What Do You Want?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Do You Want?

2 year extension if JT is replaced and a public marketing campaign from HCGS on what's wrong with the program and how he's going to fix it.
    Otherwise, they all need to go.
    Next year's team on paper should be pretty solid.

I still believe though that ADES has mismanaged this process. Recruiting without a contract extension has definitely hurt. This year should have been Gene's farewell tour if ADES had no intention of extending his contract. With the ADES touch at raising money, a buyout should not have been a problem for the last year. We'll see what he does...
    2 YR extension. No Changes
    1.89%
    2 YR extension if JT is fired
    5.66%
    2 YR extension, fire JT and hire a CiW
    18.87%
    Fire entire coaching staff now
    66.04%
    Do nothing: Allow HCGS a farewell tour next year
    7.55%
    Fire ADES for being a Post Turtle
    0.00%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by Veritas; June 2, 2013, 12:17 PM.

Two points, @Veritas:. 1) We do not know, and probably won't know, what may have gone on behind the scenes at the time, and ever since, the contract extensions stopped. It is possible that a number of other options were proposed by ADES, but rebuffed by Gene. 2) At what price (salary) is one willing to re-consider that Gene can stay for another 3 years? If there is no "retirement" involved at the end of 3 years, for me, there would need to be an adjustment to salary. For example, one that reduces the base salary to $200,000, but has substantial bonuses for performance....winning the MVC regular season, getting an at-large NCAA berth if WSU does not win the MVC tourney, winning the MVC tourney, making the finals of a regional, advancing to a Super Regional, going to the CWS, going to the CWS finals, and winning the CWS. All of which would total much more than he makes now.

Comment

Last edited by Guest; August 10, 2013, 05:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
        Two points, @Veritas:. 1) We do not know, and probably won't know, what may have gone on behind the scenes at the time, and ever since, the contract extensions stopped. It is possible that a number of other options were proposed by ADES, but rebuffed by Gene. 2) At what price (salary) is one willing to re-consider that Gene can stay for another 3 years? If there is no "retirement" involved at the end of 3 years, for me, there would need to be an adjustment to salary. For example, one that reduces the base salary to $200,000, but has substantial bonuses for performance....winning the MVC regular season, getting an at-large NCAA berth if WSU does not win the MVC tourney, winning the MVC tourney, making the finals of a regional, advancing to a Super Regional, going to the CWS, going to the CWS finals, and winning the CWS. All of which would total much more than he makes now.
        Good Points ShockTalk. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out and what ADES did to try to negotiate (if anything). This is a tough spot for ADES, but tougher for HCGS, his staff and the kids. Hope it all works out well for everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by Veritas View Post
          Good Points ShockTalk. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out and what ADES did to try to negotiate (if anything). This is a tough spot for ADES, but tougher for HCGS, his staff and the kids. Hope it all works out well for everyone.
          Again, we probably won't be privy to any "failed" negotiations. I feel that my 1st point is much more likely than not and that any relevant negotiations have long since past. Yes, it is a tough spot for ADES, but I feel that Gene has probably put him there. No proof, just long time WSU baseball fan that has a strong gut feeling how Gene reacts to things he'd rather not do, such as my 2nd point. Given that, I voted the way I did. It is a very sad time in Shocker athletics. A situation that I wish would not need to happen. There is just no way one can justify spending $825,000, guaranteed money, for another 3 years and be in the same situation then, as now.

Comment

Last edited by Guest; August 10, 2013, 05:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GoShockers89 View Post
              This poll appears to be an unmitigated PR disaster for Team B.
              It absolutely is -- in a bizzaro world where what SN posters collectively think counts for anything beyond a hot cup of jack squat. #justsayin :)
              “The rebellion on the populist right against the results of the 2020 election was partly a cynical, knowing effort by political operators and their hype men in the media to steal an election or at least get rich trying. But it was also the tragic consequence of the informational malnourishment so badly afflicting the nation. ... Americans gorge themselves daily on empty informational calories, indulging their sugar fixes of self-affirming half-truths and even outright lies.'

― Chris Stirewalt

Comment

Was the last option made especially for me Veritas?

I have to ponder all of the options before taking the bait..

Shocking that shox1989 thinks Gene should be given a 2 year extension. I wish he could list the reasons why he felt this way.
                Deuces Valley.
                ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

In my view, the best thing would be for Gene to gracefully retire in the next few weeks. I didn't see that option.

Comment

Originally posted by ABC View Post
                    In my view, the best thing would be for Gene to gracefully retire in the next few weeks. I didn't see that option.
                    Agreed.
                    Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

Two points, @Veritas. 1) We do not know, and probably won't know, what may have gone on behind the scenes at the time, and ever since, the contract extensions stopped. It is possible that a number of other options were proposed by ADES, but rebuffed by Gene. 2) At what price (salary) is one willing to re-consider that Gene can stay for another 3 years? If there is no "retirement" involved at the end of 3 years, for me, there would need to be an adjustment to salary. For example, one that reduces the base salary to $200,000, but has substantial bonuses for performance....winning the MVC regular season, getting an at-large NCAA berth if WSU does not win the MVC tourney, winning the MVC tourney, making the finals of a regional, advancing to a Super Regional, going to the CWS, going to the CWS finals, and winning the CWS. All of which would total much more than he makes now.
                      Shock,

Are you the person, who is having trouble with your enter key? I had the same problem. I might be able to help you. Send PM, if you are interested.
                      "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

Again, we probably won't be privy to any "failed" negotiations. I feel that my 1st point is much more likely than not and that any relevant negotiations have long since past. Yes, it is a tough spot for ADES, but I feel that Gene has probably put him there. No proof, just long time WSU baseball fan that has a strong gut feeling how Gene reacts to things he'd rather not do, such as my 2nd point. Given that, I voted the way I did. It is a very sad time in Shocker athletics. A situation that I wish would not need to happen. There is just no way one can justify spending $825,000, guaranteed money, for another 3 years and be in the same situation then, as now.
                        Long since past indeed.

There was a time that Coach Stephenson refused to make the trek to the AD's office for a meeting. If the AD wanted to meet with Coach Stephenson, the AD was the trekor.

Times have changed.
                        "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

Originally posted by ABC View Post
                          You're right ABC. And that could be the path taken and might have received 99% of the votes.

Fever... My vote was close to choosing post turtle. The manner in which this is handled will be his legacy. Hoping the best for the program, the kids, and Gene.

Comment

Veritas, what do you think Sexton could have done differently? I don't think there are any obvious answers of what he could have done or what he should do. It seems to me the burden is on Gene. I don't think there is a clear path, but 68% of the respondents to your poll do see a clear path.

I think that not extending Gene's contract was the right thing to do. It is a bit of a catch-22. The alternative would be that instead of the contract ending in 2014, it would be ending in 2016 or later. Would that really be better for the program and University?

Comment

Why is it up to Gene to fire JT? If JT is a major problem, couldn't Sexton just say "Gene, we're firing JT and need to hire and assistant head coach. If you disagree, you can put your resignation letter on my desk".

Comment

Working...
                              X