Sports Sunday - Coach Butler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sports Sunday - Coach Butler

Coach Butler was interviewed on KWCH last night on their sports show. I assume it might get posted online at KWCH.

Evidently Gene took his desk and chair as he said he only has a card table for a desk and lawn chair in his office (I kid a little - I suspect the university is bring him in new office furniture). He has already been bringing in recruits for visits and it takes an hour to just tour the facilities with them. Said he been so excited and involved in recruiting that he has even forgot to eat supper. This is probably helped by the fact his family is not up here yet.

Video posted now:

"If you strive for perfection, often times you can achieve excellence." --Gregg Marshall

Comment

HCTB gives of a great vibe and I'm diggin' the guy! Can't want for Shocker baseball!

Comment

Big sign welcoming HCTB to Wichita on East Kellogg by the RE ford dealership. Also going to be a meet and greet at a wingnuts baseball game the 15 of July with tickets to be given away to Shocker games. Alot of activity surrounding the hiring. Forgot the full page ad in the Eagle welcoming him to Wichita.

Comment

Originally posted by pogo View Post
          Big sign welcoming HCTB to Wichita on East Kellogg by the RE ford dealership. Also going to be a meet and greet at a wingnuts baseball game the 15 of July with tickets to be given away to Shocker games. Alot of activity surrounding the hiring. Forgot the full page ad in the Eagle welcoming him to Wichita.
          Does anyone think that seems a little awkward?

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
            Does anyone think that seems a little awkward?
            I did at first glance but it might suggest that Hooper was not interested in being the asst coach after the interview. May signal that if there are any hard feellings that Hooper is big enough to accept what happened and will live with it. He always has been a classy guy.

Comment

Originally posted by pogo View Post
              I did at first glance but it might suggest that Hooper was not interested in being the asst coach after the interview. May signal that if there are any hard feellings that Hooper is big enough to accept what happened and will live with it. He always has been a classy guy.
              It might also suggest that Hooper, Nate Robertson are both former shockers (Heck Luke Robertson was too before transferring to Butler then Kstate), support the program, and hope for gaining some cross over fans while they are at it.

Comment

HCTB scheduled to be on Sports Daily on Friday, July 31st. Not sure what time though.

Comment

Radio who with Todd Butler

July 31st is Wed, not Friday. So, is it really tomorrow, Wed, or Fri, Aug 2nd, pls? Also what radio station is this, pls? And, what time, pls?

Comment

Radio Show

I got tired of waiting for someone to answer this. The Baseball office told me that Todd Butler will be on the Sports Show tomorrow at 10 AM with Bob Lutz

Comment

Originally posted by xazshox View Post
                      I got tired of waiting for someone to answer this. The Baseball office told me that Todd Butler will be on the Sports Show tomorrow at 10 AM with Bob Lutz
                      Thanks for getting the real info out.

Comment

Coach Butler, Kemnitz and Walker have been hitting the recruiting trail hard. Trying to catch up on 2014 recruiting while also working on 2015 and 2016 recruiting. Thought they were doing OK.

Spoke highly of Casey Gillaspie and said he was having a good summer in the Cape Cod League.

FWS will be held in the latter half of October and will be a 5-game series.

Comment

Once again during the course of the interview HCTB talked about the great legacy that Gene and the fans have built at WSU. Gave all the credit to what WSU is to those that have preceded him. Went out of his way to mention several of the all americans that have played here. Bob asked him if he had a particular type of player he looked for when recruiting and HCTB's answer was he looked for athletes, preferably smarter kids because they already had the self discipline to suceed. He likes BIG pitchers because they throw downhill further. Likes the mid western kids because they are tougher and more hard nosed. Has spent alot of time in Kansas getting their name back out there. Said BK and the other assistant has been busy going to tournaments and showcase's the last couple of months. Said he is looking forward to fall practice so they can implement their style of practice. He says he gets up in the morning and can't wait till its time to practice. No tough questions but HCCL (Chris Lamb) did ask him an interesting question "Now that you have become the HC have old friends kind of shut you out?" HCCL says when he was at arizona and became the HC at WSU it was as if everyone had lost his phone number as far as recruiting went. Before everone wanted him to come see a prospect but not after he came to Wichita. HCTB says that the big W on the yellow caps still have alot of prestige and he hasn't had anyone not call or talk to him about a recruit and again said it was due to GS and what he has built here.
                          Last edited by pogo; July 31, 2013, 04:29 PM.

Comment

As far as hitters he downplayed recruiting the big bashers because he said with the bats currently in use you simply aren't going to find many guys that are going to hit a lot of home runs at the collegiate level with the current bats. He said with today's bats if you recruit 4 huge guys with beards and hairy arms you might be lucky to have one of them hit 10+ homers in a season. He did single out Casey Gillaspie as a guy he was counting on to produce. He didn't really say what kind of hitters he was looking for but the implication is he wants guys who can consistently put the ball in play and my guess is, run a little bit. We will see.

Comment

I thought his stereo typing the gorilla ball type players was humorous. He did say that pitching is where the emphasis is now days and I think thats where ours will be.

Comment

Working...
                              X