Shocks vs Salukis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shocks vs Salukis

Getting this out of the way today since nobody will care tomorrow.

Southern Illinois is 3-16 (1-3 at home). They are a young team, with only 7 JRs and SRs listed on the roster, but are not very good on paper. They have a lower RPI than Western Illinois with wins over Eastern Kentucky (6-11), Northern Illinois (9-10), and Illinois (14-4). Losses include TCU (3), Eastern Kentucky (3), Murray State, Western Kentucky (3), Northern Illinois (2), Belmont, Illinois (2), and Tennessee-Martin.

Pitching – They have one quality starter, Redshirt SR Aaron Hauge (LHP). He is the Friday starter and has been the starting pitcher in all 3 of the Salukis wins this year. They have used 6 other starters but they haven’t found anyone else that can deliver a win. They have a couple quality relievers but it drops off pretty quick. I imagine SIU will sell out to win Friday’s game starting Hauge and following him with Colten Selvey (Jr RHP and closer), Freshman RHP Ryan Netemeyer, or both.

Hitting – SIU is hitting .233 as a team with 5 HRs, 19 doubles, no triples and are only 9-16 stealing. FR OF/IF Logan Blackfan is their best hitter at .302 with 4 doubles. Greg Lambert (FR INF) is hitting .299 and leads the team with 9 RBIs. SO C Jake Hand is hitting .271 with 8 RBIs and FR INF Chase Slone is hitting .265 with 4 RBIs and is 2-3 stealing. Everyone else is under .250.

Fielding – This is probably the one bright spot for SIU (and that they’re young). The Salukis are fielding .972. Will Farmer (SO INF) has 4 errors and is the only player with more than 2.

It sounds really dumb saying this the opening weekend of conference play, but we must sweep this series. Friday should be the only game in doubt but hopefully we can get two Shocker wins the same day!
    Last edited by shockfan89_; March 19, 2015, 02:11 PM.

Originally posted by shockfan89_ View Post

Southern Illinois is 3-16 (1-3 at home). They are a young team with only 7 JRs and SRs listed on the roster but are just not a good team. They have a lower RPI than Western Illinois with wins over Eastern Kentucky (6-11), Northern Illinois (9-10), and Illinois (14-4). Losses include TCU (3), Eastern Kentucky (3), Murray State, Western Kentucky (3), Northern Illinois (2), Belmont, Illinois (2), and Tennessee-Martin.

Pitching – They have one quality starter, Redshirt SR Aaron Hauge (LHP). He is the Friday starter and has been the starting pitcher in all 3 of the Salukis wins this year. They have used 6 other starters but it appears they haven’t found anyone else that can deliver a win. They have a couple quality relievers but it drops off pretty quick. I imagine SIU will sell out to win Friday’s game starting Hauge and following him with Colten Selvey (Jr RHP and closer), Freshman RHP Ryan Netemeyer, or both.

Hitting – SIU is hitting .233 as a team with 5 HRs, 19 doubles, no triples and are only 9-16 stealing. FR OF/IF Logan Blackfan is their best hitter at .302 with 4 doubles. Greg Lambert (FR INF) is hitting .299 and leads the team with 9 RBIs. SO C Jake Hand is hitting .271 with 8 RBIs and FR INF Chase Slone is hitting .265 with 4 RBIs and is 2-3 stealing. Everyone else is under .250.

Fielding – This is probably the one bright spot for SIU (and that they’re young). The Salukis are fielding .972. Will Farmer (SO INF) has 4 errors and is the only player with more than 2.

It sounds really dumb saying this the opening weekend of conference play, but we must sweep this series. Friday should be the only game in doubt but hopefully we can get THREE Shocker wins the same day!
    FIFY
    78-65

Comment

Originally posted by shockfan89_ View Post
      With the state of the program right now I am not sure many people care today.
      An “Old West” Texas analysis and summary of Mueller report and Congress’ efforts in one sentence:

"While we recognize that the subject did not actually steal any horses, he is obviously guilty of trying to resist being hanged for it."

Comment

Originally posted by JJClamdip View Post
        With the state of the program right now I am not sure many people care today.
        I care, but then again I should change my handle to brokebackshocker because I can't quit WU.

Comment

Shox score in the top of the first, without a hit.

1-0 Shox Mid 1st

Comment

More errors and unearned runs. I think it is the fielding that bothers me most about this team.

1-2 SIU Bot 2nd.

Comment

Shox tie it in the 4th, again without a hit. Mostly they have been striking out with runners on.

2-2 Top 4th

Comment

3 hits in the 7th against rock solid SIU.

This program is going places.
                Deuces Valley.
                ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Arens doubles home the lead run in the 9th. Shox lead 3-2.

Comment

1-2-3 9th. Shockers win 3-2

Comment

Ugly but ill take it.Schwanke really stepped up these last 2 weekends.If and when Tewes and Anderson come Bach Id keep Willie on the weekend and move Hilliard to the midweek.

Comment

I'll take wins wherever and however we can find them right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Play Angry View Post
                          I'll take wins wherever and however we can find them right now.
                          Pulling out a win in Game 1 was important because SIU's pitching falls off after their Friday starter with today's game being proof.

The Shocks trailed 6-4 after 3 innings after surrendering a 4-spot to SIU in the bottom of the 3rd. In the 4th, 5th and 6th the Shocks put up 8, 3 and 5 runs respectively and defeated the Salukis 20-6 in a 7-inning run rule effort.

Sam Hilliard went 2.1 innings and allowed all 6 SIU runs. John Hayes pitched 3.2 ininngs of scoreless relief and John Ferrendelli pitched a 1-2-3 7th to close out the game.

Daniel Kihle was 3-5 plus a walk with a grand slam home run and 4 RBI.

Sam Hilliard was 4-5 with 2 doubles and 2 RBI

Tanner Kirk was 4-4 with a walk, a double, a 2-run homer and scored 3 runs and drove in 4.

The Shocks had 6 doubles and 2 homers among their 18 hits plus they were the beneficiary of 10 walks by SIU pitching.
                          Last edited by 1972Shocker; March 21, 2015, 05:57 PM.

Comment

it seems we have changed our approach at the plate as a team.Drawing more walks of late.We struck out a lot yesterday but we still walked a lot.Really driving up the pitch count on the starters.Looking back to the start of the UCSB series we have really only player one bad game.Lets get a W tomorrow and then on to Stillwater for a real test.

Comment

4 straight??

Comment

Working...
                              X