Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will any current Shocker players (seniors included) be drafted tomorrow?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Surprised Peterson is still there.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
      on one hand, this is good for us, on the other hand, it shows how the talent level of both our players and recruits has dropped off.
      it's not a complete indictment on how far the talent has dropped. the new draft rules have teams looking harder at signability during the early rounds and if they think a kid might not be signable then they pass on them. remember when they had some kids fall to the later rounds only to see them get first 5 round money? they cant do that anymore, so the kids drop further or dont get drafted at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
        on one hand, this is good for us, on the other hand, it shows how the talent level of both our players and recruits has dropped off.
        Yeah it is. That is also going to be the real issue with whoever the next coach is - can he identify great players who can fly under the draft radar and get them to come to WSU.

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
          Yeah it is. That is also going to be the real issue with whoever the next coach is - can he identify great players who can fly under the draft radar and get them to come to WSU.
          Such is the risk of a "Shocker tree" hire with little to no college recruiting experience and my only reservation to Hooper. Having BK there should help the learning curve greatly. During Hooper's playing days at WSU, I often said I'd take 8 of him on the field anytime. High BBIQ, love of the game, and grit. Now, he also appears to get respect from his former peers in professional ball as a manager. He would also likely be someone to "stick around" and not be a jumper. His other assistant would be a very important hire.

On the other hand, WSU might lose the long time hire angle, but gain that D-I recruiting experience with a successful current head coach or top assistant.

Needless to say, I'm torn on this.

Comment

You have made me so very happy. Thank you. Thank you.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
            "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

Originally posted by Ricardo del Rio View Post
              You have made me so very happy. Thank you. Thank you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxWSOuNsN20
              I just read the link/site/page that you provided. Thanks again. It is exactly what I wanted to read.
              "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

Originally posted by lostshocker View Post
                it's not a complete indictment on how far the talent has dropped. the new draft rules have teams looking harder at signability during the early rounds and if they think a kid might not be signable then they pass on them. remember when they had some kids fall to the later rounds only to see them get first 5 round money? they cant do that anymore, so the kids drop further or dont get drafted at all.
                I would think that signability would be at a high point for Wichita State players and recruits in a year where there has been a controversial firing of Wichita State's legendary coach.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                  I would think that signability would be at a high point for Wichita State players and recruits in a year where there has been a controversial firing of Wichita State's legendary coach.
                  had his firing occurred more than a couple of days before the draft, probably so. but given the timing, mlb teams didnt have much time to gauge how much their signability changed.

Comment

Twins take Peterson with the 380th pick of the draft

Comment

Originally posted by Ta town View Post
                      Twins take Peterson with the 380th pick of the draft
                      His hometown team.

"Brandon Peterson ‏@BPeterson_12 1h

@LaVelleNeal Born and raised in Savage, MN and couldn't be prouder! #GoTwins #GodsCountry"

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
                        Actually, Gene and his staff used to be able to do that pretty well, so another staff with good talent judgment and the energy Gene and Co. used to have might do it also. Brad Hill and his crew seem to manage okay.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
                          Such is the risk of a "Shocker tree" hire with little to no college recruiting experience and my only reservation to Hooper. Having BK there should help the learning curve greatly. During Hooper's playing days at WSU, I often said I'd take 8 of him on the field anytime. High BBIQ, love of the game, and grit. Now, he also appears to get respect from his former peers in professional ball as a manager. He would also likely be someone to "stick around" and not be a jumper. His other assistant would be a very important hire.

On the other hand, WSU might lose the long time hire angle, but gain that D-I recruiting experience with a successful current head coach or top assistant.

Needless to say, I'm torn on this.

So how about a combination -- Heefner as head man, Hooper as associate head coach? No problem.

Comment

Tewes goes to Toronto in the 22nd (pick 655).
                            Minnis goes to Houston in the 25th (pick 737).

Comment

The Tigers and David Chadd always used to do us a solid, but now that Gene's gone I wonder if they'll give us any courtesy picks late in the draft.

Comment

Peterson goes to Twins in round 13
                                Tewes goes to Blue Jays round 22
                                Minnis goes to Houston round 25
                                Goedert goes to Pittsburg round 34
                                The draft is over.
                                Two Juniors and two recruits.
                                Good luck to them all.
                                First a Baseball fan then a Volleyball fan and then I guess I follow the basketball team.

Comment

Working...
                                X