MVC baseball tourney

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MVC baseball tourney

Just got back from having to take my kids to that stupid dinasuar eatery located at the legends in KC. It sucked but the kids had fun. Anyways I know the t-bones park is located close to there. I've got this to say.

The MVC baseball tourney would be perfect there!!!!!! WSU and CU and those are the two teams that are usually competing deep into the tourney. Also it would just a great place to have the thing. lots to see and do, plus the Slitterbohn will be there in the future as well and I would imagine that it would be open in May.

Anyways I know I've suggested it in the past but since I just got back from there it makes perfect sense to me.

i meant to say that wsu and cu fans would have an easy drive and those two teams are the ones typically playing deep into the tourney.

Comment

unfortunately I think fan turnout at a site with no local valley team would be dismal at best.
      THE TRUTH SHALL SET YOU FREE

You can call me Bill

Comment

Originally posted by William
        unfortunately I think fan turnout at a site with no local valley team would be dismal at best.
        please other than wichita dismal is what you get when it's at another valley site. a 2.5 hour drive up the road is nothing for shocker fans. You may not get the turnout you get in Wichita but I am willing to bet you would get a better turnout than say springfield.

Comment

I think there would be a good turn-out there.

This is much better than Springfield, Illinois, the last try at a neutral site.

There's lot to do at the West Village.

And I agree, stay away from the dinosaur restaraunt!

Comment

I think it all depends on what you consider "good" is. MVC tournament runs Wed-Sat. It's relative easy for WSU fans to re-arrange their schedule to see games during the weekdays in Wichita.

Once you go offsite it takes 4 day commitment. I think whatever WSU attendance was at Springfield, would be likely similar in KC.

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock
              Once you go offsite it takes 4 day commitment. I think whatever WSU attendance was at Springfield, would be likely similar in KC.
              'zactly, and there were maybe 250 WSU fans there for the entire tournament, and probably 500-600 for the final day. Final game attendance was only 1,274.

WSU has a great core of die-hard fans (one of the best), but the draw for college baseball at neutral sites just isn't there. Until baseball can draw from the local populace, I doubt you'll see a neutral site tournament again - that experiment was a miserable failure.

--'85.
              Basketball Season Tix since '77-78 . . . . . . Baseball Season Tix since '88

Comment

Originally posted by Shocker85
                'zactly, and there were maybe 250 WSU fans there for the entire tournament, and probably 500-600 for the final day. Final game attendance was only 1,274.

WSU has a great core of die-hard fans (one of the best), but the draw for college baseball at neutral sites just isn't there. Until baseball can draw from the local populace, I doubt you'll see a neutral site tournament again - that experiment was a miserable failure.

--'85.
                I think you guys are dead wrong. KC would have MSU, WSU, CU alums living there and probably a sprinkling from the other schools. KC has a large populous and you might get a few who arn't fans of any school but rather just want to see some college baseball. KC isn't Springfield, in other words I can't talk my wife into going to springfield for a weekend (she doesn't like baseball) but I could talk her into going up to KC for a weekend.

You don't know until you try and don't use springfield as an example because it's comparing two different things.

Comment

Ta town,

Nice try, but you're trying to win a losing battle.

1.) The move will NEVER happen, so it's all a moot point anyways.

2.) Neutral sites have not worked well in the past for the Valley, and for a lot of conferences around the country. This will not change.

3.) WSU fans would make it, maybe a few CU and MSU fans. That's about it. You wouldn't have a 'feature' game for a host school. That's where the Valley makes all of its $$. Not having that automatically makes this a 'no'.

4.) I'm sure there are some college baseball fans in the KC area and I'm sure a few would come out, but nothing that would make the move worth it. Let's face it. Valley baseball is not on the minds of most Kansas Citians. They can't even draw for the Royals.

Again, it was a decent effort. But quit dragging it out. It won't happen. It'll never happen. It's not worth arguing about something that's not gonna happen.

Oh ya, and it wouldn't make sense. End of discussion.
                  Deuces Valley.
                  ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever
                    Ta town,

2.) Neutral sites have not worked well in the past for the Valley, and for a lot of conferences around the country. This will not change.

3.) WSU fans would make it, maybe a few CU and MSU fans. That's about it. You wouldn't have a 'feature' game for a host school. That's where the Valley makes all of its $$. Not having that automatically makes this a 'no'.

4.) I'm sure there are some college baseball fans in the KC area and I'm sure a few would come out, but nothing that would make the move worth it. Let's face it. Valley baseball is not on the minds of most Kansas Citians. They can't even draw for the Royals.

Again, it was a decent effort. But quit dragging it out. It won't happen. It'll never happen. It's not worth arguing about something that's not gonna happen.

Not worth it but you had to chime in anyways.

So when Wichita isn't hosting explain to me why KC wouldn't draw same amount if not more than any of the other valley school sights? Or don't since the discussion is over and you would just be helping to drag it out.

Comment

Originally posted by Ta town
                      Originally posted by Shocker85

--'85.
                      I think you guys are dead wrong.
                      I sure could be, but there is a reason why the MVC hasn't been to hip on doing neutral sites. I'm sure if they think they could break even they will try it.

The neutral site that I have heard the most about that the MVC is considering playing is in STL at the MLB stadium (either heard Kemnitz or Gene mention it on their show last year).

KC isn't Springfield, in other words I can't talk my wife into going to springfield for a weekend (she doesn't like baseball) but I could talk her into going up to KC for a weekend.
                      What about the other 3 days of the tournament? Are you going to go watch the tournament the other 3 days?

Comment

Originally posted by Ta town
                        Originally posted by ShockerFever
                        Ta town,

Not worth it but you had to chime in anyways.

So when Wichita isn't hosting explain to me why KC wouldn't draw same amount if not more than any of the other valley school sights? Or don't since the discussion is over and you would just be helping to drag it out.
                        It was worth ending. You're the one dragging it out.

Personally, I think the tourney belongs permanently in Wichita, where people actually give a damn and fan support is there. If it were to be outside of Wichita, it would make the most sense to put it at another Valley school where local interest is there. MSU was a bad, bad team who got run out in 3 games last year. The fans showed up in decent amounts, not good, but decent amounts. I do believe it would've outnumbered a tourney in KC.

Ask Doug Elgin what he'd think about a move to KC. Then get back to me.

And it's sites, not sights.
                        Deuces Valley.
                        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

I think WSU should host the MVC tourney every year. If campus sites are good enough for the NCAA regionals and super-regionals (with a few exceptions), it should be good enough for the MVC. Just my opinion.
                          Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
                          Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

Originally posted by SpanglerFan316
                            If campus sites are good enough for the NCAA regionals and super-regionals (with a few exceptions), it should be good enough for the MVC.
                            Ding, ding ding!

Nail / head.

--'85.
                            Basketball Season Tix since '77-78 . . . . . . Baseball Season Tix since '88

Comment

I've stated that I'm not talking about the Tourney when it is in Wichita.

Please answer my question what other valley sights besides Wichita can you make an argument for drawing better than KC? Missouri state sure did get a turn out last year, really amazing stuff! Granted they sucked but really that’s the chance you take when it's somewhere else other than Wichita.

Also regionals are bid on and you usually want to be in the top 20 as well. Top 20 schools don't have a problem with fan support, great facilities, also it freaking regionals so that whole "good enough for the NCAA's" is a lame azz argument. Youre comparing two different things there. Other valley schools don't have the fan support for baseball, it's just how it is.

Comment

Working...
                              X