Kevin Hooper on not getting the WSU gig

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kevin Hooper on not getting the WSU gig

Many had hoped that Lawrence native and former Detroit Tiger infielder Kevin Hooper would bring his team back to his hometown this spring to play a baseball game.Hooper did not land the head-coaching job at Wichita State, his alma mater, but he is bringing his team to Lawrence for a baseball game.
    “The rebellion on the populist right against the results of the 2020 election was partly a cynical, knowing effort by political operators and their hype men in the media to steal an election or at least get rich trying. But it was also the tragic consequence of the informational malnourishment so badly afflicting the nation. ... Americans gorge themselves daily on empty informational calories, indulging their sugar fixes of self-affirming half-truths and even outright lies.'

― Chris Stirewalt

shame he seems like he would be a great coach.... but I also see the part of no college coaching experience. Its different recruiting players when your paying them, but on the flip side getting them to come to Wichita to play for the wingnuts says a lot about his recruiting abilities too

Comment

Kevin would have been a good choice and I think he would have been a good recruiter. Perhaps going in HCTB has built up a much bigger and deeper recruiting network than Kevin would initially have but I have no doubt Kevin would be a terrific college coach and would rapidly build a strong recruiting network, especially if he retained Brent.

I admit I was in the Kevin Hooper camp but I think Todd Butler was a quality hire as well and one I can get behind. Only time will tell for sure I guess.

Comment

I hope Hooper gets some collegiate coaching experience in the next 3 years.

Comment

Maybe Butler should look at adding an Associate Head Coach position?
          Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

I doubt he'd willingly demote himself.

Comment

That's interesting. I thought for sure when the WSU coaching job came up that I read an article that said that Hooper wasn't interested in the coaching job. I'll have to see if I can find that.

Comment

Originally posted by 1979Shocker View Post
                That's interesting. I thought for sure when the WSU coaching job came up that I read an article that said that Hooper wasn't interested in the coaching job. I'll have to see if I can find that.

Kevin Hooper played his last game as a Shocker in 1999 and started answering questions about coaching at Wichita State the next day.
                It seems that way, at least. It’s probably been five years ago, around the time he took over the Wichita Wingnuts, that fans focused on him as a possible future Shocker coach.
                Now WSU has an opening and Hooper is making his interest known.

Comment

Kevin Hooper is a leader, the "previous college coaching experience" excuse was the easy safe choice, it was a huge error to not hire him.
                  An “Old West” Texas analysis and summary of Mueller report and Congress’ efforts in one sentence:

"While we recognize that the subject did not actually steal any horses, he is obviously guilty of trying to resist being hanged for it."

Comment

Originally posted by JJClamdip View Post
                    Kevin Hooper is a leader,
                    Agreed.

the "previous college coaching experience" excuse was the easy safe choice
                    Perhaps, but not totally unreasonable.

it was a huge error to not hire him.
                    Maybe, but at this point purely speculative and we may never know. We can at least give Todd Butler a chance. If he can't get it done than a few years down the road maybe Kevin will get the opportunity to remove any speculation about how he would do.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                      Agreed.

Perhaps, but not totally unreasonable.

Maybe, but at this point purely speculative and we may never know. We can at least give Todd Butler a chance. If he can't get it done than a few years down the road maybe Kevin will get the opportunity to remove any speculation about how he would do.
                      Except in a later thread, you write to give him until 2017. A "few years" now grows to four? Ouch!

Comment

Originally posted by Veritas View Post
                        Except in a later thread, you write to give him until 2017. A "few years" now grows to four? Ouch!
                        Year 1 = 2015 (Next season) HCTB's 1st recruiting class

Year 2 = 2016 HCTB's 2nd recruiting class

Year 3 = 2017 HCTB's 3rd recruiting class (1st recruiting class are Juniors)

I count that as 3 years. Transition seasons such as this one are often not pretty. Marshall's 1st year wasn't. Jody Adams 1st year wasn't. Kristy Bredbenner's 1st year wasn't. Chris Lamb's 1st year wasn't.

Throw in the NCAA violations and the injuries and that makes it that much tougher.

Anyone who isn't willing to give Coach Butler this much of a chance simply is not being fair minded IMHO.

If we aren't seeing significant improvement by the 2017 season then take all the shots at Butler you like.

Comment

Working...
                        X