No announcement yet.

Shox vs KState

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 and 11 in our last 13 and looking at the rest of the schedule, there is a real possibility the Shox don't break the teens in wins this year. Flat out pathetic how this program has gone from hero to zero.

Comment

• Originally posted by WheatShock View Post
      Didn't Baker pitch & play SS in high school?
      He would probably tear his ACL if he ever stepped on to the field for this program. Someone needs to get the Hooper wagon out of the barn and start getting it serviced and ready to go.

Comment

• I never wanted gene fired to begin with. Always felt there was something else negatively impacting his past 3-4 years (health, budget, etc...)
        Doesn't matter anymore though because TB is the WSU coach and I'll support the Shox.
        He may be taking 2-3 GIANT steps backward before he leaps his program forward.
        It's frustrating, sad, and damn near disrespectful to the past coaches and players.
        However, at this point all I can do is reserve judgement until year 4 and hope he knows what the hell he's doing.
        Also... I hate those Gregg comparisons. Gregg got better every year; not worse.
        Go Shox!

Comment

• I followed Goshen in high school and he had all kinds of command - takes him a bit to get it a groove- which doesn't always work well out of the pen- he will be best when he is a starter.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hoosier Shocker View Post
            I followed Goshen in high school and he had all kinds of command - takes him a bit to get it a groove- which doesn't always work well out of the pen- he will be best when he is a starter.
            Not trying to be a pain, and you can't base anything on just this one outing, but Goshen threw 64 pitches. If he isn't in the grove by then I don't think he will still be in the game even if he is a starter.

Comment

• Originally posted by Veritas View Post
              I never wanted gene fired to begin with. Always felt there was something else negatively impacting his past 3-4 years (health, budget, etc...)
              Doesn't matter anymore though because TB is the WSU coach and I'll support the Shox.
              He may be taking 2-3 GIANT steps backward before he leaps his program forward.
              It's frustrating, sad, and damn near disrespectful to the past coaches and players.
              However, at this point all I can do is reserve judgement until year 4 and hope he knows what the hell he's doing.
              Also... I hate those Gregg comparisons. Gregg got better every year; not worse.
              Go Shox!
              I want Shocker baseball to get back to it's winning ways and want HCTB to be successful but sometimes I get frustrated with Mike and others that throw out words like doubters. The fact is HCTB didn't really improve from year to year in his only other head coaching job and he hasn't shown improvement at WSU. I think it's a given he will be able to improve on this year's record next year but I fail to understand where people get all the optimism from? Is it that they WANT him to do better or are they basing this optimism on some intangibles? Below is HCTB record by year at McNeese State. As you can see, zero improvement from year to year...

2001 - 29-25
              2002 - 30-28
              2003 - 31-30

Comment

• Originally posted by shockfan89_ View Post
                Not trying to be a pain, and you can't base anything on just this one outing, but Goshen threw 64 pitches. If he isn't in the grove by then I don't think he will still be in the game even if he is a starter.
                Good point- I just think it's a different mindset starting - rather than coming out of the pen late in the game, and having so many appearances, instead of just working once a week. He will find his command - has plenty of arm, he will be just fine.

Comment

• There's just no 'juice' in this program right now. I think Gene's exit was ugly, the NCAA BS was ugly, the injuries are ugly... worst season since 1970? Bloody hell. He gets 1 more year in my book, but that's it. Too great a program to just accept this kind of losing.

Comment

• Originally posted by shockfan89_ View Post
                    I want Shocker baseball to get back to it's winning ways and want HCTB to be successful but sometimes I get frustrated with Mike and others that throw out words like doubters. The fact is HCTB didn't really improve from year to year in his only other head coaching job and he hasn't shown improvement at WSU. I think it's a given he will be able to improve on this year's record next year but I fail to understand where people get all the optimism from? Is it that they WANT him to do better or are they basing this optimism on some intangibles? Below is HCTB record by year at McNeese State. As you can see, zero improvement from year to year...

2001 - 29-25
                    2002 - 30-28
                    2003 - 31-30
                    Do you have the SOS for those years? Also that was 12 to 15 years back and it was McNeese Sate.

I'm not saying HCTB is doing a fantastic job. So far he is not. OTOH, the man deserves a fair chance which I don't think he is really getting. Keep in mind that HCTB had nothing to do with Gene losing his job but he seems to be the guy taking the brunt of the disgruntlement with that.

At least that's my perception.

Comment

• We don't even have a polished turd anymore, it's just a fossilized cow patty at this time.
                      ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

• Originally posted by kstarheel View Post
                        There's just no 'juice' in this program right now. I think Gene's exit was ugly, the NCAA BS was ugly, the injuries are ugly... worst season since 1970? Bloody hell. He gets 1 more year in my book, but that's it. Too great a program to just accept this kind of losing.
                        Get ready to write one big check then. That would be what a $1.2 million buyout. Heck they didn't even want to buy Gene out for more than one year which was what $700,000 or so. I can see them buying 2 years of HCTB's contract out, but not 3 or 4. I think he is with us for at least 3 more years.

Keep in mind that we couldn't even totally complete the Phase II funding of the Eck Stadium improvements planned when Gene was still here. The partial funding they did come up with to complete a couple of the priority items only happened because of some accounting sleight of hand where they transferred credit for some of the student fee increases implemented for student tickets to the men's basketball games over to the baseball program by granting some enhancements to the student basketball ticket program.
                        Last edited by 1972Shocker; April 15, 2015, 09:27 AM.

Comment

• Well, if the coaches and the players have written the season off, why shouldn't we? I would expect home attendance to be even more dismal in the final weeks of the season. And sadly, there may be more DBU and MSU fans at the Valley Tournament than the home crowd. Sad days ahead.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                            Keep in mind that HCTB had nothing to do with Gene losing his job but he seems to be the guy taking the brunt of the disgruntlement with that.
                            This might be the best explanation I have seen regarding the discontent towards the baseball team. Granted, winning will cure a lot of these ills, but I too have noticed those taking their anger out on Todd for Gene getting fired.
                            78-65

Comment

• I do feel sorry for those that watched that predictable disaster of a game.

I had more important things to do, like sniffing pixie stix.
                              Deuces Valley.
                              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                                Do you have the SOS for those years? Also that was 12 to 15 years back and it was McNeese Sate.

I'm not saying HCTB is doing a fantastic job. So far he is not. OTOH, the man deserves a fair chance which I don't think he is really getting. Keep in mind that HCTB had nothing to do with Gene losing his job but he seems to be the guy taking the brunt of the disgruntlement with that.

At least that's my perception.
                                1972Shocker – I don’t have the SOS and completely agree that is old data. I just don’t know what people are basing their optimism on. I am HOPEFUL HCTB will turn things around but I am not excited about our future at this point in time. I also realize HCTB will be our coach for at least 5 years regardless of how well we do.

I think your point on blaming HCTB for Gene being fired is EXCELLENT. I don’t consciously blame HCTB one bit, in fact I feel sorry for him. I blame two people for Gene being fired and how he was fired (ADES and Gene). I also blame ADES for putting HCTB in a no-win situation by signing BK to a 7 year contract (I believe this was done before HCTB was even hired). IMHO that severely limited potential candidates. I think ADES also overlooked a good candidate or two because they were “Gene’s guys” and he let his disdain for Gene get in the way of hiring the best candidate for the job.

I am still a huge supporter of Shocker baseball. To that point, I added additional season tickets this year (honestly because of favorable pricing) and now have more season tickets than I ever had under HCGS. I have been at every home game and traveled to two away games. I know I can appear negative at times, but sometimes it is hard for me to separate my support of Shocker baseball from support of Gene since Gene was Shocker baseball for so long.
                                Last edited by shockfan89_; April 15, 2015, 11:10 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X