No announcement yet.

Gm 6 - WSU vs George Mason

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jesus, after a hit batter and a four pitch walk to load the bases we seriously swing at the first pitch?? Unbelievable

Comment

Nice job Mr. Biechler.

Looney on to pitch, bringing his 20+ ERA to the 13th......

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
        Nice job Mr. Biechler.

Looney on to pitch, bringing his 20+ ERA to the 13th......
        Soon as I heard Looney name - I knew the shox would lose. Shox trails 5-4 and he has walked two, bases loaded.

Comment

Death by paper cut.

3-2 walk (borderline pitch), seeing eye single, flyout, 3-2 infield single, walk.

1-0, 1-1, 1-2, 2-2, FC. 5-4 Mason going to the bottom of the 13th.

Comment

Same old story with this team, pitching more than solid enough to get the win over the past two games but no offense what-so-ever. In college baseball it's pretty damn solid to only give up 7 runs over 23 innings. The offense has to pick it up.

Comment

Shocks go quietly in the 13th. 1-2-3. Mason wins 5-4. Shane interviewed a guy (baseball america I think) that handicapped the tournament and he said he expected WSU to win. I guess you'd have to call this disappointing so far.

Comment

After this awesome performance, I'm putting baseball back off the radar for a bit. More important things to focus in about.

See ya in a few weeks.
                Deuces Valley.
                ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Shockers still a top 173 team. Disappointed. 4-4 after this road trip
                  First a Baseball fan then a Volleyball fan and then I guess I follow the basketball team.

Comment

We're only 6 games into the season, but thus far, early indications makes me think that it doesn't matter if it was Gene or Todd leading the program. It's strictly a matter of talent, rather a lack thereof. You can coach up a kid until you turn blue in the face, but if that kid has maximized his talent ceiling there's nothing else that can be done.

Someone said it earlier, our offense is downright awful and the exact reason why we continue to be a mediocre baseball program for the past 6 years. Until we bring in guys who can actually hit, sacrifice well and lay down a bunt consistently, we'll continue to circle the drain ever so slowly. Once Gene's players cycle through the program, I'm excited to see what Todd's players will do.

Comment

As regular posters who keep track of such things know, I was (and am) a huge fan of Gene Stephenson. Nevertheless, I've moved on and am pleased WSU has done so, too. I'm looking ahead eagerly to this season.

Having said all that, I can't help noticing that things like failing to cash runners at third with less than two out -- the same things that drew such ire and complaint on here the last few years -- have contributed mightily to WSU's two losses the last two games (one of them UConn's first win). Obviously it's early, and that's going to happen at times no matter who's coaching, but there's no doubt in my mind that if WSU were doing this sort of thing under the previous regime, we'd be getting a LOT of griping about how the Shocks had lost their edge as a program and didn't execute any more.

Honeymoons are wonderful things, aren't they? And ax-grinding can make miscues seem so much bigger.

Comment

Originally posted by WSUwatcher View Post
                        As regular posters who keep track of such things know, I was (and am) a huge fan of Gene Stephenson. Nevertheless, I've moved on and am pleased WSU has done so, too. I'm looking ahead eagerly to this season.

Having said all that, I can't help noticing that things like failing to cash runners at third with less than two out -- the same things that drew such ire and complaint on here the last few years -- have contributed mightily to WSU's two losses the last two games (one of them UConn's first win). Obviously it's early, and that's going to happen at times no matter who's coaching,
                        Ummm, I do believe Butler is playing with Gene's boys, right? Why would simply a change in coach actually the "lack of baseball IQ"? Or their skill level? Can't change the stripes of tiger. It is what it is. Until Butler type players are in place and buy in to his philosophy things are not going to change.

but there's no doubt in my mind that if WSU were doing this sort of thing under the previous regime, we'd be getting a LOT of griping about how the Shocks had lost their edge as a program and didn't execute any more.
                        This program has lost it's edge. It is actually embarrassing, it is a just a typical MVC type program - no longer a national power. I don't see anybody on this board happy with how the this team is playing or executing. I would suggest the reason why you don't see [widespread] griping is because nobody really cares that much - they have moved on and there are better things to invest in. Butler got some work do to win this community back, and the start this weekend didn't help him do it.

Honeymoons are wonderful things, aren't they? And ax-grinding can make miscues seem so much bigger.
                        So I guess you really have not moved on. Gene had a great program once, but he became soft, lazy and got off track in both his personal and professional life and became an embarrassment to the University.

Comment

How bad is Bobbit hurt? He must be hurt or WHY would you take out a .450 hitter and replace him with a .115 hitter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                          First a Baseball fan then a Volleyball fan and then I guess I follow the basketball team.

Comment

Harbutz/Parker suspension may have cost us a couple wins. I, too, would like
                            to know more about injuries. Simpson must be hurt also. Pitching staff has
                            performed pretty well and that is encouraging. Its a long season and how we
                            finish is much more important than how we start.

Comment

Originally posted by asiseeit View Post
                              Harbutz/Parker suspension may have cost us a couple wins.
                              Harbutz was 0.283/0.367/0.350 (BA/OBP/SLG)
                              Parker was 0.243/0.331/0.263

I think it is probably a stretch to think WSU offensive problem are going to be solved with these 2 guys.

Simpson must be hurt also.
                              Simpson was sick and running a fever.

Its a long season and how we
                              finish is much more important than how we start.
                              I guess it all depends on expectations. If you want to be a national power and have a chance to host a regional then you have to beat your non-conference opponents. If your satisfied of earning your NCAA bid through the MVC tournament and then going 2 and Q in the NCAA tournament I guess you are right.

Comment

We also played without middle of the order hitter Simpson. Koeiman went 0-6 in
                                the two one run losses. Yes, I do think that the absence of those two could have
                                cost us at least one, if not two ,losses as had either been available Koeiman ( nothing
                                agaist him ) would not have been in the lineup

Comment

Working...
                                X