Baseball Schedule

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baseball Schedule

I was only paying attention half assed this am listening to Brent on the B&B show. Brent said he asked HCTB if he thought the Shocks were going to be a pretty good team this year because with the schedule as it is llining up is going to be really good. They started throwing names out really quickly and I will have to go back to check which schools they actually said they had games with and those they were trying to schedule in the near future. Fresno, Cal State Fullerton, trying to go beyond just this year with mizzou and trying to use HCTB connections to schedule sec teams. It came out that HCTB will go play them at their place without the guarantee to return which I believe was what GS used to insist on. If anyone else heard this exchange feel free to correct and or add to this.

I had heard WSU was going to be playing more against the SEC down here amongst baseball fans. There was discussion amongst us that a WSU/LSU series would be great, but no chance Manieri takes his club out of Louisiana before required to do so for conference games.

Comment

Brent said that HCTB was open to playing LSU at LSU without a return commitment. He said he thought it would be good for the team to play in that environment which he called the best in college baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
        Brent said that HCTB was open to playing LSU at LSU without a return commitment. He said he thought it would be good for the team to play in that environment which he called the best in college baseball.
        I have no doubt that LSU has a great atmosphere, so I am not arguing that remark at all. I am just hopeful that Wichita State can get back to significant prominence because I remember the atmosphere at the super regional here against Irvine in 2007. Eck Stadium was insane on those two days. I want to experience that again.
        78-65

Comment

2014 Schedule

The schools I heard Brent mention are: Fullerton, Long Beach, Tulane, Cal-Santa Barbara, and Arizona State. Could have been a couple others but couldn't write any faster. Hope the schedule is published soon. I am ready for Shocker baseball to begin anew.

Comment

Getting a funny feeling in my belly that I haven't had for many years. It's amazing what a little rejuvenation will do for the fan base but most importantly the program.

Go Shocks!!!
            “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

FWIW, last year's schedule was released on November 2, so if the same holds true, we still have a couple weeks before we see the finished product.

Yes, very much looking forward to baseball. I'm excited to be headed out to Eck tonight for the first game of the Fall World Series.
              78-65

Comment

Along the same vein on B&B they were talking to the Wingnuts owner and GM yesterday about affiliated baseball and what is needed to revitalize interest in baseball downtown. One of the panel made the remark that baseball fans are fickle and mentioned how WSU was so popular for such a long time but now the fans were far fewer. I got to thinking about that remark and I wondered why my own interest had diminished over the last few years. I am sure its not because of the ou debacle but I think it was a combination of several things for me. First off the product on the field did not produce. At first glance that seems like I'm a pretty shallow guy to use only wins and losses but it was the manner in which they lost that matters to me. Lack of execution of basic baseball, baserunning errors, bad judgement. I understand the bat changes have impacted the game greatly but WSU did not adjust as others have. Recruiting, WSU should not lose out on an in state player in recruiting. If baseball players want to go to a school that identifies itself as a football or basketball school then thats fine but if they are serious about baseball then they should be going to WSU. WSU should never finish lower than 2nd in the valley given the resources we have for baseball. The coaching staff should lead lives that don't remind one of the soap "Days of our Lives". Keep the drama between the lines. I guess I just didn't see any light at the end of this tunnel with the old coaching staff but as others have pointed out I think a new dawn is breaking and I could not be happier. I too will be at the park tonight. Go Shocks

Comment

Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post
                  I have no doubt that LSU has a great atmosphere, so I am not arguing that remark at all. I am just hopeful that Wichita State can get back to significant prominence because I remember the atmosphere at the super regional here against Irvine in 2007. Eck Stadium was insane on those two days. I want to experience that again.
                  While the Super Regional set records for us and the atmosphere was terrific, LSU averages 10,700 tickets sold per game in the regular season. Yes, tickets sold versus butts in the seat are two different matters. But I will bet dollars to pesos that their regular season average butts in the seat mark eclipses our all time attendance record. They love their baseball down there and yes, they love it more than us.

Comment

Originally posted by KC Shox View Post
                    While the Super Regional set records for us and the atmosphere was terrific, LSU averages 10,700 tickets sold per game in the regular season. Yes, tickets sold versus butts in the seat are two different matters. But I will bet dollars to pesos that their regular season average butts in the seat mark eclipses our all time attendance record. They love their baseball down there and yes, they love it more than us.
                    Comparing baseball in Louisiana to baseball in Kansas in the months of February, March, and most of April is like comparing a love of oranges to Apples. I choose to spend my limited budget on basketball (inside) and warmer weather baseball on a game by game basis. Last spring, I chose to not attend any baseball games. most years I'll attend 4-6 game dates in addition to post season games.

Comment

Originally posted by KC Shox View Post
                      There was a MINIMUM 8k at every game i attended last year. There are a lot of butts in seats.

Another thing is the number of games they play. The value for the package is VERY good, and people constantly share tickets to ensure they are used.

Comment

Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown View Post
                        There was a MINIMUM 8k at every game i attended last year. There are a lot of butts in seats.

Another thing is the number of games they play. The value for the package is VERY good, and people constantly share tickets to ensure they are used.
                        Ok DSB, we all know that LSU is superior to WSU. But to show a reason for some (no a whole bunch)of that disparity that you aren't acknowledging is the weather. Tonight, the Shocker World Series is starting. The low tonight and tomorrow is in the high 30's. Baton Rouge' s low is in the low 60's. I would think that accounts for some of the numbers disparity.

Comment

Originally posted by shockmonster View Post
                          Ok DSB, we all know that LSU is superior to WSU. But to show a reason for some (no a whole bunch)of that disparity that you aren't acknowledging is the weather. Tonight, the Shocker World Series is starting. The low tonight and tomorrow is in the high 30's. Baton Rouge' s low is in the low 60's. I would think that accounts for some of the numbers disparity.
                          Who said LSU was superior? All LSU is doing is what Wichita State used to do. They put a talented group of players on the field who are taught how to play the game. All aspects of the game. They charge a price that makes people WANT to buy the tickets. There is such demand, that tickets don't go unused.

Wichita State used to do that. I remember this vividly. The sold out crowds. The people outside trying to find tickets.

My point was, and I hope it was taken as such, that its weird how similar the track LSU took is similar to the one LSU took. Only they moved on from Skip Bertman. Wichita State stuck with Gene Stephenson WAY too long.

Coach Butler can get the players and the quality of the game back. But is it too late to get the fans back?

Edit: And by the way, I was at the last FWS they had when I was in Wichita. The first couple of games were beautiful and in the 60's. The last 4 were were in the 30's. There were more people there for the games in the 30's. And today in Baton Rouge (High 77) people were wearing jackets, heavier than those dedicated Shocker fans those games in the 30's.

Quit being so defensive. I sport my WSU hat and shirt to each LSU game I go. Like so many of those KSU and KU fans many on here despise.
                          Last edited by Downtown Shocker Brown; October 17, 2013, 08:42 PM.

Comment

I misunderstood what you were trying to say. I don't know if WSU had a way (any earlier) out unless Stephenson retired on top like Skip Bertman which of course he didn't. The past 4-5 years were definitely on a continuing downward trend.

Comment

Originally posted by pogo View Post
                              Along the same vein on B&B they were talking to the Wingnuts owner and GM yesterday about affiliated baseball and what is needed to revitalize interest in baseball downtown. One of the panel made the remark that baseball fans are fickle and mentioned how WSU was so popular for such a long time but now the fans were far fewer. I got to thinking about that remark and I wondered why my own interest had diminished over the last few years. I am sure its not because of the ou debacle but I think it was a combination of several things for me. First off the product on the field did not produce. At first glance that seems like I'm a pretty shallow guy to use only wins and losses but it was the manner in which they lost that matters to me. Lack of execution of basic baseball, baserunning errors, bad judgement. I understand the bat changes have impacted the game greatly but WSU did not adjust as others have. Recruiting, WSU should not lose out on an in state player in recruiting. If baseball players want to go to a school that identifies itself as a football or basketball school then thats fine but if they are serious about baseball then they should be going to WSU. WSU should never finish lower than 2nd in the valley given the resources we have for baseball. The coaching staff should lead lives that don't remind one of the soap "Days of our Lives". Keep the drama between the lines. I guess I just didn't see any light at the end of this tunnel with the old coaching staff but as others have pointed out I think a new dawn is breaking and I could not be happier. I too will be at the park tonight. Go Shocks
                              Illness kept me from the yard tonight, so any report will be most anticipated and appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                              X