Notes on last night's practice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Notes on last night's practice

A neighbor of mine who has had season tickets for years invited me to attend the practice last night. He had gone by the baseball office earlier in the day & Scott Guerss, Dir of Op’s, gave him a couple of copies of the roster that included the player’s uniform numbers which came in handy. We arrived at the practice around 6 PM just when the team was finishing batting practice. Scott later told my friend that this was the 4th practice. Here are a few things we observed without trying to remember if a player was on the black or yellow team. Weights & heights are only provided for the new players:

• Catchers: Brandon Kimbrel, 6-3, 195, RS transfer from Hutch CC; Bob Arens, the 5th yr sr, & Taylor Sanogorski, 6-0, 220 lb. Of the 3, we liked Taylor’s throws to 2nd the best. He has a quick, snap throw & all of his throws to 2nd were on the money. Kimbrel hit a towering 3 run HR over the CF fence in the 4th or 5th inning. Gunner Troutwine, 6-2, 210, from Shawnee Mission East, played, but we were not sure what position he played. He is listed as a C on the roster.
    • 1st Base: Sam Hilliard, 6-5, 220, Crowder CC, & Ryan Tinkham, 6-5, 210, Oxnard CC. Ryan had a recent shoulder op, perhaps for a torn labrum. He was limited to making underhanded throws to the infielders between innings during warm-ups. Hilliard is also a LHP who throws in the 90’s, but he also looks like a possible DH prospect as a hitter. He has definite gap power!
    • 2nd base: Tanner Dearman, & Jordan Farris, 6-3, 215, Oxnard CC. They both looked good defensively. Dearman can be a sparkplug on the base paths if he hits consistently as he did as a frosh.
    • SS: Tanner Kirk, & Wes Phillips. Adam Thies, 6-0, 175, from Olathe, KS, & Trey Vickers, 6-1, 185, from Lee’s Summit, MO, came in later.
    • 3rd Base: Chase Rader, 6-0, 210, Coffeyville CC, & Willie Schwanke, 6-1, 195, Grayson College CC. Swanke bats left, but throws right as a RHP. Rader hit a double to the lf corner.
    • Outfield: We could not track where everyone played because it was hard to see their numbers. But, outfielders who batted included Dan Kihle, Mikel Muchal, Michael Burns, Keenan Eaton, 6-1, 205 from Parker, CO; Bret Fehr, the 6-3, 185 lb HS 1st team All-American from Manhattan, KS; & Zach Reding, 6-2, 220, a transfer from Texas Tech who will RS.
    • The starting pitchers were Sr, Ray Ashford, & Chase Williams, 6-5, 222, a RSo, from E OK State. The hitters didn’t do much with Ashford. Williams throws very hard, but needs work on his control. Pitchers typically threw 2 innings. Others pitchers who followed included Regan Biechler, the So who did well last year, Jon Ferrendelli, 6-1, 180, from Chandler-Gilbert CC; & TJ Looney, a Jr,who throws very hard; We may have lost track of who pitched after a few innings. We left around 7:30 because it started to sprinkle.

Other impressions. Todd Butler & Brent Kemnitz sat at opposite ends of the 3rd base dugout. Butler was very vocal . He sometimes took a position in the outfield behind the SS to watch & coach from there. Kemnitz relayed signals to the catchers. There was a lot of situational hitting that went on where some innings would start with base runners already set at 1st or both 1st & 2nd. The hitter would have to bunt. If he was successful, he was allowed to stay at the plate & hit again. Several pitchers sat behind home plate & charted pitches. Kemnitz did the same thing, too. The radar gun mounted on a screen post quit working after a couple of innings in terms of sending signals to the outfield scoreboard so Scott Guerss hand held it & fed info to the pitchers behind home plate. My neighbor went over & talked to Scott briefly & he said that the players really like Todd Butler. Scott also said the annual fall series will run 7 games from Oct 26th through Nov 2nd.

How many thunder sticks?

rdr
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

Originally posted by Ricardo del Rio View Post
      How many thunder sticks?

rdr
      I assume that was left out because the pitchers could only throw fastball/change, so you can't really determine if anyone can hit a D1 curve.

Comment

Originally posted by xazshox View Post

• Catchers: Bob Arens, the 15th yr sr

Fixed
        An “Old West” Texas analysis and summary of Mueller report and Congress’ efforts in one sentence:

"While we recognize that the subject did not actually steal any horses, he is obviously guilty of trying to resist being hanged for it."

Comment

Catcher

JJ Clamdip, I noticed several days ago that you took something I said & misquoted me. I never said Bob Arens is a 15th year catcher. Were you trying to be clever, or add something sarcastic about the team or what? I would suggest that in the future you confine your remarks about the team to something original that is your own observation.

Comment

Is it just me or does it seem we have some size on the roster? We need some hosses out there.

Texas Tech transfer? Anyone have the story there? There's a guy who can hopefully add some CWS experience/flavor back to the program.

Comment

Originally posted by SPEShockAlum View Post
              Is it just me or does it seem we have some size on the roster? We need some hosses out there.

Texas Tech transfer? Anyone have the story there? There's a guy who can hopefully add some CWS experience/flavor back to the program.
              Yes, we do but size and strength sure can't hurt but in and of itself is no guarantee of success. Now if they have quality baseball skills and IQ to go with it then were cooking. Transfers can be a mixed bag. Some work out great. Some not so much. Hopefully, this is one that works out.

Comment

Wichita State baseball rewardz practice ztarz wiff re’ jersey

For those of you that talk Missouri -eze this article has been translated for you.

http://www.missourisentinal.com/2014...th-red-jersey/
                ShockerNet is a rat infested cess pool.

Comment

Wichita State baseball rewards practice stars with red jersey

Here is the article for us outside of Missouri.

http://www.kansas.com/sports/college...le2680659.html
                  ShockerNet is a rat infested cess pool.

Comment

I think Kihle is really going to step up big time this year. Had a good year last year and sounds like he had a good summer. Makes me wonder why the boys not on scholarship. I heard he was told he would get one then a few days later was called and said he will not receive one anymore.

Comment

Working...
                    X