No announcement yet.

Fordham Game 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I missed some of the game but saw the Edsels score their runs. :-x Nice double by the Shocks later. Our pitching needs to get the rust off.
    Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
    Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

I thought Workman made the defensive play of the day going behind 2nd to steal a hit with a strong throw to 1st great to see.
      First a Baseball fan then a Volleyball fan and then I guess I follow the basketball team.

Comment

I saw the highlights on the news tonight. It appears as though Tyler Weber had a pretty good off-season at the training table.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker
          Shocks hold on to win 4-3 on a combined 2-hitter.

Gene no doubt will be a little grumpy.

But a win is a win.
          I doubt this game will upset Gene too much, as the Shocks actually executed pretty well and played good defense. The really bad stretch by Nanney won't make Brent happy, but the I expect there's a little bit of a feeling-out period with the bullpen until the consistent performers are found.

There were two times in the game when Gene was nervously looking down to the bullpen to get a reliever ready quicker. Luckily, both times Fordham obliged and made outs. I though Fordham's impatience at the plate may have cost them chances to do more damage.

The Shocks hitters for the most part looked comfortable. Weber's smash to dead CF was by far the hardest ball hit all day. Most of the Shocks hits were liners through the infield or bloops. The Bascue and Coleman doubles where hustle hits, not rockets into the gaps. These hits are going to keep Gene from getting angry about the performance of the hitters. Most guys made solid contact and there was some good baserunning and hustle all day. Having 2-3-4 wear an 0-fer was the obvious offensive low-light of the day, but those guys will be fine. Even the error by Coleman was sort of an interesting play. A runner from 2B took off on a grounder to Dusty, who was ready to make the play at 3B. Gillaspie, however, didn't make it to the bag in time and Dusty had to readjust and his throw to 1B pulled THill off the base. The whole thing was probably Gillaspie's fault, but both Gillaspie and Coleman will be better prepared to react as the season progresses.

The pitching lowlight of the day was the squandering of a really outstanding pitching performance by Musgrave. Rob threw A LOT of pitches for opening day - did they say the number on the radio? I'm guessing around 80. He was pretty effective all day, although perhaps not as efficient as he can be - there were quite a few deep counts by Rob. The real injustice is Nanney getting the win and his was easily the poorest performance by a pitcher for EITHER team. Save by Fleming was a surprise - he came in and did a job despite not appearing particularly overpowering.

All-in-all a decent (not great) first game. Solid defense, good pitching (except for 1 inning), timely hitting with good execution, and good baserunning.

I hope we can get games 2 and 3 in without delay. If you come out, prepare for football weather. Parkas, gloves, hats, and blankets required. It was cold out there today and I'm going to wear more socks!

--'85.
          Basketball Season Tix since '77-78 . . . . . . Baseball Season Tix since '88

Comment

Great report '85. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Shocker85
              If you come out, prepare for football weather. Parkas, gloves, hats, and blankets required. It was cold out there today and I'm going to wear more socks!

--'85.
              That's not football weather. That's Shocker Baseball weather!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Shocker85
                Originally posted by 1972Shocker
                Shocks hold on to win 4-3 on a combined 2-hitter.

Gene no doubt will be a little grumpy.

But a win is a win.
                I doubt this game will upset Gene too much, as the Shocks actually executed pretty well and played good defense. The really bad stretch by Nanney won't make Brent happy, but the I expect there's a little bit of a feeling-out period with the bullpen until the consistent performers are found.

There were two times in the game when Gene was nervously looking down to the bullpen to get a reliever ready quicker. Luckily, both times Fordham obliged and made outs. I though Fordham's impatience at the plate may have cost them chances to do more damage.

The Shocks hitters for the most part looked comfortable. Weber's smash to dead CF was by far the hardest ball hit all day. Most of the Shocks hits were liners through the infield or bloops. The Bascue and Coleman doubles where hustle hits, not rockets into the gaps. These hits are going to keep Gene from getting angry about the performance of the hitters. Most guys made solid contact and there was some good baserunning and hustle all day. Having 2-3-4 wear an 0-fer was the obvious offensive low-light of the day, but those guys will be fine. Even the error by Coleman was sort of an interesting play. A runner from 2B took off on a grounder to Dusty, who was ready to make the play at 3B. Gillaspie, however, didn't make it to the bag in time and Dusty had to readjust and his throw to 1B pulled THill off the base. The whole thing was probably Gillaspie's fault, but both Gillaspie and Coleman will be better prepared to react as the season progresses.

The pitching lowlight of the day was the squandering of a really outstanding pitching performance by Musgrave. Rob threw A LOT of pitches for opening day - did they say the number on the radio? I'm guessing around 80. He was pretty effective all day, although perhaps not as efficient as he can be - there were quite a few deep counts by Rob. The real injustice is Nanney getting the win and his was easily the poorest performance by a pitcher for EITHER team. Save by Fleming was a surprise - he came in and did a job despite not appearing particularly overpowering.

All-in-all a decent (not great) first game. Solid defense, good pitching (except for 1 inning), timely hitting with good execution, and good baserunning.

I hope we can get games 2 and 3 in without delay. If you come out, prepare for football weather. Parkas, gloves, hats, and blankets required. It was cold out there today and I'm going to wear more socks!

--'85.
                You were right on '85. Gene seemed pretty satisfied with the effort and result all things considered.

Comment

Working...
                X