Pitching Rotation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pitching Rotation?

I know this comes up every year but most of the time it is to try to get our ace to pitch a mid-week game against top competition. I know GS and BK like to have their "ace" set the tone on Friday night, but is there any chance we will see a real 4 man rotation this year with Shafer, Musgrave, Capra and whoever steps up?

I can see benefits to having the same guy pitch the same day every week, but if we want any shot at a national seed we need to win a lot of those mid-week games against the Big 12 teams too.

Who's going to step up and be a mid inning reliever this season. Maybe Matt Smith? Or one of the newcomers. Dusty Coleman should do a pretty good job as the closer.

Comment

No on changing to a 4-man rotation. Two or 3 days off per week make it hard on the guys to get a X days off, pitch, off day work, rhythm. With the set days for pitching, they get into a routine and stay there. Also, despite what it seems, winning the mid-week games is not really any more important than winning the MVC games. We CAN NOT just go out and lose every mid-week game, but losses on the weekend to lower-tier MVC teams hurts far more than losing to an Okie St., KU, or K-State.

On middle relief: LHP Tyson Fugett and Logan Hoch will vie for a significant middle innings spot with Hoch as the frontrunner. With Hutson out for 2008 and Capra to the rotation, there aren't many leftie arms available in relief. Fugett coming back strong would be huge.

I'd guess Womack will be the main righty middle innings guy, but there are many more RHP contenders and Womack could prove valuable as a starter if any of the top 3 need any significant time off or the mid-week candidates fail miserable (I doubt this). Andy had 9.8K / 9IP last year and has now been in the program for 2 years. He could be a difference maker and might get a look in a "Dreifort-role" if the big 3 starters stay consistent. I believe Andy didn't throw during fall ball, so he might ease slowly into 2 and 3 inning stints.

Don't be shocked if Kohl Nanney surprises (think Kyle Touchatt) - he has been around thr program a long time and at 23 he can be a "crafty veteran."

Observations and opinions only - I have no inside info.

--'85.
      Basketball Season Tix since '77-78 . . . . . . Baseball Season Tix since '88

Comment

Also watch for Muncrief to get some innings. He is a really talented ballplayer. I was very impressed with him in fall ball and he looked very good with the bat as well as at third. But odds are good he gets most his time this year as a pitcher.

Comment

We should find out early who the righties in the bullpen are as Gene said last night that he will follow his starters with a guy that pitches from the opposite side. So with Musgrave going Friday we will see a righty after him and another one on Sunday. He mentioned Womack as starting the season as the closer, but it would probably by commitee, with Coleman, McKeever and possibly Justin Kemp all getting a shot untile someone takes the job. He sounded like he would like somebody other than Womack to close as he would like to use Womcack more in long relief than just a one inning guy. Didn't get to hear the whole show, but did catch this part. He did mention Matt Smith as a guy he expects good things from this season. Should be interesting to see who steps up in the bullpen this season. In an interview with Shafer he made it sound like the bullpen should be really good, basically same results as last season just different names getting the job done. Lets hope he is right.
          THERE ARE FLOCKS OF BIRDS AND MANY A CAT ------ BUT ONLY ONE WUSHOCK!

Comment

Yeah Matt Smith has tremendous potential. he needs to find consistency. he either is mowing guys down or just getting smacked around. But his upside if he could lock down some consistency is huge. I look for him to get a lot of innings in middle or long relief and if he be be consistent then maybe even nail down one of the middle week spots but I'm betting on long relief right now.

Comment

Is Fugett healthy? He sure didn't look to be last fall.

Tim Kelley will play a key role somewhere this year, I think as a midweek starter.

Logan Hoch will be an important left-hander out of the bullpen.

We will need major contributions from several newcomers: Fleming, Maldonado, Muncrief, Kemp. etal.

Comment

Originally posted by SekShocker
                We should find out early who the righties in the bullpen are as Gene said last night that he will follow his starters with a guy that pitches from the opposite side. So with Musgrave going Friday we will see a righty after him and another one on Sunday. He mentioned Womack as starting the season as the closer, but it would probably by commitee, with Coleman, McKeever and possibly Justin Kemp all getting a shot untile someone takes the job. He sounded like he would like somebody other than Womack to close as he would like to use Womcack more in long relief than just a one inning guy. Didn't get to hear the whole show, but did catch this part. He did mention Matt Smith as a guy he expects good things from this season. Should be interesting to see who steps up in the bullpen this season. In an interview with Shafer he made it sound like the bullpen should be really good, basically same results as last season just different names getting the job done. Lets hope he is right.
                well womack had a mlb offer, not a big one, but gene told him if he stays he would be our starting closer.
                or at least this is how andy(church friend) explaiend it to me.
                "Coach Marshall,We will be at Creighton at least 15 hours in advance!"
                CGM--->"Hell yea, and we'll beat their ass."

Comment

Working...
                X