Gm 50 - vs DBU (1 of 3)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gm 50 - vs DBU (1 of 3)

WSU (25-24, RPI 103) host DBU (31-17, RPI 38) for a battle of 3rd place. This is DBU last hard series with their final series being against SIU. WSU will travel to No. 2 ISUR next week.

DBU Stats (WSU)

Avg: 0.254 (0.280)
    OBP: 0.374 (0.357)
    SLG: 0.382 (0.401)
    RPG: 6.4 (5.1)
    Fldg: 0.970 (0.970)
    Sac-Bunt Per Game: 0.5 (0.7)

ERA: 3.79 (3.36)
    WHIP: 1.37 (1.33)
    K/9: 8.6 (6.5)
    W/9: 4.0 (3.0)
    Def Run/g: 4.7 (3.9)

What is amazing when you look at these stat stats, you would think that WSU would be their better RPI, higher ranked team. Both team SOS are the same (73 DBU, 74 WSU).

Avg: WSU 87, DBU 219
    Double/G: DBU 47, WSU 34
    HR/G: DBU 29, WSU 35
    SLG: WSU 44,

The only thing that stands out is WSU only score 5.1 rpg and DBU scores 6.4 (WSU is ranked 132 in scoring, DBU is ranked 26). But DBU hitting stats are not different from WSU except in one area: OBP - their hitters draw more walks (5.2 BB/g vs WSU 3.6 BB/g). DBU is ranked 48th in OBP, WSU is ranked 135. This should reinforce (which is well known in sabermetric circles) that scoring is function of OBP.

Capture.JPG

Comment

It would be interesting to see what a chart of OPS vs Runs Scored looks like.

Comment

Capture_avg.JPG
        Last edited by SB Shock; May 7, 2014, 08:19 PM.

Comment

Capture_slg.JPG

Comment

Capture_opsv2.JPG
            Last edited by SB Shock; May 7, 2014, 08:20 PM.

Comment

In all cases we seem to be scoring at least 1 run less per game than you would anticipate based on the linear trend for the various statistical averages we have produced this year.

Seems to me this comes back to our inability to have productive at bats with RISP. That's not just coming up with hits with RISP but moving runners along with our outs as well.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                In all cases we seem to be scoring at least 1 run less per game than you would anticipate based on the linear trend for the various statistical averages we have produced this year.

Seems to me this comes back to our inability to have productive at bats with RISP. That's not just coming up with hits with RISP but moving runners along with our outs as well.
                It would be interesting to see the RISP stats, especially across years. Is it because WSU is bad, or are there less opportunities when compared to other years.

Comment

According to the Eagle Cale Elam is starting tonight as HCTB makes the move to set up his pitching rotation for post-season play as discussed on another thread.

The thinking being that Cale, with his experience as a relief pitcher, would be best prepared to come back for a Game 4 in the Valley Tournament on 3-days rest. Let's hope we get to find out.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                    According to the Eagle Cale Elam is starting tonight as HCTB makes the move to set up his pitching rotation for post-season play as discussed on another thread.

The thinking being that Cale, with his experience as a relief pitcher, would be best prepared to come back for a Game 4 in the Valley Tournament on 3-days rest. Let's hope we get to find out.
                    I can kindof follow the logic they are using here, but I think messing with a rotation that has dominated since Day 1 is a risky move.

Comment

Shox win, 8-5.

Comment

Pretty solid 8-5 win against a good team tonight. Try to build on it tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
                          I can kindof follow the logic they are using here, but I think messing with a rotation that has dominated since Day 1 is a risky move.
                          What do they really have to lose? The regular season championship would be nice but at this point seems like a longshot regardless of what they do. Clearly, HCTB is focused on giving his team the best chance to win the Valley Tournament which is the Shocks only avenue into the NCAA Tournament this year.

Comment

I think I heard Shane say that the Shocks were 4-5 with RISP tonight. Not sure that will continue, but that is certainly a recipe for success.

Nice job Shocks.

Comment

Just got home from a great night at the Eck.AJ Ladwig has to be wondering where this has been on Fridays.Hopefully we can do the same for him tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
                              X