Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Passive baseball fan here...what's the outlook.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Passive baseball fan here...what's the outlook.

I was a fan when I went to WSU but haven't followed much of the last few years (fail...I agree). Listening to the updates on the radio, sounds like the team is still growing. Get me up to par on the situation please! Was Butler the right hire? Will the team return to conference championship form? Will they compete nationally in the near future? Thank you!

Looks like it all good. WSU is in 1st place in the MVC. Their recruiting classes are highly regarded. Sky's the limit.

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
      Looks like it all good. WSU is in 1st place in the MVC. Their recruiting classes are highly regarded. Sky's the limit.
      Yep, in fact it was ranked the second best class coming into this year nationally. Butler had a winning record at his previous head coaching stint so we should expect the same here eventually.

Comment

Wednesday's game with KU marks the halfway point of the season. Interesting to note at this point we only have 2 wins against teams in the top 100 and also only 2 wins against teams with a winning record.

We don't have a chance to improve either of those numbers against KU or this weekend against ISU blue.

Only 1 of our next 9 games is against an opponent with a winning record (@ Texas on 4/7). One more chance to right the ship before the final third of the season starts...
        Last edited by shockfan89_; March 29, 2015, 08:50 PM.

Comment

what is the current w/l record of wsu?

will we be competing for a valley title this year?

Comment

Originally posted by mjbaker84 View Post
            what is the current w/l record of wsu?

will we be competing for a valley title this year?
            11-16. We are currently 1/2 game out of 1st in the MVC at 3-0, although the only team we have played (Southern Illinois) is 5-21, very young, only have a few quality pitchers, and is the only team in the MVC with a lower RPI than WSU.

Comment

Originally posted by shockfan89_ View Post
              11-16. We are currently 1/2 game out of 1st in the MVC at 3-0, although the only team we have played (Southern Illinois) is 5-21, very young, only have a few quality pitchers, and is the only team in the MVC with a lower RPI than WSU.

Comment

I don't think the outlook for the remainder of this year is that good. The quality and depth of our pitching staff is suspect to begin with and now we have had all of our weekend rotation out because of injuries.

Sam Tewes tried to come back from a shoulder injury against TCU on Sunday and only lasted 18 pitches before being removed due to his arm not being right. Willie Schwanke has been ruled out for the season with a "pulled muscle". Isaac Anderson did pitch a couple of effective innings in relief coming off an elbow injury and appeared to be okay, but we will see.

We have not generally been a strong hitting team and to-date we have been a poor fielding team. Not only that our mistakes seem to come at the most inopportune times.

Hopefully, we will at least be somewhat competitive in the Valley but what do we really have to hang our hats on at this point?
                Last edited by 1972Shocker; March 30, 2015, 11:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by shockfan89_ View Post
                  Wednesday's game with KU marks the halfway point of the season. Interesting to note at this point we only have 2 wins against teams in the top 100 and also only 2 wins against teams with a winning record.

We don't have a chance to improve either of those numbers against KU or this weekend against ISU blue.

Only 1 of our next 9 games is against an opponent with a winning record (@ Texas on 4/7). One more chance to right the ship before the final third of the season starts...
                  What are the odds that KU baseball continues to schedule us? Is it to their advantage to do so?

Comment

On the Todd Butler show tonight, he revealed that along with Schwanke, Tewes and Kirk are out for the season. Schwanke and Tewes will get a medical redshirt, but they aren't sure about Kirk yet.

Comment

Originally posted by zeptepi View Post
                      On the Todd Butler show tonight, he revealed that along with Schwanke, Tewes and Kirk are out for the season. Schwanke and Tewes will get a medical redshirt, but they aren't sure about Kirk yet.
                      Sounds like we will be reduced to using pre-determined splits for mid-week games.
                      Last edited by 1972Shocker; March 31, 2015, 02:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by zeptepi View Post
                        If it wasn't for bad luck, this team would have no luck.
                        “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

Can I turn in my baseball tickets for a credit toward next year? Good grief.

Comment

I was just using mine for the free queso at Carlos O'Kelly's until I realized they only honor it if we win. Come on Shocks I need a fix tomorrow night after the game!!! I figured I will go either way, win and I get free queso, lose and I drink away the pain with margaritas...

SPEShockAlum - I have a feeling you will be able to get a really good deal on tickets next year too. :(

Comment

Working...
                            X