2. Creighton (1 1st place) 68 points
    3. Southern Illinois 64 points
    4. Missouri State 44 points
    5. Northern Iowa 38 points
    6. Evansville 37 points
    T7. Bradley 31 points
    T7. Indiana State 31 points
    9. Illinois State 19 points

Ok, so assuming you get 9 points for a first place vote, who is the joker who picked WSU to finish last???

Doesn't this happen every year?
    Spoiler Alert: Bruce Willis was dead the whole time!

Comment

Mean Gene did it of course

Comment

Re: MVC Pre-Season Coaches Poll

Originally posted by shocks771
        2008 Preseason Poll
        1. Wichita State (8 1st place) 73 points
        2. Creighton (1 1st place) 68 points
        3. Southern Illinois 64 points
        4. Missouri State 44 points
        5. Northern Iowa 38 points
        6. Evansville 37 points
        T7. Bradley 31 points
        T7. Indiana State 31 points
        9. Illinois State 19 points

Ok, so assuming you get 9 points for a first place vote, who is the joker who picked WSU to finish last???

http://www.mvc-sports.com/ViewArticl...ATCLID=1382604
        Good catch.

Comment

Doesn't Jim Brownlee (former UE coach) do that every year?

Or am I getting my Brownlees confused?

Comment

Royal, I always thought it was Indiana State's old coach, Bob Warn, that always picked Indiana State 1st and WSU last, but I could be wrong as well.

Comment

It's Brownlee who does that. He's did that every year since that fatefull april night in 1999.

Comment

Karma's a b*tch then. Illinois State ends up being picked last in the poll... 8)
                Deuces Valley.
                ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

According to the eagle you can't vote for yourself in first so it would have to be Gene.

Comment

Originally posted by dregn
                    According to the eagle you can't vote for yourself in first so it would have to be Gene.
                    I would suspect that HCGS voted for CU as the sole number 1 team.

Brownlee voted WSU last.

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock

Brownlee voted WSU last.
                      Then how did WSU get 8 first place votes. Since Gene could not vote for the Shocks to win then all of the remaining 8 Coaches did vote the Shocks first. Since the Shocks received only 1 more point (a last place vote), then Gene apparently put the Shocks last on his ballot.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker

Brownlee voted WSU last.
                        Then how did WSU get 8 first place votes. Since Gene could not vote for the Shocks to win then all of the remaining 8 Coaches did vote the Shocks first. Since the Shocks received only 1 more point (a last place vote), then Gene apparently put the Shocks last on his ballot.
                        Your assuming that the Wichita Eagle is correct that a coach can't vote for your own team. Bob Warn always voted his team No. 1 in the past (but I guess it's possible that they put some type of Bob Warn rule in effect, but then why let a coach vote at all for his team then?)

Comment

Brownlee voted WSU last.
                          The Drake coach did it, :whistle:

Comment

Brownlee voted WSU last.
                            Your assuming that the Wichita Eagle is correct that a coach can't vote for your own team. Bob Warn always voted his team No. 1 in the past (but I guess it's possible that they put some type of Bob Warn rule in effect, but then why let a coach vote at all for his team then?)
                            I don't know but the votes total 405, which means all 9 coaches voted for all 9 slots (81+72+63+54+45+36+27+18+9 = 405 Total Points).

Yes I am assuming the Wichita Eagle is correct, and yes it is possible they are mistaken.

Of course, Bob Warn is not around anymore so we know he did not vote the Shockers last. Who knows maybe Lindsay Meggs did it just to continue Bob Warn's tradition (although didn't Bob always vote the Sycamores 1st also). Perhaps, Gene did it in memory of Bob, not to mention to maybe send a message to his team that these polls are meaningless and that until they prove it on the field they are no better than the competition.

The bottom line is we are the clear cut favorite to win this year. Hopefully, we will prove that on the field with a MVC dominating performance this year.

:goshocks:

Comment

Yes I am assuming the Wichita Eagle is correct, and yes it is possible they are mistaken.
                              The MVC office says that the coaches are allowed to vote however they wish for the poll.

They may not vote for their own players for the preseason all-conference team.

Comment

Working...
                              X