Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shocker85 View Post
    Wow, really?

I would not call what we experienced under the #10 regime "inability". I would call it "unwillingness".

But I digress. I am sure Coach Butler has a plan and I am firmly in his corner.

--'85.
    For some reason I don't think "unwillingness" is going to fly very far with HCTB. Call it a hunch or whatever

Comment

Originally posted by DUShock View Post
      I look forward to the season and seeing the program regain national prominence.

Go Shocks!!!
      As am I, although I'm not expecting the return to prominence to necessarily happen in HCTB's first year.

Comment

There is an awful lot of talent on the returning roster to not expect pretty good performance this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
          There is an awful lot of talent on the returning roster to not expect pretty good performance this year.
          As always the key will be the pitching staff. Can't say a weekend rotation of Cale Elam (7-5, 3.17 ERA), A.J. Ladwig (5-6, 4.54 ERA), and untested Freshman Sam Tewes plus Foster Vielock (3.71 ERA) at closer is one that will strike fear into our opponents. All those guys are capable of showing improvement and they will need to.

Comment

Why no Brummett (4-0, 1.16 ERA)? Did we learn nothing last year? Or do we just really want to win the Sunday games in April?

Comment

Why no Brummett (4-0, 1.16 ERA)? Did we learn nothing last year? Or do we just really want to win the Sunday games in April?
              I would think that going into the Spring the pitching rotations should be wide open. You have to love Brummett's mental toughness and his ability to battle on the mound.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                I would think that going into the Spring the pitching rotations should be wide open. You have to love Brummett's mental toughness and his ability to battle on the mound.
                Mostly I love his ability to not give up runs and win ball games. But I do like that other stuff, too. When I've got a guy who gave up 1 run in 6 starts and is the son of the guy who pitched the school to a National Championship, I think I might roll him out there.

Comment

Mostly I love his ability to not give up runs and win ball games. But I do like that other stuff, too. When I've got a guy who gave up 1 run in 6 starts and is the son of the guy who pitched the school to a National Championship, I think I might roll him out there.
                  I agree. Adamantly.

Comment

Can't argue with that although it makes no difference to me who his father is, although it's a nice to have legacies on the team. But as you point out, give the ball to the guys who not only can, but will get the job done.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                      Can't argue with that although it makes no difference to me who his father is, although it's a nice to have legacies on the team. But as you point out, give the ball to the guys who not only can, but will get the job done.
                      While I agree about not handing out free rides because of a legacy, it does speak to an increased likelihood of the mental toughness and battling attributes you mentioned.

Comment

While I agree about not handing out free rides because of a legacy, it does speak to an increased likelihood of the mental toughness and battling attributes you mentioned.
                        Yeah, but some kids will take after their mothers. Come to think of it that would be a bonus with my kids.

Comment

Agree to agree. It was frustrating last year watching him move so slowly into the rotation, especially as others struggled. I'm just hoping he is given an early chance in the rotation, as I think he's earned it.

Comment

I will be surprised if come Feb. Brummett isn't pitching on weekends.Kris Gardner also looks good at the end of the season.It will all play out.Im sure BK knows how well Garrett pitched last season and will slot him in the proper spot.

Comment

Originally posted by pogo View Post
                              For some reason I don't think "unwillingness" is going to fly very far with HCTB. Call it a hunch or whatever
                              There was a time when it wouldn't have got off the ground with Gene's program, either. Between that and the reduced talent level SB accurately noted, it's no wonder there's a new sheriff in town.

Comment

Originally posted by pogo View Post
                                I'm not talking about unwillingness by the players to commit to playing small ball.

Cdizzle - the talent level of the existing roster must be questioned. The program had dropped into total mediocrity. I think it was mostly due to the dark cloud looming, so we shall see. These players can prove me wrong in a hurry, I think.

Again, I refuse to pass judgement until we see the actual performance on the field.

Basketball Season Tix since '77-78 . . . . . . Baseball Season Tix since '88

Comment

Working...
                                X