WSU Ranked 34th in Collegiate Baseball Preseason Poll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WSU Ranked 34th in Collegiate Baseball Preseason Poll

WICHITA, Kan. - The Wichita State baseball team is ranked 34th in the Collegiate Baseball preseason poll released on Dec. 20.

Also of note in the article:

The Shockers face 12 other teams in 2014 that are ranked or receiving votes in the Collegiate Baseball preseason poll including Cal State Fullerton (1st), Oklahoma State (18th), Arizona State (22nd), Kansas State (28th), UC Santa Barbara (39th), Coastal Carolina (40th), Missouri State (RV), Nebraska (RV), Illinois State (RV), Dallas Baptist (RV), Connecticut (RV), and Missouri (RV).
    Looks like the schedule has been upgraded pretty significantly.

Awesome! Do we know if any of these non conference ones are at home?

Comment

The following games of any significance at home are:

LBSU
      Nebraska
      Fullerton
      OSU
      Dallas Baptist

Comment

Originally posted by SPEShockAlum View Post

LBSU
        Nebraska
        Fullerton
        OSU
        Dallas Baptist
        :good:
        “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

It seems like the WSU baseball program could be coach-less, have a half-full roster, and play at the YMCA, and Collegiate Baseball would throw us a bone in the rankings. It is kind of funny.

Don't get me wrong, I'm really looking forward to the Butler reign, but can anyone remember when we were not ranked pre-season by CB?

Comment

Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
            It seems like the WSU baseball program could be coach-less, have a half-full roster, and play at the YMCA, and Collegiate Baseball would throw us a bone in the rankings. It is kind of funny.

Don't get me wrong, I'm really looking forward to the Butler reign, but can anyone remember when we were not ranked pre-season by CB?
            Wsu problem has not been about "having potential", it has been playing up to their potential. This team on paper should be pretty good if they just play to their potential. If they play a little above who knows what my happen.

Comment

Originally posted by SPEShockAlum View Post

LBSU
              Nebraska
              Fullerton
              OSU
              Dallas Baptist
              Mizzou at Kaufman I think is spectacular.

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
                Wsu problem has not been about "having potential", it has been playing up to their potential. This team on paper should be pretty good if they just play to their potential. If they play a little above who knows what my happen.
                I'm not sure I entirely agree with you with regard to this year's team.
                Basketball Season Tix since '77-78 . . . . . . Baseball Season Tix since '88

Comment

Originally posted by Play Angry View Post
                  http://www.goshockers.com/ViewArticl...CLID=209346095

Also of note in the article:

Looks like the schedule has been upgraded pretty significantly.
                  That is awesome. There is anticipation going into the season already. We've missed that for a while now. Having a spectacular non-con just gets me more pumped!

I think even a greater point to this article is that FOUR Valley teams are at least getting votes. That's a good sign early. Now, that's in no way big east good, but it's up there.
                  Deuces Valley.
                  ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post

Respect.

Still have that name power.
                    Deuces Valley.
                    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                      That is awesome. There is anticipation going into the season already. We've missed that for a while now. Having a spectacular non-con just gets me more pumped!

I think even a greater point to this article is that FOUR Valley teams are at least getting votes. That's a good sign early. Now, that's in no way big east good, but it's up there.
                      Those big least teams you speak of must be clustered around cretin because for some reason they didn't show up on the top 40 list I saw. Maybe I'm missing something. Hey at lest cretin might get the automatic bid from the big least and then they can emulate the basketball team by bowing out in the first round.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                        Respect.

Still have that name power.
                        You are so right. I hope Butler moves that meter from Respect to Fear. I think he can.

Comment

Nice to see the Shocks so high for once, dont normally watch shocks baseball but I might a bit this season.
                          Brummett throws, STRUCK HIM OUT! THE SHOCKERS ARE NATIONAL CHAMPIONS! AN UNBELIEVABLE STORY!

Comment

Originally posted by Onegreatracer View Post
                            Nice to see the Shocks so high for once, dont normally watch shocks baseball but I might a bit this season.
                            These are things that I hope aren't said very often about baseball come this season and beyond. It wasn't all that long ago that people were saying this about other successful athletic programs.

Comment

I'm not trying to throw a wet blanket on this news at all, but just want to toss the below out for context:

CB Preseason Polls - year/WSU rank:

2014 - #34
                              2013 - #32
                              2012 - #37
                              2011 - #23
                              2010 - #27
                              2009 - #36
                              2008 - #9
                              2007 - #17
                              2006 - #26
                              2005 - #26
                              2004 - #9
                              2003 - #30
                              2002 - #9
                              2001 - #29
                              2000 - #14

I stopped at 2000 obviously, but I bet you would have to go back a LONG time to find a Collegiate Baseball Newspaper preseason poll that lacked WSU. Some years we were legit, and the ranking justified. As you can tell from the list above - save for a handful of years - our CB preseason ranking had really nothing to do with our performance that year.

And yes, it is nice to be a college baseball "name" program and get props even when they are not deserved. Worse things in the world and all.

BA is the far more respected college baseball poll. Our performance in that poll is a LOT different over the same period.

Comment

Working...
                              X