.97 ERA during that span. For the season he has a 3.56 ERA and 1.26 WHIP to go with 35 Ks in 55.2 IP.

He takes the bump tomorrow against Oakland, hopefully he can keep the trend intact.

Comment

Pelfrey & Looper Donate to Stadium Project

WICHITA, Kan. – Wichita State is proud to announce significant donations from Mike and Angela Pelfrey and Braden and Shannon Looper to the Eck Stadium project. Pelfrey and Looper were both All-America pitchers at WSU.
                        "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Any chance the donations were contingent on a change in direction of the baseball program?

Comment

Seems like an announcement of that change would have been a condition to the pledge if that were the case.

Anything's possible, but I'd peg it as extremely unlikely if you're referring to a coaching change.

Comment

I am not sure when this construction will take place, I was thinking more of a verbal discussion that the donation will take place after the new coach is announced. In other words, they announced the gift today but money won't change hands until 2019 when construction begins... Maybe just wishful thinking on my part?

Comment

Well, in any case, kudos to Mike and Braden.

Comment

Working...
                                X