Shox vs. ORU make up game April 24, 2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shox vs. ORU make up game April 24, 2013

After losing a tough 12 inning game at Okie State the Shox return home to take on ORU.

Can the Shox recover from the Okie State game? Will the Shox ever bunt again? Freshman Greg Brummett will get his first start as a Shocker.

1989, you are easily the single best fan of Shocker baseball. Kudo's man, you are a trooper. When we get the new coaching staff and they take us back to Omaha, be sure and give yourself a pat on the back because you were the last man standing on Shockernet.

Comment

Originally posted by Shockerman View Post
      1989, you are easily the single best fan of Shocker baseball. Kudo's man, you are a trooper. When we get the new coaching staff and they take us back to Omaha, be sure and give yourself a pat on the back because you were the last man standing on Shockernet.
      You are a lot more optimistic about the future than I am. I have a sinking feeling that the next coach will lead us to new lows before we start seeing any possible gains. I hope I am wrong, but it is a tough new world in college athletics with all of the money going to the BCS conference teams. And I have little faith in our AD to hire the best coach.

Comment

Shocks gettin' er done tonight. Sounds like they are doing quite a few things right not the least of which was the 5-inning, 1 hit effort by Fr. RH Garrett Brummett in his 1st collegiate start and so far 2 hitless, scoreless innings of relief by Fr. LH Austin Sanders.

The offense has been very productive as well with 7 runs through 7 innings.

If I'm gonna get on the guys when they play bad I need to recognize the good work when they play well. :encouragement:

If we can just figure out how to bring this kind of effort consistently.

Comment

There you go Shocks. Shocks win 8-0.

Brummett (5 innings), Sanders (2 innings), Beringer (1 inning) and Mateychick (1 inning) combining on a 1 infield hit shutout and the offense came through against Johnny Wholestaff group of ORU pitchers.

Maybe the Shocks just needed some nicer weather.

Shane as positive about the effort tonight as he was negative about last night.

Now keep it going guys.
          Last edited by 1972Shocker; April 24, 2013, 09:56 PM.

Comment

It was good to see Brummett have a great game. Might want to consider starting him in a mvc game.

Comment

Might?

Comment

My guess is that they will start him again next Tuesday vs Kansas and if he can back up tonight's performance with another solid effort then they might then move him into the weekend rotation if one or more of the starters struggle this weekend at SIU.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                  There you go Shock. Shocks win 8-0.

Brummett (5 innings), Sanders (2 innings), Beringer (1 inning) and Mateychick (1 inning) combining on a 1 infield hit shutout and the offense came through against Johnny Wholestaff group of ORU pitchers.

Maybe the Shocks just needed some nicer weather.

Shane as positive about the effort tonight as he was negative about last night.

Now keep it going guys.
                  Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
                  It was good to see Brummett have a great game. Might want to consider starting him in a mvc game.
                  Definately great to see Brummett do so well tonight. Also a nice bounce-back from last night's coaching debacle.

That said, I'll still throw water on this. We did not play the ORU of old....the ORU that we've always had a difficult time with. They are now 13-25, with an RPI of about 140, and a NPI of 203. I'm guessing they are short on pitching. While going 7-10 against the top 100, they are 2-13 against 101-200. This win is basically another win against a Valley bottomfeeder.

Comment

After being so mad about last night I wasn't going to go tonight.Ive missed maybe 5 games in the last decade.My son really wanted tomgo so I went.Glad I did.It was a nice evening at the park and good to see us rebound despite ORU being bad this year.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
                      Definately great to see Brummett do so well tonight. Also a nice bounce-back from last night's coaching debacle.

That said, I'll still throw water on this. We did not play the ORU of old....the ORU that we've always had a difficult time with. They are now 13-25, with an RPI of about 140, and a NPI of 203. I'm guessing they are short on pitching. While going 7-10 against the top 100, they are 2-13 against 101-200. This win is basically another win against a Valley bottomfeeder.
                      That's one reason why I think they will test Garrett further before throwing him into the weekend mix. Even if he does well against Kansas they would not move him into the weekend rotation unless one of the weekend guys falter. Not really that important. The more important thing is to get a bunch of arms ready for the MVC Tourmanment. Winning that is our only route to post-season play.

Comment

Correct me if I am wrong, but the last time a kid named Brummett started for us, we were about to win a National Championship.

I probably wouldn't have waited 43 games to give the kid the ball from the get go, but what do I know?

Comment

I will say this. Even though ORU is not very good, anytime you throw a 1-hit shut out and only face 29 batters you've done some good work.

Also for this team to put up 8 runs while getting nothing from Casey Gillaspie (0-5) is something quite out of the ordinary as well.

It remains to be seen whether or not it means anything positive going forward.

Comment

I too will give credit where credit is due. This team is fielding something like .978, good for a top 20 spot in the nation. That's a nice surprise after kicking it around most of the last 4 years or so.

Well done guys.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                              I will say this. Even though ORU is not very good, anytime you throw a 1-hit shut out and only face 29 batters you've done some good work.

Also for this team to put up 8 runs while getting nothing from Casey Gillaspie (0-5) is something quite out of the ordinary as well.

It remains to be seen whether or not it means anything positive going forward.
                              I agree with that. This ORU team is definitely NOT THE ORU of old, but any time you can 1 hit a team, totally shut them down and score a 8-0 win it is good. Especially after just playing a 12 inning marathon the night before. The team came out prepared and looked very good tonight.

This is not the ORU of old but it is not Friends or Sterling either.

Comment

Working...
                              X