Comment

• Originally posted by Ta town View Post
      Your motto is 4 wins

You spend to much time over here, go back to the purple board
      He is waiting for "Washers" season to start

Capture.JPG

Comment

• Originally posted by AndrewVonLintel View Post
        I guess I am confused. Todd Butler was the hitting coach for a team that had really good pitching and really bad hitting and you guys think you upgraded Head
        Coaches?

He doesn't even have a wikipedia page as of 10:28 CST. cough.... cough.... Ron Prince......

At least most of Gene's team is returning next year and I do like the "5 wins" motto.

and you still have Greg Marshall.
        I hate to feed the troll but reading comprehension must not be taught at ag u. Todd Butler was the recruiting coordinator and the hitting coach. Dave Van Horn the HEAD coach decided recruiting would emphasize PITCHING. DVH said they have players in the lineup not on scholarship. In college baseball PITCHERS don't hit. They use a DESIGNATED hitter like the AMERICAN league in MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL. You still have Bill Snider.

Comment

• Originally posted by AndrewVonLintel View Post
          I guess I am confused.
          Fixed. Never let it be said I didn't help a brother out.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
            I never said pitching and defense wasn't important. However, those are our two strongest areas. And yet what seems to keep us from making regionals/supers/Omaha? From what I've been hearing the last 5 years has been hitting. But I guess since not even half of this year's CWS field registered in the Top 30 in the country in hitting, I guess that means we should forego that area for improvement. Since you have the stats right in front of you, what was our rank in hitting this year? The last 5 years?
            I could live with top 20 in hitting.
            I could live with top 30 in hitting maybe.

Given the opponents for 21 games, the Shockers should get fat.

I am pretty sure that the Shockers need more offense - a lot more.
            "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

• Originally posted by molly jabali View Post
              Ok, I missed it...what is the '5 wins' thing?
              Regional - 3 wins
              Super regional - 2 wins
              "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

• Interesting article on Butler from the Arkansas market:

Former Arkansas assistant coach Todd Butler was introduced as the new head coach at Wichita State on Monday, saying he chose the Shockers over other opportunities to leave the Razorbacks this off-season.

Comment

• Trolls live under bridges ... let him be so he can get back underneath his bridge.
                  Up your nose with a rubber hose - Barbarino

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                    I never said pitching and defense wasn't important. However, those are our two strongest areas. And yet what seems to keep us from making regionals/supers/Omaha? From what I've been hearing the last 5 years has been hitting. But I guess since not even half of this year's CWS field registered in the Top 30 in the country in hitting, I guess that means we should forego that area for improvement. Since you have the stats right in front of you, what was our rank in hitting this year? The last 5 years?

This year, WSU ranked #47 in Batting Average, and #11 in Hits.

As you pointed out our defense was good, as we ranked #19 in fielding percentage. But our pitching ERA failed to make the top 50. (We were also #43 in stolen bases).

These stats are from the ncaa official web-site:

Discover the current NCAA Division I Baseball leaders in every stats category, as well as historic leaders.

Comment

• The only ranking that really matters is Wichita State isn't ranked nationally. I'm pretty confident that Butler will change the direction of WSU baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by shocker3 View Post

As you pointed out our defense was good, as we ranked #19 in fielding percentage. But our pitching ERA failed to make the top 50. (We were also #43 in stolen bases).

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/baseball/d1/current/team/484
                        You can't look at a stat like hits...since we played quite a few more games than most teams in the regular season. Should only look at averages or per game stats.

Comment

Unfortunately, our OBP was #67 behind Ill St #31, CU #37, and Bradley #58. It's also what you do with those hits and walks: Scoring Average per Game, WSU #92, DBU #45, Ill St #51, and Bradley #55. Yes, our ERA was not in the top 50, it was #58 and behind MSU #31, Ill St #51, and IN St #54. So, Earned Runs Allowed #58 vs Runs per Game Scored #92 ( I didn't see a total runs allowed per game stat, but I'm assuming since our fielding was #19 that our overall runs allowed per game would have even been higher ranked). Bottom Line: Our pitching still out performed our hitting by a good margin.

Comment

WSU was ranked 92 in scoring
                            WSU was ranked 108th in Slugging

this is after playing 125th ranked Schedule

Fielding Pct in itself is not a great metric in itself. What it really tells you unequivocally if you are bad fielding team. But to determine if you are good fielding team you have to look at other things. For example - WSU pitching staff was ranked 47th in WHIP, 36th in K/W ratio, 31st in walk given up - but 58th in ERA. So why was WSU ERA so much worse relative to other pitching metrics? Was it possibly because they didn't have an out pitch (pitching staff was ranked 102nd in K/9) or was it possibly this team was not as good at fielding as their fielding pct might suggest because they didn't get to as many balls (they were good at doing the routine play well, but didn't have range) or they made error in key situation when under stress?

Comment

• I'm a pretty fair washer player myself. Andrew Von Lintel looks to be in poor washer shape, plus those are some pretty low rent washer boards. I guess Kansas State isn't investing all that Texas League money into better washer facilities. Plus, the washer he's holding isn't even regulation.
                              There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

• This is the question I've been wanting to ask since Todd Butler was selected......"Where's William?"

Comment

Working...
                                X